5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2016 3:40 PM by Thomas Kirven

Edison dead

Thomas Kirven

I somehow managed to kill my Edison, but I'm not sure how. I think it happened when I was plugging an 11.1v lipo across the J21 connector on the top of the mini breakout board which takes 7-15 volts. But the following is how I had everything connected ..

First I connected a pwm driver (PCA9685), using J19-3 (gnd) and J20-2 (3.3v) and then J17-8 and J-17-6 (i2c-1), which was connected to 4 ESC's via 3-pin servo wires, while the ESC's were powered by 11.1v lipo. The ESC's have 5v BEC, but were not powering anything at the time. Then I connected ground to the minus pin on J21 and then the a 11.1V wire from the lipo to the + pin on J21, at which point a light on the PCA starts flashing, presumably because it's not getting the right voltage (3.3v) from the edison. So I unplug the edison from everything and try to connect it to the computer via usb, but it won't boot up. When I connect to it over serial the screen is blank.

I am not quite sure why this happened because I took extra precaution to make sure everything was connected to a common ground and only then did I try to power the board via the lipo. I have used this exact wiring many times before with no problems, but this time I was setting up a new edison, things went bad right away.

Can anyone see what might have gone wrong?? I would very much appreciate any info or tips for how to prevent this king of thing from happening.

Thanks,

Thomas

• 1. Re: Edison dead
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Thomas,

We’re sorry to hear that, I was looking at your description, and first I would like to let you know that J17-6 is RCVR_MODE and not the I2C_1 (you can check it here: Edison Breakout Board Hardware Guide table 2). Also we would like to know more details regarding how you connected the ESC’s to the PCA9685, and the servo motors. Additionally, are you using this PWM driver: PCA9685 16-Channel 12-Bit PWM Servo Driver?

I’ll be waiting for your reply.

Regards,
          -Yermi

• 2. Re: Edison dead
            Thomas Kirven

Thanks for your response Yermi,

I misspoke, I did actually have the i2c wires on J17-8 and J18-6, and yes I am using that PWM driver. The connections I made between the PCA9685, ESC's, and brushless motors are as follows

The the first four PWM channels on the PCA9685 were connected to the ESC's via 3 the wire connections (PWM,V+,GND)  and then the ESC's 3 phase AC were connected to the motors. The diagram V1N0 posted hereRe: Edison PWM Fine-Control  is basically the exact setup I used, but with the mini breakout instead of the arduino board.

Let me know if there are any other details you need.

Thanks,

Thomas

• 3. Re: Edison dead
              Intel Corporation

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the information provided.

I’m not sure why your Edison was damaged, however, it could be related to join the grounds of the control and power circuits (joining the Edison power supply with the ESC that are supplying the motors), the brushless motors consume a lot of current, and it is recommended to power them with a different power supply that the one of the control circuits because a current feedback loop may occur which would affect the control circuit and damage the Edison. Another reason could be that the Edison 3.3v (J20-2) is not able to supply enough current to PWM driver.

I believe the causes mentioned above could be the reason why your Edison is damaged, however there could be other reasons.  

Regards,
              -Yermi

• 4. Re: Edison dead
                Intel Corporation

Hi Thomas,

I would like to know if you have any other question.

Regards,
                -Yermi

• 5. Re: Edison dead
                  Thomas Kirven

That should be all thanks!

-Thomas