4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 11:42 AM by quietdragon

Hello... newbie questions (trying to boot up d510)

bvz

Hello,

I am completely new to the world of building a computer, but am a quick learner.  I purchased a d510 mobo and a picoPSU 60W power supply.

I want to start building the system but I have noticed a few things and I am completely stuck.  Pardons for the extremely basic nature of my questions.  Like I said, I have never done this before.  My issue is this: I have installed 2GB DDR2 memory (2x1GB sticks) and attached a VGA monitor and USB keyboard to the system.  I have plugged in the picoPSU to the mobo (but it is a 20 pin connector vs. the 24 pin connector on the mobo).  When I plug the unit into the wall, nothing happens.  No beeps.  No post screen.  Nothing.  I DO get a green led lighting up but that is all.

Here is my stupid question: Do I need to "turn it on"?  I do not have a case yet (and, in fact, will be building a custom one out of wood) and so do not have an on/off switch.  Does that mean I need to jumper pins 6 & 8 on the "front panel" group near the memory?  If so, can I just use a regular jumper for now till I manage to buy an actual switch?

Thanks for indulging me in this kinda dumb question

A second question would be regarding my PSU...  the picoPSU has a 20 pin connector, but the motherboard has a 24 pin connector.  I checked this thread: http://communities.intel.com/message/81568#81568 and it appears that I *should* be able to use this power supply with this system, right? The vendor which sold me the board also recommended the PSU to go along with it so I am partly basing my assumptions on that.

I intend to run the system headless with two 1TB WD Green drives, a USB thumb drive, and nothing else (freeNAS).  Is this PSU enough or should I return it and get a more powerful unit?  Energy conservation is the key here as the unit will be on 24/7.

Thanks!

Ben

• 1. Re: Hello... newbie questions (trying to boot up d510)
          bvz

Ok, partial answer.  Jumpering pins 6 and 8 does not result in anyting happening...  do I need an honest to goodness on/off switch?

• 2. Re: Hello... newbie questions (trying to boot up d510)
            xB2Spiritx

i strongly recommend to use the 24 pin power configurations..

using 20 pin is giving the mobo minimal power... since you have such a heavy asset devices plan to use on that pc.. getting a higher watt PSU like 550watt pSU will settle the problem and make sure you use the 24 pin..

best all

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Hello... newbie questions (trying to boot up d510)
              bvz

Ok, this was most likely obvious to everyone, but I managed to figure it out

Doing some reading up on ATX power supplies, I saw that the switches are momentary on/off switches.  So I simply used a bit of copper wire to momentarily bridge pins 6 and 8 and the board powered up.  Touching them again will shut the system down.  On Tuesday, when the electronics shop opens up again, I will be buying myself a real atx power switch.

Now I have to get myself a better power supply.

• 4. Re: Hello... newbie questions (trying to boot up d510)
                quietdragon

bvz wrote:

A second question would be regarding my PSU...  the picoPSU has a 20 pin connector, but the motherboard has a 24 pin connector.  I checked this thread: http://communities.intel.com/message/81568#81568 and it appears that I *should* be able to use this power supply with this system, right? The vendor which sold me the board also recommended the PSU to go along with it so I am partly basing my assumptions on that.

I intend to run the system headless with two 1TB WD Green drives, a USB thumb drive, and nothing else (freeNAS).  Is this PSU enough or should I return it and get a more powerful unit?  Energy conservation is the key here as the unit will be on 24/7.

I think you've got your POWER ON/OFF question sorted out now.

I presume you're using the PicoPSU from Mini-Box. I'm running a similarly mini-PSU (though not from Mini-Box) and the motherboard runs fine. The main power connector supplies the motherboard alone and the steady state draw should only be in the region of 20W from what I've heard. The 20 pin ATX connector is fine for this purpose.

Your hard drives should be powered directly from the SATA power connector from the PicoPSU. The WD web site says that the read/write power draw is about 5W. With two drives that would be 10W.

That is 30W total which is way less than the 120W specification for the PicoPSU.

The great thing about using the PicoPSU (or something like it) is that it is small, efficient, and completely silent.