1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2016 1:41 PM by Intel Corporation

Ubuntu not loading

mashk19

Hi,

I've got a 1st gen compute stick and the flash storage on it is completely dead. It's over a year old, so I'm not sure where I stand warranty wise. Anyhow, I thought I could make use of it by putting in a SD card and installing Ubuntu onto it.

I downloaded one of linuxium's ISOs, created a USB boot stick using Rufus. I can boot off the USB stick, however I can't actually get it to boot into Ubuntu. Either the installer or the tester. The stupid thing will sit on the Ubuntu logo perpetually loading.

I've tried various USB sticks, booting from USB and from SD. I can't get it to load. It loaded the one time but now it won't work at all.

Any ideas? BIOS is up to date.

• 1. Re: Ubuntu not loading
          linuxium

To get a better idea of what maybe hanging the boot process, try booting again from USB but before selecting "Try Ubuntu' from the GRUB menu, hit 'e' and edit the line starting with 'linux' and remove the words 'splash' and 'quiet' to disable the loading screen and to enable verbose output. Just use the cursor keys to navigate and the delete or backspace key to edit. Then press 'F10' to begin the boot process and you'll see lots of messages flash past on the screen before eventually it will hang as you describe it. If you can then take a picture of the screen using your phone and load it here we can all see what is going on and hopefully be able to help further. Just one question at this stage but have you left it sitting in this 'hung' state for a really good while, say at least 10 or 15 minutes?  Some times a long wait is required if the eMMC (or on-board storage) has become corrupted before you can finally boot and reformat it.

• 2. Re: Ubuntu not loading
            mashk19

Thanks for the response Linuxium, Please see screenshot below. I did manage to get it too boot into Lubuntu, What i did was boot off a USB stick whilst a SD card was also inserted. On the USB stick was Ubuntu, on the SD card was Lubuntu. At the boot menu I chose to boot off Ubuntu, but it loaded Lubuntu off the SD card. If I try booting off the SD card by itself it doesn't work. If I try booting off the USB stick by itself it doesn't work.

IMG_20161211_140249.jpg

• 3. Re: Ubuntu not loading
              mashk19

IMG_20161211_141201.jpg

• 4. Re: Ubuntu not loading
                linuxium

The pictures show a problem with the file system, presumably with the USB and not the SD card. The booting of Lubuntu off the SD card may be confusing the issue so I'd like to ignore it and request that you remove it from the Intel Compute Stick for the time being.

Based on your earlier comments I'm going to assume your USB with the Ubuntu ISO on is currently corrupt from earlier booting attempts.

I propose that you recreate the Ubuntu USB again and then test that it successfully boots on the PC you used to create it. Then put the working USB into the Intel Compute Stick and boot without the splash screen and with verbose mode (i.e. boot as before and then at the GRUB menu press 'e' and remove the words 'splash' and 'quiet' from the 'linux' line and then pressing 'F10' to boot). Leave it for at least 15 minutes and take another picture of the screen. Hopefully as the USB is proven to work it will boot successfully on the Intel Compute Stick if sufficient time is given to allow for the local eMMC issues.

If it successfully boots then use 'gparted' first to create a new partition table on your eMMC (make sure you have selected the eMMC drive using the arrow on the right, then click on 'Device' followed by 'Create Partition Table', leave type as default of 'msdos' and click 'Apply') and then install Ubuntu to the eMMC (use full disk defaults for simplicity).

If it is unsuccessful then hopefully the new picture will provide the next clue!

• 5. Re: Ubuntu not loading
                  mashk19

Looks like it was a corrupt USB stick as I've got it booting into Ubuntu.  However, it does look like the eMMC is completely dead. It's not showing up in the BIOS or in gparted. Anyone have any ideas? At the moment, I'm going to install Ubuntu to the SD card I have in there.

• 6. Re: Ubuntu not loading
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello All,

Thanks a lot for the troubleshooting provided for this matter, linuxium

mashk19, at this point, I recommend checking the warranty options available for you, since it seems like the eMMC is faulty in your unit

Here you can start a chat (desirable) or create a ticket: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html?iid=subhdr+help_feedback

Or you can also give us a call:

North America: Phone Number:  1-916-377-7000
                    Business Hours:
                    Monday - Friday
                    7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time)

EMEA (Europe) contact information: http://intel.ly/28QeAF3
                    APAC (Asia) contact information: http://intel.ly/1ITfjUF
                    LAR (Latin America )contact information: http://intel.ly/29c0rW4

Regards,
                    Esteban C

• 7. Re: Ubuntu not loading
                      linuxium

So while waiting for a possible warranty return, having booting Ubuntu from USB and without any SD card loaded, what is the output from running the command 'sudo lsblk'?

• 8. Re: Ubuntu not loading
                        mashk19

Unfortunately, I can't find my receipt at the moment for the stick so I'm screwed.IMG_20161213_210539[1].jpg

Ah well at least it's not completely dead.

• 9. Re: Ubuntu not loading
                          Intel Corporation

Hello mashk19,

I understand, please let the agent in charge know about this (the one that is handling your warranty case) to find out if there is the possibility of getting further help in terms of warranty.

It is good to hear that you are being able to use the unit!

About the possibility to install the OS on the SD card, I recommend checking with linuxium who has been of great help, or the Ubuntu help forums (https://ubuntuforums.org/)

Hope you can get this resolved.

Regards,
                          Esteban C

• 10. Re: Ubuntu not loading
                            linuxium

Unfortunately you no longer appear to have any eMMC accessible which means only SD card or external storage through USB going forward. Installing Ubuntu (of whatever flavour) should now be relatively straight-forward and following the installer defaults should be fine. Being a Bay Trail SOC the SD card should work regardless of release/version so at least that is a plus! I've found performance to be very similar to eMMC when using Sandisk Extreme Pro cards. But they are expensive. You might want to experiment a bit before hand though as going out and buying the biggest and best might disappoint because a "good" card will typically be as good as an "expensive" card in most circumstances. I've posted information previously about performance and SD cards on my blog and websites which may be of interest.

• 11. Re: Ubuntu not loading
                              Intel Corporation

Thank you for sharing that Linux knowledge with us, linuxium

Please let us know how it goes, mashk19

Regards,
                              Esteban C

• 12. Re: Ubuntu not loading
                                mashk19

Hi All,

Thanks for the help thus far. I've successfully installed Ubuntu 16.10 on the SD card. However, it's painfully slow. It was faster just running it live from USB. The SD card is class 10 so I'm a little perplexed. Think I'm going to try a more lightweight version.

• 13. Re: Ubuntu not loading
                                  linuxium

Not all SD cards are equal regardless of being the same class. Looking at the independent test results in articles about SD cards will give you an indication of what to expect for your particular SD card against comparable makes. Having said that is there anything in 'dmesg' to indicate why performance is degraded on SD card compared to USB? Also what model is your device?

• 14. Re: Ubuntu not loading
                                    Intel Corporation

Hi,

Thank you for the information provided on this thread and to help each other with this matter.

Regards,

Ivan.

1 2 Previous Next