13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 2:18 PM by cvare

Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound

NucLovin

Hello everyone,

There are already several discussions about this issue and I wonder if there happens to be a solution by now.

Anyway, I have just bought a NUC 6I3SYK and connected it to my 4K TV which is connected to my surround system via optical cable. My NUC however, simply does not want to output the audio in more than 2 channels. In the Windows 10 speaker setup I have no other choice but "Stereo".

I have tried absolutely every driver I could find for my system, but none of them worked. I have tried wiping the audio/graphics drivers and reinstalling the newest version - nothing.

Kinda love this little box, but no Surround sound on a Mediacenter PC is pretty much unforgivable. There has to be a solution for this, right? After all this is Intel...

• 1. Re: Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

In this case, it seems to be that the NUC is detecting the 2 speakers that belong to the TV, that is why you get the 2 channel stereo sound, in order to try to fix the problem there should be an option on the TV that might show up as output sound, in there look for an option that says optical, so the TV will connect to the surround system and you should be able to get surround sound.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound
            NucLovin

The TV is able to process DTS or Dolby Digital from different sources just fine. For example my PS4 or every integrated Smart TV App like Netflix, Youtube or Plex is capable of producing Surround Sound which is being processed by the TV. There is no doubt that this is an issue with the NUC and its pitiful drivers. The only idea I have left at this point is to wipe the NUC, reinstall windows and hope for a miracle. Without a miracle, the box has to go unfortunately.

• 3. Re: Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound
              Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

I will start an investigation on this matter in order to try to find a possible solution to fix the problem.

As soon as I get any results I will post all the details on this thread.

Alberto

• 4. Re: Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound
                Alberto Rodriguez

Hello :

I just wanted to let you know that we are still working on this matter.

In the mean time, please try a BIOS update to the latest version of the NUC.

F7 method to do the BIOS:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

And this is the .BIO file needed:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26337/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89186

Also please try the following audio driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26329/Realtek-ALC-Audio-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kits?product=89186

Please let me know the results.

Alberto

• 5. Re: Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound
                  rguevara

Hi NucLovin,

Would you mind to provide a bit more details?

What is the Brand and Model of the TV? Can you also check that the TV is running latest firmware?

I assume that you have the NUC connected via HDMI to the TV and the TV connected to the surround system via an Optical Cable. What is the Brand and Model of the surround system?

Is it possible to connect the NUC directly to the sorround system just for testing and see what happens?

Regards,

Ronny G

• 6. Re: Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound
                    Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to for the suggestions provided above.

To :

Please provide the information requested above and also please try the suggestions posted there as well and let us know the results so we can further assist you.

Alberto

• 7. Re: Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound
                      Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if you saw the information we requested on the previous two posts and if you try the suggestions on them as well and also if the problem still persists or if it was resolved?

Any questions please let know.

Alberto

• 8. Re: Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound
                        Intel Corporation

Hello :

We hope the issue with the surround sound on the NUC got fixed.

If you need further assistance with this case please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 9. Re: Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound
                          NucLovin

Hi everyone.

The problem is partially fixed. I have upgraded my whole sound system and am now using an Onkyo NR-646 as a central hub before routing everything to my TV. I thing generally the problem would still exist if I was putting the display to sleep and upon waking up again, the issue would return. So I have just decided to use screensaver instead of display sleep which gets rid of the issue. BUT once I access the Nuc via Remote Desktop Connection, which means something in the video/audio output changes, I have noticed the problem might return when I get back to the Nuc for regular use.

What are the odds of all this crap being fixed with the new 2017 Nucs? New processors, graphics and sound units plus the addition of HDMI 2.0 give me some hope that a hardware upgrade might help.

Cheers!

• 10. Re: Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound
                            Intel Corporation

Hello :

It is great to hear that you found a work around to be able to use NUC with surround sound and we also are sorry to hear that the problem returns randomly when you use the NUC.

Every time that Intel releases a new product, there is the intent of improving all the features, to increase the performance and to use newer components on it, also the suggestions and feedback from our customer are taken under consideration when developing a product.

So, to answer your question, there is no information about unreleased products, so, currently we do not have documentation or data to confirm the changes or new components that Intel will use on the new NUCs, so in order not to provide false expectation at this point we cannot guarantee that all the problems will get fixed with the new NUCs.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience and as soon as Intel releases the new NUCs you will be able to verify all the details in our web site:

www.intel.com/

http://ark.intel.com/

Regards

Alberto

• 11. Re: Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound
                              cvare

First of all, I gotta ask, are you the REAL McLovin??

With your new setup, when you say this, "generally the problem would still exist if I was putting the display to sleep and upon waking up again, the issue would return" do you mean you only get two channels or no sound at all?  If it's no sound, that's a known issue that I'm trying to work with the engineering team on.  If only 2 channels, that doesn't make any sense and would be a new one.

• 12. Re: Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound
                                NucLovin

Hi cvare,

I think it's safe to say that yes, I am the real McLovin. It was between that or Muhammed.

I have no sound AT ALL. Meaning the sound icon in the bottom right would have a red X on top of it. A driver reinstall or a reboot will fix this, but since that Nuc is kind of a 24/7 running machine, I would prefer for this to work without the extra hassle.

Cheers!

• 13. Re: Intel NUC 6I3SYK No Surround Sound
                                  cvare

Ha!

Thanks for the clarification.  This seems to be a prevalent issue lately-see: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues

I am working on this with the GFX team but I have no idea how long it may take.  I'll update this thread when I know more.  Feel free to check in once in a while.