Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

New drivers look like they install but don't actually.....

JJess2
Beginner

So my graphics driver keeps crashing and Intel has a newer version for me and it will act like it installs but then when I got back to the updated tool it shows up as an update again. Does anyone have any advice? I also have a new chipset driver available and that actually does the exact same thing as well. Here's a screenshot of the two drivers I'm referring to

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jessb_55,

I will be more than glad to assist you with your concern.

In order to provide you further assistance, could you please confirm the model of your processor? And the model of your equipment?

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
JJess2
Beginner

Hi Angie,

I feel dumb but I noticed today that the Display driver did install and that the update utility still shows the driver update even after it's been installed. However I still can't get the chipset driver to install and it goes through the process and tells me to reboot to finish the install but then I run the utility again and it still shows the currently installed driver is not the same as the newest one. Maybe I don't even need the chipset driver update but for years I've had trouble with this laptop freezing and the only way I've gotten it to behave is to use the windows generic driver however with Windows 10 it keeps reinstall the Intel driver.

For years I've been watching the event viewer system longs and only until recently did it finally start saying the display driver is having issues, and the screen keeps going black periodically for a couple or seconds or so then comes back.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I spent a lot of $ on this laptop and have been barely able to use it.

0 Kudos
JJess2
Beginner

heres the error from event viewer

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jessb_55,

Thank you for the information provided

In order to assist you I will need you to please provide me with the following information:

-Could you please confirm the model of your processor?

-Could you please provide me with the model of your equipment too?

As soon as you reply I will be able to provide you with additional steps for your specific equipment.

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
JJess2
Beginner

Hi Angie-

I have a Dell 14z 5423 and I believe my processor is the Intel Core i5-3317U 1.70 GHz.

Does that help? And again thanks for getting back to me!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jessb_55,

I would like you to please complete a manual install for the latest graphic driver according to your Intel® Core™ i5-3317U Processor and the proper Intel® HD Graphics 4000.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html inhttp://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Windows® 10 and Windows 8*/8.1*

And this will be the latest driver available:

http://Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.33] Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.33]

Please complete the installation and please let me know if you see any kind of issue.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jessb_55,

I would like to know if the information provided to you was able to solve your concern?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Angie.
0 Kudos
JJess2
Beginner

Hi Angie,

Sorry I haven't had much free time to even use my computer, and even before it could go almost a week at times before it would freeze on me. But I will update you as I can!

Thanks

Jess

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jessb_55,

Do not worry, please let me know in case if you need more time?

I will wait for your answer.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos