13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 8:31 AM by AndresV_Intel

intel aero heating

davidkraus13

Im capable to successful update board and bios, but when is board in idle (only bash displayed on HDMI monitor) whole board is quite hot, is this normal? because if any case is used it have to overheat.

Have anyone similar behavior?

Thanks

David

• 1. Re: intel aero heating
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello David,

An increase in the board’s temperature is expected. You shouldn't be worried as long as you don’t perceive an incorrect operation. 

Besides the board’s heatsink, the Atom processor has a thermal management system that prevents overheating and system breakdown. If you want to learn more about the subject, and check the expected temperature values of the Atom processor, you can check this document http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/atom/atom-z8000-datasheet-vol-1.html (page 90).

In case you are experiencing any issue that may be related to an abnormal temperature raise, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
          Andres

• 2. Re: intel aero heating
            Intel Corporation

Hello David,

I was wondering if you perceive any component on the board, other than the microprocessor, that may be causing an abnormal increase in the temperature.

Regards,
            Andres

• 3. Re: intel aero heating
              davidkraus13

Hi

Board is hot whole, I use aluminum standoffs and the are quite hot for touch, so whole board is hot is hard to determine what is main heat source. I can try to take thermo-image to determine heat source. But I have to wait to get my flir back to office.

David

• 4. Re: intel aero heating
                zubinp

Yes I felt that the whole board was really hot even in an idle state. I had to run computer vision algorithms on my aero board so I figured that excess heat might cause a performance slowdown. Just to be on a safe side I attached an additional heatsink with a fan. Now my board runs at a much cooler temperature even when I'm running my computer vision scripts.

Here is an image of the setup: Intel Aero board with a  heatsink

• 5. Re: intel aero heating
                  Intel Corporation

Hello David,

I was wondering if you had the chance to take the thermo-image. Any additional information may help us determine if a component is causing an abnormal increase in the temperature.

Regards,
                  Andres

• 6. Re: intel aero heating
                    davidkraus13

Hi,

unfortunately not yet, II will get camera to my office probably after new year, now is necessary somewhere else.

• 7. Re: intel aero heating
                      Intel Corporation

Hello David,

I understand your situation, once you have the chance to take the image, please post it here, I will really appreciate it.

Regards,
                      Andres

• 8. Re: intel aero heating
                        JiamingSuen

I met the exact same problem as David did. The power supply module on the board is heating up as soon as the the power is connected. I also found that the surface of the FPGA chip on the back is in abnormal condition, which may caused the heating problem. I'm not able to get a thermal camera either, what else can I do to fix the problem? Is there any warranty service for this board? Since I'm not the only one who met this problem, I doubt this could be a design defect of Intel. Thanks!

Here's a close look of the FPGA chip. I also use four standoffs and they are quite hot.IMG_4245.JPG

• 9. Re: intel aero heating
                          Intel Corporation

Hello davidkraus13, zubnip and JiamingSuen,

Since you consider that you are experiencing an abnormal raise in the temperature of your Aero Compute Board, I’ll study if there are any other costumers experiencing a similar issue. It is known (expected behavior) that the board does get hot (warm to the touch), but not burning hot. 

If you think you can provide additional information (such as the thermo-images suggested by David or the picture sent by Jiaming) that may help us solve the issue, please post it here.

I’ll need some time to do the corresponding research.  As soon as I have more information I’ll be posting my findings here.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
                          Andres

• 10. Re: intel aero heating
                            Intel Corporation

Hello davidkraus13, zubnip and JiamingSuen,

After doing some research, there is some information that can help us determine if the issue you are experiencing is an abnormal (and potentially damaging) raise in the temperature of the board.

Please provide the output of the following commands:
                            uptime
                            cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp
                            cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone2/temp
                            cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone3/temp

I’ll be waiting for your reply.
                            Regards,
                            Andres

• 11. Re: intel aero heating
                              Shening

Hi

I just received a new Intel aero board (first one was faulty) and started playing with it.

I noticed that with the intel aero board assembled in the case and sitting on the table the CPU heats up and throttles down when running ./cpp-capture for 10 minutes. From 23 FPS to 6-8 FPS.

This is quite a significant thermal throttling. Is this normal?

I have attached the outputs to  cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp

IMG_20170113_165242.jpg

And the FPS of cpp_capture at this temperature (It starts out with 24/60)

IMG_20170113_171907.jpg

• 12. Re: intel aero heating
                                Intel Corporation

Hello Shening,

Thank you for sharing that information. I’ll proceed to analyze the data and as soon as I have relevant information, I’ll contact you through this thread.

Regards,
                                Andres

• 13. Re: intel aero heating
                                  AndresV_Intel

Hello Shening,

I just wanted to let you know that we are still investigating your case.

In the meantime, could you please tell me if you are using the power supply unit included in the box? If you are using another power supply unit, please provide the corresponding specifications.

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Andres