1 2 3 Previous Next 86 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2017 10:29 AM by cvare

NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves

djhalogen

Hi There

I am getting very frustrated with my NUC. I am running the NUC6i7KYK on Windows 10 with a Samsung 960 Pro 512GB and 2 x 8GB HyperX Impact DDR-4 RAM (2133 MHz). I have all the newest drivers intalled and I am running on the newest BIOS version. I have already reinstalled Windows, without success.

The problem I am experiencing are frequent freezes. However, I have never experienced this kind of freezes on any system before. Often, a certain program starts freezing at first while I can still more or less operate many of the others. However, if I open the task manager I can neither kill any program nor can I shutdown the system. If I do the latter, there is simply nothing happing. Generally, the issue becomes more severe the longer I try to enter other programs. More and more programs become unresponsive until none is working anymore. The only thing that always works up to the point of forced restart is the mouse. Anybody know what to do here? Or is the NUC simply broken?

Cheers,

Patrick

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
          N.Scott.Pearson

I have said it before (multiple times), not a fan of HyperX memory...

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

Have you tried one stick of ram at a time on different slot? Is there a possibility that you can try different RAM?

You can see supported rams for this unit at the following link:
            http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020648.html

Regards,

Ivan.

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
              djhalogen

Hi Ivan

Unfortunately, I do not have some other RAM of this form factor available. However, the sticks I am using are named in the list of supported RAMs, so I expect them to not make any problems, unelss they are broken in some way. It kind of appears that the freezes occur more prominently if I use graphical software, like CAD program. However, the freezes may also occur if I am just playing some music.

Best,

Patrick

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
                pjred

Hello,

I'm having the same issue. Apart from the HDMI colour issues I've reported in another post, I've had the same random freezes, exactly as reported above by Patrick. Getting sick of hitting and holding the power button.

My system has a Samsung 960 EVO 512GB and 2 x 8GB Crucial CT8G4SFD8213 (which were on the approved list) and Win 10 64bit with all latest bios drivers etc...

Another issues I have is that it takes more than 10 minutes or so to open up "Devices and Printers".

Starting to get very disappointed with this Skull Canyon. Too many issues for a new PC.

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
                  Gester

I also have this exact same problem and you described it pretty well. I've never seen this before or this type of "freezing". Happens about once a week - everything stop then you cant actually do anything but can still click stuff. I can open Task Manager but nothing responds.

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
                    Intel Corporation

Hello everybody,

Could you please reply with your hardware and software set up to better assist?

RAM part numbers:
                    SSD 2.5 and M.2 models:
                    BIOS is set to RAID or AHCI:
                    Graphics driver version, you can attach the report for Intel® graphics driver.
                    BIOS version:
                    Single display or multiple displays:
                    Any adapters or straight connection through DP or HDMI:
                    Windows version and build version:

I’m asking for the hardware information because we have tested the Skull Canyon and we don’t experience similar issues, so to further assist it will be good to have the system configuration from you all.

Also, I will appreciate if you could attach the following information:

Intel SSU (System Support Utility) (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility): 
                    Download Intel® System Support Utility

1. Download the utility
                    2. Run the exe and select ‘Scan’
                    3. Save and include as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

DxDiag Instructions:
                    1. Click on the “Start Menu” -> Type “DxDiag” -> Press “Enter” -> Wait for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to finish loading
                    2. In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click “Save All Information” -> Save the file DxDiag.txt
                    3. Include DxDiag.txt as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

DispDiag Instructions:
                    1. Click on the “Start Menu” -> Type “cmd” -> Then a command shell window will open
                    2. In the command shell, type “dispdiag –out %homepath%\Desktop\DispDiag-Intel-Issue.dat” -> The command shell will output something similar to “Dump File: C:\Users\[username]\DispDiag-########-######-#####-#####.dat”
                    3. Locate the .dat file on your desktop and include DispDiag-Intel-Issue.dat in the Intel Community Forum

Regards,

Ivan.
                    • 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
                      pjred

Hi again, I have attached the info you requested.

Winver: 1607 (OS build 14393.576)

Samsung 960 EVO 512GB and 2 x 8GB Crucial CT8G4SFD8213

Bios 0042 set in AHCI formatted in UEFI mode. Using Fast boot, otherwise default bios settings.

Single display HDMI straight through to Samsung Series 9 75 inch KS9005 4K SUHD TV with latest Samsung Firmware.

I did have a 1080P monitor connected through miniDP as well, but was using Samsung TV as Single display only at time.

I also used your driver update utility, and it was telling me I had some drivers out of date, but when I downloaded and tried to update they stayed the same older version.

I'm using the latest display beta version, but the freezes and colour issues (see thread: https://communities.intel.com/thread/109130) were there with the last 2 official versions as well.

And the RST driver won't install at all, says system not suported.

By the way, at the time my system froze with the sysmtoms reported in this thread, I was watching a movie from my Skull Canyon to my Samsung TV using Potplayer.

Never had this type of freeze before using this player. As reported, you can click on things, like open Task Manager, but you can't close anything or end any tasks.

You can even click on Shutdown or Restart but nothing happens. Had to hit and hold Power Button to reset.

Paul

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
                        Gester

My Details are:

Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB

32GB DDR4 G.SKILL RipJaws

BIOS: 42

Displays: 3 x 27" Dell U2717D with two using MiniDisplay Port in daisy chain and the third via HDMI

I had this crash about 6 hours ago so it definitely still happens. It DOES however seem to happen more often when using VLC Player and watching stuff over a network.

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
                          djhalogen

Hi Ivan

Thanks for helping out. My details are:

RAM: Kingston HX421S13IBK2/16

SSD: M.2 NVMe Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB

BIOS in AHCI

Display Driver: 21.20.16.4534

BIOS Version: 0042

Single Display @ 4k, 60Hz, direkt connection HDMI

Cheers,

Patrick

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
                            Intel Corporation

Hi all,

I can see that all of you are using similar SSDs, by any chance, can anyone of you try with different SSD, different brand and maker to try to isolate the issue, if it is possible if not that is understandable.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
                              Intel Corporation

Hi,

I just want to ask if anyone of you tried the NUC with different SSD.

Thank you.

Ivan.

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
                                pjred

Sorry, but I haven't been able to try another SSD as I don't have another to try.

But I've had another freeze and again was watching a movie with Potplayer.

Everything started to slow up, mouse still moves and could open up things but couldn't close anything down, even through Task Manager. Restart and shutdown was unresponsive as well. Had to hold power button to reset.

Paul

• 13. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
                                  Intel Corporation

Being that the case, please be aware that Intel® provides three years warranty for this unit, we have tested this Intel® NUC and we don’t experience similar problems with different hardware installed.

I have sent you a private message if you want to set up a warranty return, however this for me seems to be either the ram or the SSD.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 14. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves
                                    djhalogen

I just wanted to write that I have not experienced any further freezes lately, until it actually happened again just a few minutes ago. For me, changing the SSD is not really an alternative. The Samsung 960 is the fastest SSD on the market and if the NUC cannot handle it, then this is not acceptable. Also, I don't believe that the SSD is damaged. At least, I couldn't find any other reports where users complain about freezes with this SSD (other than this thread here). As for the RAM, I use approved sticks, so I expect that no issues should occur on that side.

In general, I have to say that I am quite disappointed with this product. Other issues I am experiencing are the loud fan (my earlier NUC was much quieter in normal Windows use), and the incapability of the system to be woken on LAN. For the latter I have already gone through all helps I could find online (e.g. activating WOL in BIOS and device manager, turning off fast boot) but it simply does not work. I am not getting this computer to wake up remotely, not even from S3. I have already spent so much time trying to offest all the issues I am experiencing with this system. I attempt to return it via our supplier.

Best,

Patrick

1 2 3 Previous Next