13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2017 2:51 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed

nl_eddie

Hi,

LAN network transfer speed is around 200Mbps when the max it can transfer is 867Mbps. I've used Iperf3 to check the speed and it is only reporting around 250Mbps. Any idea on how to achieve the max speed possible?

-Nay

• 1. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Nay,

The actual speed of the connection depends on many factors, such as operating system, hardware and software configuration, access point, internet service capabilities, etc. The maximum speed of the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 is 867 Mbps, and it is enabled by 2x2 802.11 ac implementations.

For more information, we would require the following details:

- Computer brand and model.
          - Operating system version.
          - Access point model and firmware version.
          - Was this adapter built from factory with your computer? or is it a custom upgrade?

Regards,
          Jonathan.

• 2. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed
            nl_eddie

Hi,

My computer is Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2016. I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-bit. My router is TP-Link Archer C7 and the firmware version is Archer C7(US)_V2_160719. The adapter was built in from factory. I'm connected to the 5GHz network and I'm right next to the wireless router when trying to transfer the files.

-Nay

• 3. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed
              Intel Corporation

Hello Nay,

With the hardware and configuration you have, the AC 8260 should use the maximum speed, please keep in mind that the actual transfer rate is affected by other factors. Here are few items for your consideration:

- Review your router configuration, and make sure you have an SSID dedicated to 5 GHz and 802.11ac. Use this SSID when connecting the AC 8260.

- Also in the router, make sure QOS WMM is enabled, also verify that any QOS access lists or bandwidth limitation are disabled or giving priority to the AC 8260.

- Apply the configuration from the following advisory: Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity

If the issue persists at this point please let us know the following details:

- Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create a report with all sections, then use the option to Save it to a file; add your reply to this thread and use the Advanced editor options to attach the resulting XML file to your post.

- What method are you using to measure the bandwidth?

- Describe the way you use to transfer the files and the devices involved.

Regards,
              Jonathan

• 4. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed
                Intel Corporation

Hello Nay,

We haven't seen any reply to our last message, if you require further assistance, please let us know the results of our previous recommendations and the information requested as we will be glad to help.

Regards,
                Jonathan.

• 5. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed
                  nl_eddie

Hi Jon,

I just got back my laptop from repair. So I just tried what you have posted and the result is still the same. I'm using iperf3 to measure the network speed. I'm only getting about 300Mbits/s from AC 8260 to my NAS which is connected to the router by a cat 5e ethernet cable. I made sure that neither my NAS nor the router is not the bottleneck by running iperf3 from my desktop, which is connected by ethernet to my NAS and I get around 1Gbits/s. As you have requested, I have attached the XML file.

Regards,

Nay

• 6. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Nay,

Please proceed with the following actions and let us know if this helps:

- Go to the Advanced Settings of your Power Plan and set the Wireless Adapter for "Maximum Performance", when plugged in and on battery.

- Perform a clean installation of the WiFi drivers:

1. We always recommend to use the driver from the Computer Manufacturer Support as first option, however, the new version 19.30.0 includes fixes specific for the 8260 in Windows® 10. Our generic driver version can be obtained from Intel® Download Center: 

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.30.0]

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings". 
                    3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device". 
                    4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device. 
                    5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK. 
                    6. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

Regards,
                    Jonathan.

• 7. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Nay,

We haven't seen any updates for this topic. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,
                      Jonathan.

• 8. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed
                        nl_eddie

Hi,

I updated the driver as instructed and the transfer speed is still the same.

-Nay

• 9. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed
                          Intel Corporation

Hello Nay,

In our best effort, please obtain a new SSU log and we will be glad to review it.

Please keep in mind that if the adapter is connecting at 867 Mbps and working correctly, it may suggest a limitation in the NAS, or the way the wireless access point is managing the bandwidth, this would have be checked with the corresponding manufacturer support.

Regards,
                          Jonathan.

• 10. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed
                            loganj

Sorry to ask this here, but since i found this page via google i might as well give it a try

I've had a gigabyte wireless adapter with intel 8260 chip running on windows 8.1 pro x64. My use for a wireless card is to create access point and share the internet/or files in the house.

the problem i had with this adapter, is that my phones connected to my computer(soft AP) at 65 mbps, distance to antena was less than 1 meter.

running some test i could get around 3-5 MB (5.4 MB top) transfering a file from computer to phone. tested with 2 phones (zenfone 2 and nexus 5)

So my question: is this the normal speed that intel 8260 should have when set it for soft AP or that wireless card was probably faulty?

I even reinstalled windows just to make sure nothing was blocking/conflicting from the other wireless card that is on the motherboard. and just to make this clear: the onboard was disabled via bios and also the onboard wireless card works the same (or better) and is 5 years old.

Unfortunately no manufacturer is saying the speed that the wifi adapter should have when is set for soft AP.

Im searching to buy one that has at least 100-150 mbps transfer rates (preferable 200-500 mbps) when used to create access point.

• 11. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed
                              Intel Corporation

Hello loganj,

We would like to inform that the Intel® Wireless Adapters and drivers support basic Ad-hoc functionality, however, they are not meant to be used as Hotspot. We understand you may be able to achieve this, however, this would be out of the scope of support for the adapter.
                              We advise you to contact the Adapter Manufacturer (Gigabyte) to check on this as well.

In our best effort, we would like to provide some actions to improve overall wireless connectivity: disable Bluetooth, use different wireless channels for your networks, avoid others sources of interference.

Here are some documents that may help:

Quick Checks to Improve or Fix Wireless Connection Issues
                              Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity

Regards,
                              Jonathan B.

• 12. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed
                                loganj

Thank you for your answer.

Now i know i should stay away from intel wifi products.

• 13. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello loganj,

Regrettably, the information you are requesting is not available since access point functionality in Windows* 8.1 is not tested for this adapter. Furthermore, there are external factors that can affect this type of connection as well.

We strongly advise you to contact the OEM Support to check on this.

Regards,
                                  Jonathan.