Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

Unusual high temp problem - core i7

imaref
Beginner

I'm having an unusual temperature problem with my new HP Envy laptop. It is an Intel Core i7-7500U 2.70Ghz-2.90Ghz, 16 GB Ram, Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

I can use it all day as much as I want, and the motherboard temps (38-48C), CPU temps (20-30C), GPU temps (0C - I'm mostly using the Intel video graphics) and hard disk temps (31C) are just fine. Even when I'm doing heavy video editing, the temps don't rise too much from those numbers.

However, if I set the computer aside for awhile (at least 20 minutes or so) and don't use it but leave it running, the motherboard temp goes up to exactly 69C and stays there until I shut down the computer. I have the screen set to turn off after 5 minutes of no usage, and I have the laptop on the same desk pad that I have it on during usage.

When I get the 69C readings, I've gone into the task manager and the CPU usage and disk usage are both at 0%. I thought maybe some kind of background task was running, but I'm not seeing evidence of that judging by the 0% of the CPU and disk.

I also tried changing my power plan to "balanced" instead of "high performance", but it made no difference.

The really odd thing is that it goes up to exactly 69C--never budges from that number. I've used multiple programs to check the temps (Speedfan, HWMonitor, Speccy) and they all report the same number.

I'm at a loss and would appreciate any ideas!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello imaref,

That number seems to fine based on the fact that the TJUNCTION of your processor is 100°C; however, I do not think this is healthy if you are just leaving aside without CPU intensive tasks. What is your BIOS version? Make sure you have the latest installed, also make sure that you have the latest Chipset driver and Intel® Management Engine Driver. I can help you find the drivers, just provide the HP model you have.

Regards,

Amy.
0 Kudos
imaref
Beginner

Hi Amy,

Thanks for responding. My HP Envy model is m7-u109dx.

I have the latest BIOS from Intel (but when going into the BIOS, it's a pretty closed system--hardly any areas where I can change any major settings). The BIOS version is F.28 Rev.A

I used the Intel software updater so I assume those are up to date, but would appreciate the links anyway. The Intel Management Engine Driver is 11.5.0.1019.

The weird part is that this only happens after the display turns off. I just went into the power options, advanced, and set the display to turn off after 5 hours to see if that makes a difference.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Try this version;

Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver; http://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/HP-ENVY-m7-u100-Notebook-PC/10862139/model/13443433/swItemId/ob-171069-1 HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

I checked the HP site, and you have the latest BIOS version installed. So, if after installing the chipset driver the issue persists I recommend contacting HP, and this is because it's possible that they are aware of the this situation and can provide more troubleshooting steps in order to address this temperature matter.

Try the driver and let me know it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

imaref,

Were you able to install the driver? What happened?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
imaref
Beginner

When I downloaded and tried to install the chipset software, it asked if I wanted to DOWNGRADE. Turns out there is a newer chipset driver from the HP support site dated July 2016, and the most recent Intel chipset drivers are from Feb. 2016. I did not downgrade.

The problem persists, so my workaround for now is that I am not letting the monitor turn off at all, even when I set it aside for awhile, and when I know I'm going to set it aside for more than a few minutes I shut it down. I have not had the high temp issue since I started doing this.

Must be some kind of a glitch in the power settings.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I wanted to check; have you tried getting in contact with HP? It's possible that they are aware of the situation and can provide more troubleshooting steps in order to address his matter.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
imaref
Beginner

I finally got this figured out! I used the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and did a clean install of Windows 10. On the HP website, I only downloaded/installed the drivers, and NOT any of the HP software. Boot time went from 75 seconds to 22 seconds, and now when the screen turns off after 10 minutes the high cpu temps no longer occur.

Hope this helps anyone having this problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/108806 imaref, thank you for sharing your solution, I am pretty sure it will help other users.

If there is something I can help you with, please let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos