14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 12:55 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes

Hnng

Hi everyone,

I've bought a few Intel NUC 5PPYH for our company.

I wanted to use them just to establish a RDP connection to our terminalservers.

I've equipped them with:

Samsung 750 EVO MZ-750120BW 120GB

Kingston KVR16LS11/4 4GB (DDR3L Non-ECC CL11 SODIMM 1,35V, 204-pin 1,5V)

I've installed Windows 8.1x64 Pro.

They run very smooth, but I gave the first of them to my colleague for testing, and he told me, that the whole system is freezing from time to time, and the only option is to hard-reset the client. The problem is not reproducible.

I've seen, that this is a quite known problem in this forums.

I've read that (under Linux) updating the kernel seems to fix the problem.

Others have fixed the problem by choosing the Intel Rapid Storage driver at the windows installation.

Are there any known fixes?

Yes, I know that this is a user-to-user community, but has there been any official statement from Intel about this problem?

What I'm going to to now:

- try this: How to fix 100% Disk Usage on Microsoft Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista - YouTube

- reinstalling Windows with the Intel Rapid Storage driver at the installation

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

• 1. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Besides trying the steps you  mentioned above, another thing we can try is a BIOS update to the latest version of the NUC.

F7 method to do a BIOS update:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

This is the .BIO file you need to do it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26445/BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A-

On the following link you will find the graphics driver for the NUC, please try that one:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25235/Intel-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-64-bit-N-Series-?product=87261

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
            N.Scott.Pearson

Alberto will take care of reporting this issue to the development team.

Why don't you just get a good USB-based KVM and go with that. There are versions around for HDMI, DVI and VGA connections. I haven't seen any supporting 4K as yet, but I am sure that they will come. Most of these KVM will support unique monitors (i.e. not switching monitor along with everything else) if this is your wish. The keyboard and mouse are plugged into the KVM and always powered and always ready.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
              Alberto Rodriguez

Hello:

Thank you very much to for the comments above.

To :

I hope the information posted previously was helpful for you, and I wanted to check if the problem was resolved or if it still persists?

Alberto

• 4. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
                Hnng

Hi,

the problem is not solved.

I've contacted the Intel support and now we are replacing one of the NUCs to check, if this will fix the problem.

Updating the BIOs and graphics driver did not fix my problem.

While waiting for the replacement NUC I will try to reinstall Windows, but using the Intel Rapid Storage driver, but I can't find it.

regards

• 5. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
                  N.Scott.Pearson

There is no Intel Rapid Storage driver for this NUC. Intel Rapid Storage is not supported by the processor in this NUC.

...S

• 6. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
                    Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to once again for the comments above.

To :

I just wanted to confirm the information above as correct, there is no Intel® Rapid Storage driver.

All the drivers for this NUC you will find them here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/87740/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5PPYH

It is nice to know that you were able to replace the NUC’s, once you get the replacement ones they should work properly, but if the problem persists then other than that, it could be related to the hard drive/SSD or memory RAM.

Please let me know the results with the replacement NUC’s.

Alberto

• 7. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
                      Hnng

Hello and thanks for your help.

The Intel hotline told me, that they have no problem with replacing the NUCs, but they don't think that this will fix the problem, because the problem appears on all of my NUCs.

They told me, that the RAM is indeed listed as compatible, only the SSD is not listed as compatible but to be honest it would surprise me if Samsung's SSDs were not compatible.

But I'm optimistic.

Regards.

• 8. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
                        Intel Corporation

Hello :

Correct, when the problem happens with all the NUC’s it is very unlikely to be a hardware problem, and in this case to test it with a different hard drive or SSD will be the next thing to do basically just to isolate a possible problem with that component.

Also, the fact that you are using RDP is also a possible reason why the problem happens, if you use the NUC’s without RDP session, is the problem the same?

Alberto

• 9. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
                          Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if you tried the suggestion we provided on the previous post and also we wanted to check if the problem was resolved or if it still persists?

Any questions please let know.

Alberto

• 10. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
                            Intel Corporation

Hello :

We hope the problem with the NUC freezing got resolved.

If you need further assistance with this case please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 11. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
                              Hnng

FYI

The problem could not get solved and I got rid of the NUCs.

I contacted the Intel support and they replaced all of the NUCs, even with newer ones.

The devices were still freezing, and I seriously got tired of this.

I got a refund for all of the NUCs and bought MSI Cubi N-BN37004G1T0X10M.

I don't really care anymore about further posts at this topic. Intel just can't be serious with this. The forums are full of posts like "my NUC froze", but the support tells me, that they don't care and that they have never heard about these problems.

Thanks for the helpful posts, but I'm done with Intel NUCs.

• 12. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
                                Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you for providing the comments above.

We are sorry to hear the problem persists with the NUC’s, even after you replaced all of them.

We apologize for any type of inconvenience you might have experienced when using our products and at the same time we respect and take under consideration the feedback you just provided.

We tried our best to fix the problem, all the components you are using are fully compatible and the fact that the problem remains after replacing the NUCs indicates that the issue might be related to a different component, but we respect your decision.

Once again we apologize for any inconvenience and thank you very much for your patience.

Regards

Alberto

• 13. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
                                  Jason__J

Unfortunately I am having the exact same issue.

Have done all the usual troubleshooting (drivers, firmware, reinstalling is, hardware tests, temp tests, different os versions etc..), and have even gotten a warranty replacement, but am running into the same issue.

I am considering replacing the unit with something else, and will also most likely never purchase a Nuc again unless there is some acknowledgement of this issue from Intel ( and a fix too of course, we cannot continue to use faulty hardware)

• 14. Re: Intel NUC 5PPYH freezes
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for joining the Intel NUC communities.

In order for us to be able to provide the best support we could, and to try to get a response from Intel or a possible fix for this issue, please submit a new thread.

The reason for that is that every scenario is different, even if the same product is being used, so, for us further assist you and to help you with the specific problem the NUC might have, please submit a new thread.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards

Alberto