10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2017 2:31 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KYK No HDMI signal/handshake

lloyd5

I just recently picked up a NUC6i7KYK and have it set up with Ubuntu 16.04 and been using it as a HTPC, though I have been having some issues with what I presume to be HDMI handshake issues.

The RAM/SSD I'm using are Crucial 16GB 2133Mhz (CT2K8G4SFD8213) and a Samsung 850 EVO (MZ-N5E250BW) and I am using the most recent 0042 BIOS revision.

The initial problems arose the first day I had it in that when I put the NUC to sleep/suspend it would not show video upon resuming. I started shutting it down completely instead, but now the problem is persisting in that from a cold boot it still refuses to send a handshake and my LG TV simply displays no signal. I have searched around for answers to this but keep finding issues with either old NUC's that were supposedly 'fixed' with BIOS updates, or issues unrelated to a simple lack of video signal. There should be absolutely no issues with cables or other hardware as everything works after a reboot. Manually selecting/re-selecting inputs, turning the TV on/off, and unplugging and reinserting cables have had no effect.  Only a full reboot has fixed it, and it's starting to seem that might not be a viable option for long.

I do know this to be an issue with the video signal, as I have my speakers plugged in to the headphone jack on the front, and using my media keyboard can adjust volume which makes the usual 'pop' of the Ubuntu volume indication noise, meaning the OS is running with seemingly no errors, I'm just not getting any video signal.

Any help is appreciated, as I spent a good bit of money on this thing and am kind of disappointed with this, as my old setup was working fine minus the age/state of the hardware.

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK No HDMI signal/handshake
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

In order to try to fix this problem first try to restore the BIOS to defaults, to make sure all the settings in the BIOS are working at stock configuration.

Also we can try a HDMI firmware update using the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26061/HDMI-2-0-Firmware-Update-Tool

By any chance do you have the option to use a different HDMI cable? Even though it seems to be working fine is just to rule out a possible problem with the cable.

Also, as an option since you are using Ubunto, on the following link you will find the forums for Linux support, the peers in there might be able to provide further suggestions in order to try to find a possible solution for this issue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Did you try different HDMI ports on the TV?

With most of the TV’s there is an option to do a firmware update, did you check with LG if that option is available for your TV?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK No HDMI signal/handshake
            lloyd5

Defaulted BIOS to default settings, still no luck. Changed HDMI cables, input ports, and even changed TV's, all having the exact same issue.

The link to the HDMI firmware update seems to be limited to windows OS's, unless there is another version or way to update HDMI firmware on Linux I'm not seeing. And I really doubt the issue has anything to do with Linux specifically though I could install a fresh copy of windows and see if the issues persist but I'd like to save that as a last resort.

Updating TV firmware seems to be out of the question as LG does not list my specific model number on its support base.

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK No HDMI signal/handshake
              Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

In this case to test the NUC using Windows will be the next thing to do as a last resort, because basically at this point we tried all the possible troubleshoot steps for this scenario.

And yes, the HDMI firmware update is limited to Windows, let me apologize for that, so if you are going to install Windows you can try to do the firmware update as well.

If you are using Linux then all the information for that OS will be provided on their forums by different peers.

So, please try to test the NUC with Windows and let us know the results, remember to do a back up if you have important information store on the SSD.

Any questions please let know.

Alberto

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK No HDMI signal/handshake
                Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if the issue still persists or if it was resolved?

Regards

Alberto

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK No HDMI signal/handshake
                  lloyd5

Sorry, been pretty busy with the holidays and various other computer issues. I haven't had the opportunity to install Windows again, but once I do I will have to figure out how I am going to install it at all, seeing as how Win7 doesn't have USB3.0 drivers, and I have no copies of Win8+ to either use the tool for, or to install to the NUC to begin with. For the time being I have just left it running and turning the TV on and off instead of the NUC itself. I will try to report back once I have gotten Windows installed and HDMI firmware updated.

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK No HDMI signal/handshake
                    lw1948

Hallo lloyd5

Try to change in BIOS settings:

1. Advanced

2. Devices

3. Video

4. Change the IDG Primary Video Port from default AUTO to HDMI

5. Press F10 to save and exit.

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK No HDMI signal/handshake
                      Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to for the information provided above.

To :

Perfect, no problem, take your time in order to perform those tests.

To install Windows® most of the customers create a bootable USB to install it using the following link:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Now, for the USB 3.0 ports to work with Windows® 7, you will need to install the drivers during the installation process, please try any of the following options to do that:

Windows® 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility, please verify where it says “read me” to get the instructions:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Install USB 3.0 drivers manually:

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/installingwin7fromusbflashdrivesontousb30computers.pdf
                      When you get the chance, please let me know the results of the tests and of tyring the steps above.

Regards

Alberto

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK No HDMI signal/handshake
                        lw1948

Hello lloyd5 ,

1. There is an easier way to test your NUC with Windows. Instead to install Windows 7 (which is very problematic and time consuming on NUC), test your NUC with Windows 10.

2. I suppose that you don't have a license for Windows 10, still you can install it without license and use it so for some three weeks without activation.

3. Download the Media Creation Tool: Windows 10

4. Using Media Creation Tool create a installation media (USB flash drive) containing WINDOWS 10 PRO 64bit: Windows 10 

5. Use this USB to install Windows 10 on your NUC: Windows 10 Forums

6. All the installation process will take less than 15 minutes. During installation process you will be asked to enter Product Key number. Press I don't have a product key  and the installation will continue.

7. Did you try to change the setting in BIOS (see my post above numbered 6)?

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK No HDMI signal/handshake
                          Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for providing the suggestion and all the steps above.

To :

Once you get the chance to try all the suggestion provided on this thread, please let us know the results.

Regards

Alberto

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK No HDMI signal/handshake
                            Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if you were able to install Windows and to do the HDMI firmware update and if the issue was resolved or if it still persists?

Regards

Alberto