5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 7:12 PM by rguevara

Lost SPDIF output - was missing digital output (5.1, dts, dolby)

iGudi

Hi everyone

I’m having issues receiving other than stereo from the rear jack/SPDIF output. I then started to investigate and try different solutions, but now I’m without any sound from the SPDIF output. I’ve still got audio from the HDMI – but only stereo (like I had with the SPDIF).

I’m unable to select “configure” on the ‘Realtek Digital Output’ in the output devices, and I thought I had to update drivers.

Before I started I did have sound on both HDMI and SPIF, but no Dolby or DTS output. Windows had no new drivers when I asked to search for new drivers automatically.

First attempt
      1. Installed Realtek ALC* Audio Driver for Intel NUC Kits, version 6.0.1.7910 from the intel.com
      2. Rebooted
      3. Lost SPDIF audio output

Second attempt
      1. Installed High Definition Audio drivers from Realtek.com version R.2.80
      2. Rebooted
      3. Still no SPDIF output

When I look under the device log, I see the following event id 410

Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{8d386e3b-b3be-4c65-9c25-0f496246c132} could not be migrated.
      Last Device Instance Id: SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{93498DFA-03B3-4327-9346-BDB52A8E0AEF}
      Class Guid: {C166523C-FE0C-4A94-A586-F1A80CFBBF3E}
      Location Path:
      Migration Rank: 0xF00000000000F120
      Present: false

Third attempt
      1. I then tried to uninstall every driver to let Windows decide for the best driver, no change
      2. I’ve been through output device settings
      a. supported formats checked for DTS Audio and Dolby Digital
      b. levels are 100% and ON
      c. tried both to activate and deactivate all sound extensions
      d. under advanced I can only choose “2-channels” under the different bit qualities.
      3. In the Realtek Audio Manage I only see the SPDIF active, but can’t change settings or speaker setup

Whenever I troubleshoot on the High Definition Output, it says I have no speakers connected (SPDIF). But the receiver is on.

Forth attempt – tried to get 5.1 from the HDMI
      1. Installed HDMI 2.0 firmware upgrade from intel.com
      2. Output is still seen as stereo (I’ve now ordered a Mini DP 1.2 to HDMI 4K)

Fifth attempt
      Tried to uninstall every driver in Windows, both under devices and programs. I’m still left with no SPDIF audio. Even tried to roll back to a previous Windows stage, but still no audio from SPIF.

I still see the error in under the device:

Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{7163b791-11f2-46b3-9fe0-2c52d335e440} could not be migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{93498DFA-03B3-4327-9346-BDB52A8E0AEF}

Class Guid: {C166523C-FE0C-4A94-A586-F1A80CFBBF3E}

Location Path:

Migration Rank: 0xF00000000000F120

Present: false

I see the volume bar indicate audio, I just can’t hear it – only if I switch to HDMI.

Windows installs a Microsoft version 10.0.14393.0 (Digital audio (S/PDIF) (Device High Definition Audio)

I’ve also tried different cables and ports in the receiver, also no luck. Also updated Intel HD Graphics and Chipset drivers.

I hope someone can tell me what driver to use, or how to get SPDIF up’n’running again.

Cheers
      Crossing my fingers someone knows the way!

NUC Skull Canyon, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, 16GB, 1TB M.2

• 1. Re: Lost SPDIF output - was missing digital output (5.1, dts, dolby)
          dig

You can't configure a digital out, so you won't get an enabled Configure button.

From my experience, using a made-by-Microsoft audio driver only ever gets you 2 channels out the SPDIF, and that's always LPCM, though it should still be possible to pass-thru already-encoded DD/DTS bitstreams (not too useful except for say DVD playback).  That should mean you won't even see the Supported Formats panel show DTS Audio or Dolby Digital.  So if you see that panel, you probably have a driver capable of encoding to AC-3 or DTS (hm, not literally, but you want to see that panel).

If you can't get anything out of S/PDIF at all but did before, I'd say you messed up the cable (plugged in all the way, each end?) or simply are not selecting the correct input at your receiver.

Hit ctrl-s by habit.  If you see the Supported Formats panel, pick Dobly Digital then press Test.  If you get a sound, then it's working.  Case closed as far as hardware and driver.

In the Advanced panel, you won't see anything but 2 channel, xxxxx Hz entries.  You may see a Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive that shows (5.1 Surround), and it may be that's what's missing if your plan is to get 5.1 channels playing from a 2 channel source.  If not there in that drop-down list, then the means to send DDL (Live is the key word there) would be in the _separate_ control panel for that device.  That control panel app would be installed when you installed the audio driver.  If not using DDL/DTS(Live), then to play 5.1 from the digital output you need to have software that encodes in real-time to AC-3 (DD) or DTS, otherwise you will only get regular 2-channel LPCM sent to the receiver.  Very few players will do that.  You may want to read this paragraph again.

Also be sure to check the, Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device, on the Advanced panel.  App-level software has to use an exclusive mode to send bitstream data.  Driver-level software (the DDL/DTS-Interactive) does its own thing.

Just so you know, S/PDIF bitstream data is encoded, as you encode say, mp3.  It's lossy.  LPCM is lossless.  And none of what I wrote is specific to your particular NUC, and some of it may be not quite right, but close enough.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lost SPDIF output - was missing digital output (5.1, dts, dolby)
            iGudi

Thank you for your input. Very happy for any direction that might get me over the finish line.

I use Kodi as mediaplayer and before on my old NUC, my receiver would switch to either Dolby or DTS by it self. Now it keeps on "Surround off". 99% of the time I play either AC3 or DTS.

It's nice to know, that I should be able to ignore most of the settings,as the player should do the rest.

Under formats "DTS Audio" and "Dolby Digital" is selected alongside with 48kHz. Under advanced both exclusive options are selected as well.

This is my setup with the latest drivers from:

intel-audio.jpg

At some point I was worried if I had damaged the rear jack, but I've been very careful through the process. I see red light coming out of the hole, and also through the cable I plug into the receiver. I've also tried different ports on the receiver, and because I can get sound from the HDMI (TV connected to the Samsung box and then Optical TOSLINK to reciever) to the receiver, I know the ports and cables are working.

I'll report back, when I get the new Mini DP 1.2 to HDMI 4K, to confirm if I get 5.1 then. However I thought the firmware update should have fixed just that via HDMI. I guess it would cover my needs, but IF I'm unlucky with a damaged unit, I would really like to figure it out before warranty runs out.

ANY other suggestions are more than welcome.

• 3. Re: Lost SPDIF output - was missing digital output (5.1, dts, dolby)
              N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, the 6.0.1.7910 driver is the one you should be using. I would not use any drivers from the RealTek site; these drivers have not been validated with the NUCs and may not work properly with them (they would be posted on the Intel site if they were).

Secondly, what exactly is the sequence you followed? Just what you listed? In your first attempt, when you installed the driver and rebooted, did you not then select the SPDIF output as the default in the Windows Sound applet? If you didn't, this means that the Intel HD Audio (over DP and HDMI) would have taken over - and of course the RealTek audio would not be working (you can only output to one).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: Lost SPDIF output - was missing digital output (5.1, dts, dolby)
                iGudi

SOLVED

I personally believe it was the step 4. that did the difference, but here goes the full procedure I went through - as I do not want play around with it any more, to narrow down the exact cause. Just happy to have sound over SPDIF again; DTS and Dolby.

When I was connected with HDMI, I wondered why I had sound from YouTube, but not from the output test page I had none. Nothing played over SPDIF.

1. Installed Realtek ALC* Audio Driver for Intel NUC Kits, version 6.0.1.7910 from the intel.com

2. Disabled the "auto detect popup dialog" in Realtek HD Audio Management (click the folder icon in the management panel)

3. Disabled the Samsung HDMI output device

4. Under the properties of the Realtek Digital Output, I went under formats - none was working when I hit test (bar showed audio, but nothing came out).

4a. But I then unchecked every option, hit apply

4b. Checked and tested 48,0kHz - and there was sound!

4c. I then tried to select Dolby Digital above, but couldn't test it (needed to check it, hit apply, and then test) - and there was sound!!
                4d. Also did the same with DTS Audio

I ended up having DTS Audio, Dolby Digital, 48,0kHz, 96,0kHz and under advanced 2 channel, 24 bit, 96000Hz checked.

So I personally believe that the "deselect supported formats" "apply" and "recheck" them - that was the trick.

Hope this helps others and saves them a lot of time!!

Thanks everyone for your input, you kept my spirit up

• 5. Re: Lost SPDIF output - was missing digital output (5.1, dts, dolby)
                  rguevara

Hi iGudi,

I am really happy to hear that you were able to find a solution!!! And thanks a lot for sharing the workaround, highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ronny G