1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2017 11:55 AM by Intel Corporation

Does anybody have problems entering bios settings screen on NUC6i5SYH?

cpbgil1

Hi everyone,

I'm unable to enter my nuc's bios settings screen with F2. yhe nuc is connected to a phillips LED TV (native resolution 1920x1080) on HDMI. the BIOS revision is 54. does anybody else also encountered this problem?

• 1. Re: Does anybody have problems entering bios settings screen on NUC6i5SYH?
          lw1948

Need more information to answer your question:

1. Can you see the INTEL logo and F2,F7,F10 menu during boot?

2. What Operating System you have?

• 2. Re: Does anybody have problems entering bios settings screen on NUC6i5SYH?
            N.Scott.Pearson

Have you tried powering on holding the power button for ~3 seconds and, when the menu appears, choosing F2?

• 3. Re: Does anybody have problems entering bios settings screen on NUC6i5SYH?
              cpbgil1

Hi,

1. yes i can see the intel logo and f2,f7,f10 menu during boot. but after pressing f2 the TV screen goes black and the nuc led stays blue. from this point i cant see or do do nothing. ctrl+alt+del will restart the pc at that point but thats it.

2. my OS is windows 10  64bit professional.

thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: Does anybody have problems entering bios settings screen on NUC6i5SYH?
                cpbgil1

hi Scott,

I will try this this evening althogh i can see the menu with the f2 option: the problem comes after pressing f2 - no bios settings screen appears! instead a blank and black screen appears.

• 5. Re: Does anybody have problems entering bios settings screen on NUC6i5SYH?
                  lw1948

Hello cpbgil1 ,

1. I've similar NUC configuration to yours : NUC6i5SYH, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Logitech wireless keyboard + mouse.

2. I've performed test on my both  TV sets: LG and SONY. No problem at all, I can see UEFI Bios on both TV sets. Looks that your Philips TV doesn't supports UEFI Bios screen resolution - 1024 x 768. To verify it, try to connect to other TV or to regular computer monitor.

3. This problem (not supporting Bios resolution), suppose to be solved by Intel in the Bios update. So, although you have the latest Bios, I recommend to you to update the Bios again, using Bios recovery method, with the security jumper removed: BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC . Be careful and replace this jumper into "NORMAL" positions (pins 1-2). See the attached picture.

4. You can also try to enter the Bios setting from windows, but I think it will not make any change:
                       Start->Power->press Shift + Restart ->Windows will reboot to Maintenance screen->Troubleshot->Advanced Options->UEFI Firmware Settings-Restart -> wait till NUC enters BIOS settings. But again, I believe it will give same black screen like when you have entered fro F2.

• 6. Re: Does anybody have problems entering bios settings screen on NUC6i5SYH?
                    N.Scott.Pearson

The splash screen (and prompts regarding F2, F7, F10, etc.) is very different from the Power Button Recovery Menu. As I said, you need to power on keeping the power button held down for ~3 seconds, in order to see this menu. I told Intel that this menu shouldn't use the F* keys but they didn't listen to me. It's unfortunate, as it causes (this) confusion. Anyway, once in the power button menu, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS). This method often works when the other doesn't. If this method works when the other doesn't, it may help tell us why the regular entry point isn't working.

Regarding Leon's comments:

1. While it is indeed UEFI based, you shouldn't imply UEFI just because you see a graphical BIOS Setup interface. It is certainly possible to have a graphical BIOS Setup interface without having UEFI support (though UEFI does make it a lot easier to implement, especially being able to build (and dynamically load) it as a (separate) UEFI program rather than having to build it into a monolithic Legacy BIOS). There is a certain board vendor who will go unmentioned who's ~slimy~ marketing department claimed that they were the first to ship with UEFI (because they were the first to ship with a graphical BIOS Setup program) when, in fact, Intel had been shipping UEFI-based BIOSs for a couple of years beforehand (they just hadn't shipped a graphical BIOS Setup program yet). Kudos to them for being first with a graphical BIOS Setup program but shame on them for making such a patently false claim (sorry, I rant; this was a pet peeve of mine).
                    2. The requirement for 1024x768 only existed in early generation NUCs (the WY NUCs were the last that shipped with it - but they had later BIOS releases that fixed this issue). The 5th and 6th generation NUCs do not have this requirement; they operate the monitor at the native (default) resolution and display Visual BIOS' 1024x768 window in the middle of the (larger) display. Bottom line, support for the 1024x768 resolution is not a requirement (and hasn't been for quite some time) and is not the reason why the display is not working (unfortunately, I am not sure what the actual reason is; Intel needs to investigate and tell us).

...S

• 8. Re: Does anybody have problems entering bios settings screen on NUC6i5SYH?
                      cpbgil1

hi Scott,

thanks for your detailed help, i appriciate your effort and time spent helping me. i will try holding the power button for 3 seconds this evening (currently at work and can't try it). i will also send you the model of the philips tv.

• 9. Re: Does anybody have problems entering bios settings screen on NUC6i5SYH?
                        cpbgil1

Leon, thanks very much for your help attempt. i will try this when i get home this evening.

• 10. Re: Does anybody have problems entering bios settings screen on NUC6i5SYH?
                          Intel Corporation
                          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

cpbgil1, keep us posted, I am interested in your results. We have several units running, but none of them showed this behavior, the BIOS can be accessed without any issue.

Regards,

Amy.

• 11. Re: Does anybody have problems entering bios settings screen on NUC6i5SYH?
                            cpbgil1

Hi Scott,

Finally managed to try your suggestion: pressing 3 sce the power button, getting a menu with the F2 option and after choosing F2 with the keyboard the TV screen goes black and the NUC LED stays solid blue. afterwards nothing: no bios settings what so ever. the same result as before when turning the nuc normaly on with a short power button click. BTW the TV model is Philips 32pfl3008h/12.

• 13. Re: Does anybody have problems entering bios settings screen on NUC6i5SYH?
                              Intel Corporation
                              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

cpbgil1, there are two things that may be happening here; the first thing is that you have enabled the "fast boot" option; however, if you updated your BIOS version it should be disable by now, and the second thing is that if you are using an HDMI monitor or HDTV that doesn't support a resolution of 1024x768, you cannot access the Intel® Visual BIOS setup when pressing the F2 key. Based on this last fact, I google the manual for your TV, and found the following;

I cannot confirm if your TV actually supports 1024x768, you may need to contact Phillips to double check that information.

There is something you can try from Windows® 10 to access the BIOS, if this does not work; it is possible that your TV does not support this resolution. Here is the suggestion;

1. Go to Recovery Options.
                              2. Advanced startup, click Restart now.
                              3. On the blue screen, click Troubleshoot.
                              4. On the second blue screen, click Advanced options.
                              5. Click UEFI Firmware Setting, then click restart.

These steps should take you to the BIOS screen.

Here is the manual; http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pfl3008h_12/32pfl3008h_12_dfu_eng.pdf

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

• 14. Re: Does anybody have problems entering bios settings screen on NUC6i5SYH?
                                cpbgil1

Hello Amy,

I've tried to access from windows 10 the BIOS and the same problem happend: blank black screen. it is hard for me to reach the philips support because  the warranty of the TV set has expired (although it is deffinitly not an old model - it was released to the market in 2013)

If in fact my TV doesnt support 1024*768 resolution than what can i do? i will not buy a special/additional display/TV with that specific resolution just for the sake of entering the NUC's visual BIOS! does intel have a plan to release a BIOS version which support non-visual bios or other resolutions of visual bios? i'm a little disapointed from the lack of solution which INTEL is currently offering. this stuff is not obvious to the avarage pc buyer. if i knew this could happen in the first place i might have choosen not to buy a NUC.

1 2 3 Previous Next