6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 12:43 PM by Intel Corporation

Updating the VBIOS for Custom MIPI Panel

ben_blier

We're trying to get the MIPI-DSI link working on the Joule, and it looks like it is necessary to modify the Video BIOS Table (VBT) to enable the MIPI link.

The documentation (556723) for the Binary Modification Program states that we need to download an initial version of the VBIOS (.dat or .bin) and a matching .bsf script that we can then modify to enable the MIPI link for our embedded display. Are these files available for the Joule?

Thanks,

--Ben

• 1. Re: Updating the VBIOS for Custom MIPI Panel
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Ben,

Thanks for reaching out!

Could you please share the link of the document you are currently following? Unfortunately, I'm not able to find it with the number you posted above.

Let me know.
          -Peter.

• 2. Re: Updating the VBIOS for Custom MIPI Panel
            ben_blier

Hi Peter,

I downloaded the file before the holiday, so I'm not positive, but I believe that I was on this page:

Intel® HD Graphics and Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Drivers

and found this document at the bottom (not sure if the link will work).

https://edc.intel.com/Link.aspx?id=10088

It's a little bit older than the BMP tool version on the page, but seems to basically describe the tool.

Thanks,

--Ben

• 3. Re: Updating the VBIOS for Custom MIPI Panel
              Intel Corporation

Hi Ben,

Unfortunately, the first link you posted take me to an error page.
              Regarding to the second link, it takes me to a PDF file that seems not to be involved with Joule. All the documentation related to Joule can be found in https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/joule/documentation.

I’d just like to ask, why are you relating this PDF with Joule?

Let me know.
              -Peter.

• 4. Re: Updating the VBIOS for Custom MIPI Panel
                ben_blier

Hi Peter,

The link to that Joule Documentation does not appear to contain all the documents that Intel has related to the Joule. The Joule is based on the Broxton/Apollo Lake SoC, for which there are External Design Specification documents containing things like register maps (which are not on that site). There's also the Apollo Lake SMIP Programming guide 55702 (also not on that site) that, if you have a copy of the FIT tool (also not available on the Joule's site), explains how a user can modify their firmware to enable features such as PCIe.

Anyway, since I wasn't getting the MIPI-DSI link to even start its clock running, I figured that there was a reasonable chance that I'd need to modify the BIOS somehow to enable the MIPI link. Poking around led me to the existence of a separate VBIOS for Intel HD Graphics, which eventually led me to that document and the Binary Modification Program. The BMP requires two files to work with, a .BIN/.DAT and a .bsf file, which is what I made this post searching for.

Upon re-searching the Intel Validation Internet Portal, I actually did manage to find a set of Broxton vbios files in Kit 117638. The files are bxt_1016.dat and .bsf. However, when I open them in the BMP tool, I don't see the existence of the MIPI link. The only supported LFP type is eDP. Perhaps I have a set of files for a different Broxton chip than the one used on the Joule? Alternately do you have any other advice on getting the MIPI link working? I'm not able to get the MIPI clock to even show up.

• 5. Re: Updating the VBIOS for Custom MIPI Panel
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Ben,

Currently there is no official documentation about the MIPI link, however, please let us investigate about this.

We will also try to find out if the documentation Broxton/Apollo Lake SoC is compatible with Joule.

If we are able to find something useful, we'll make sure to post it here.

-Peter.

• 6. Re: Updating the VBIOS for Custom MIPI Panel
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Ben,

We have an update for your case.

We are planning on enabling the feature of adding an alternate VBT into the EEPROM, in a future release. However, please note that the timing and exact scope of the feature is subject to change without notice.

Nevertheless, whenever this future release is out, it will be announced on the community. 
                    -Peter.