8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2016 10:00 AM by Intel Corporation

No screen and rebooting

Imagios

Hi,

I have a severe issue, mu Nuc skull canyon will not start, I powered it down this morning normaly, and now when I power it up, it will run for a minute or so, reboot and doing this all over again, I use 32GB on Hypex memory 2133 MHz and a Intel M.2 drive, all should be fine although I don't have a way ho to test them separately.

I tried to remove the BIOS jumper so I could recover BIOS, it gave me once a screen, I got into BIOS loaded defaults saved and rebooted, but since then I get only the reboots, with or without jumper still the same, Nuc just not responding, no input on either HDMI or Display Port, would even call a technician to fix it but found none here around in CZ Brno. Any suggestions?

The last thing I did before that was setting primary output to TB in BIOS, and worked in Windows as usual, shutted down correctly and since then I have this issue.

• 1. Re: No screen and rebooting
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Imagios,

Set the jumper to the normal position, try accessing the BIOS and once again press F9 to load defaults. 

Try testing the NUC with one RAM stick.

What is the model of your M.2?

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: No screen and rebooting
            Imagios

Hi Amy,

I returned the jumper to normal, but when I reboot the power button is lighted but nothing happens, until it reboots I dont get even the BIOS screen, tested the NUC without RAM, got the 3xlight 3xbeep error, as it should, tested with just one RAM and its the same as described, no response power button lighted and after a while reboot.

The M.2 is: HDD SSD Intel 600p Series, TLC, M.2, 80mm - 512GB

Tried even without the M.2 just to get a error message, but noting happens at all, tried both HDMI and Display Port which is working as I now use it with another PC.

• 3. Re: No screen and rebooting
              N.Scott.Pearson

If you also remove the DIMM(s), do you see the Power LED flash (3 times) when you attempt to power on?

I suggest that you try clearing CMOS. Instructions for doing so can be found here: Intel NUC Clearing CMOS. If you cannot see and get into BIOS Setup then, you could also try doing a (Re-)Install of the latest BIOS using the Recovery Method. Instructions for doing so can be found here: Intel NUC BIOS Recovery Update Instructions.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: No screen and rebooting
                Imagios

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately it's not working either, I downloaded the bio file placed it on empty flash and still the same, tried 2 flash drives, with and without jumper, holding 3sec power button, nothing helps no input to Display a Nuc reboots after a while. If I  would be able I would just unplug the battery, but I will not do anything that would require complete disassembly. Any other options?

• 5. Re: No screen and rebooting
                  N.Scott.Pearson

No, there are no other options.

It only takes the removal of two screws to enable the board to be removed. You do have to be careful to not damage any of the connectors (or other things that stick out - like the CIR receiver) when doing so, so I do agree that this is not for the faint of heart. I do it all the time, but I have been doing so since the first NUCs were released and had lots of practice in the early days when the pre-production NUCs came completely unassembled (bare boards in one box, chassis in another) and we had to put them together ourselves.

So, you have two choices, try disconnecting the battery or just give up now and call Intel Customer Support to arrange a RMA...

...S

• 6. Re: No screen and rebooting
                    Imagios

Well ist in the scull canyon much more than 2 screws, but I made it and it work now,... man I dont want to do this ever again... I guess this leads to a new topic, we need Intel to really fix the BIOS so it will be stable, esp. with the TB3 items and eGPUs, I guess gone are the days where BIOS was the most stable and reliable part of a PC

• 7. Re: No screen and rebooting
                      Intel Corporation

Thank you for the help N.Scott.Pearson.

Imagios we can try some troubleshooting steps in order to address this matter before calling it a BIOS issue, if you would like to do that I would need more information such as drivers, operating system, cables versions, the TB device you are using.

Regards,

Amy.

• 8. Re: No screen and rebooting
                        Intel Corporation

Please let me know if you would like to proceed with the suggestion mentioned above.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.