11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2016 12:32 PM by Intel Corporation

Troubles on STK1AW32SC : microSD not working and very slow Wi-Fi connection

Moon-IT

Hello,

One month I bought an Intel Compute Stick STK1AW32SC and a 128GB SanDisk microSDXC UHS-I to use in the micro SD card slot, but it seems that they didn’t work properly and I ask the shop to replace them both. When the new ones arrived the problem persists, as follows:

When I insert the microSD, the system detects it, but if I try to write some files, or to create empty folders (or just to rename them), the system stops working causing explorer.exe crash and Windows error 0x800701E3. Errors occur randomly, sometimes after 30 seconds, sometimes after 5 minutes.

Windows Event Viewer reports a lot of system warnings (Event ID 153 - The IO Operation at logical block address xxxx for Disk 2 was retried). After that the microSD is no longer accessible and I must reboot the system. It seems to be like an interrupt of the SD card controller.

I tried to format the microSD card using Windows, SDFormatter and via prompt, and I tried to change the FileSystem both to NTFS and exFat. I also tried to clear all the partition using Diskpart “clean” command, and to create a new partition (also leaving a 10% non-allocated space to avoid a Windows bug), but the error persists.

I also modified the Power Options (and advanced power settings) to avoid power interrupt on usb and PCI express, and disable “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” in Device Manger. I updated Bios to the latest 0030 version, and all the drivers using Intel Driver Update Utility.

If I use the microSD card in other device (laptop, digital camera, ...) the card works perfectly.

Can someone help me? I’d like to use the external microSD card to install some programs, because the internal storage is not enough, but if I can’t use it the stick is completely useless.

Concerning WiFi, the connection (Download and Upload Speed) is very slow (2-3Mbps), while using an USB wifi adapter, speed is right (about 23-26Mbps). However connection is stable, but too slow for streaming HD contents from Netflix. I’m not using any USB 3 external HDD, and I tried both 2.4 and 5 GHz with no improvements.

Thank you for your help!

• 1. Re: Troubles on STCK1A32WFC: microSD not working and very slow Wi-Fi connection
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Moon-IT,

In regard to your microSD issue, at the following link; I was able to confirm the tested peripherals for your Compute Stick and the list of MicroSD* cards, and the 128GB SanDisk microSDXC UHS-I it is not listed:

Tested Peripherals for Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC and STCK1A8LFC

So then, if you have the chance I would like you to please try with a smaller SD card or with a different brand, and please let me know the results.

Also, there is a Microsoft forum that confirms that it could be an Operating System issue:

Getting error code 0x800701E3 on my SD card

And about the Wi-Fi issue; I would like you to please install the latest Wi-Fi driver:

Wireless: Realtek* Wireless Driver for Windows 10*

Also, make sure to install the latest BIOS version for your Compute Stick:

BIOS Update [FCBYT10H.86A]

Please let me know how it goes in order to further assist you if required.

Regards,
          Angie.

• 2. Re: Troubles on STCK1A32WFC: microSD not working and very slow Wi-Fi connection
            Intel Corporation

Hello Moon-IT,

I would like to know if the information provided to you was able to solve your concern?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
            Angie.

• 3. Re: Troubles on STCK1A32WFC: microSD not working and very slow Wi-Fi connection
              Moon-IT

Dear Angie,

Thank you for your reply, answers and suggestions, and I apologize for the delayed response but I have been away from home for 2 weeks.

Unfortunately I made a mistake when writing the model code: the right one is STK1AW32SC.

Anyway, I tried to install the Realtek Wi-Fi driver you sent me but I had no improvements.
              BIOS is already update to the latest version for STK1AW32SC (0030).

I checked the Tested Peripherals for Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC, and my SanDisk microSDXC card is not listed: I noticed that the Kingston microSDXC (Class 10) 128GB is the only one listed with capacity of 128GB, but it’s not specified if it is the model with UHS-I bus mode.

Do you know if the incompatibility is due to UHS-I bus mode? I would not buy another card that is not compatible with the stick due to UHS-I bus mode.

I tried to test the microSD with h2testw 1.4 to verify if it’s an authentic card, and it’s ok. This tool wrote 128GB of data and was able to read all the files (Windows Event Viewer reported only 6 system warnings Event ID 153, but the card continued to work normally). So the card and the controller seems to work fine.
              But if I check the card with Crystal Disk Mark, Windows Event Viewer reports  hundreds of errors and the card stops working: these errors occurs especially (but not only) in reading operations.

If I check the card via prompt using CHKDSK command, an error occurs when trying to determine the available space on disk, but there aren’t bad sectors or other disk problems.

This problem seems to be related to reading and writing files in Windows in some circumstances, but it seems to be more a software or driver problem.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Troubles on STCK1A32WFC: microSD not working and very slow Wi-Fi connection
                Intel Corporation

Hello Moon-IT,

Thank you for your sincere response.

Please allow me some more time while I proceed with some research, and I will provide you with additional information for your STK1AW32SC.

In the meantime, I would like to know if before you saw this issue, have you done any hardware of software change? (***Please do not hesitate to provide me with any detail)

Best regards,
                Angie

• 5. Re: Troubles on STK1AW32SC : microSD not working and very slow Wi-Fi connection
                  Moon-IT

Hi Angie,

I didn’t any hardware of software change; this problem occurs the first time that I turned on the device, then I update bios and drivers but without any improvement.

Also Win 10 updates do not fix the problem - at the moment Windows version is the 1607 build 14393.576.

The same problem also occurred with the stick and the microSD that I asked to replace, thinking they were faulty.

On the system I installed only Firefox and Chrome, Media Player Classics, 7-Zip, the Intel utilities (Remote Keyboard and Driver update utility) and Logitech SetPoint.

Best regards

• 6. Re: Troubles on STK1AW32SC : microSD not working and very slow Wi-Fi connection
                    dudecompute

Hi

just as an FYI, when i added my 128Gb , it performed badly. Logically i think windows 10 needed to see the disk as a "true hdd" and not an extenal ssd flash drive. Hence I went into device manager looked for the device, --> properties --> Policies and  enabled write caching. Right after that, everything was splendid.

• 7. Re: Troubles on STK1AW32SC : microSD not working and very slow Wi-Fi connection
                      Moon-IT

Hi dudecompute,

Thanks for your tip: I enabled write caching but errors were still present during writing and reading operations. Then I formatted the card (exFat) and for 1 day it worked fine (I was able to perform DiskMark tests with no errors)!

Today unfortunately, after rebooting the system, errors  began to occur again even if I did not do any hardware modifications.

In the next few days I'll try to change the FileSystem to NTFS format…

• 8. Re: Troubles on STK1AW32SC : microSD not working and very slow Wi-Fi connection
                        Intel Corporation

dudecompute, thanks for your assistance.

To: Moon-IT,

Hello Moon-IT,

I am really sorry to know that your issue persists.

Please let me know if the issue continues after change the FileSystem to NTFS format…

Best regards,
                        Angie

• 9. Re: Troubles on STK1AW32SC : microSD not working and very slow Wi-Fi connection
                          dudecompute

Mine is formatted in NTFS. The windows filesystem will be using NTFS as well, so it would make sense to have both on the same file system.

You may also want to ensure that the paging file is not using the external ssd.

It wont hurt to a scan disk on the SD card.

It may not hurt to test with another SD to eliminate the original SD card being problematic.

• 10. Re: Troubles on STK1AW32SC : microSD not working and very slow Wi-Fi connection
                            Moon-IT

I performed several tests using NTFS filesystem but the microSD card doesn’t work (either formatting again in exFAT).

Paging file settings was already active only on the internal SD.

Win10 scan disk reports no errors. Chkdsk /f /r command stops working failing to determine the free disk space.

Anyway, errors are extremely random, and I don’t know how it worked for more than 1 day.

I noticed that with NTFS FileSystem performances decreased a lot, especially in writing files (9 MB/s).
                            After the first system warning (Event ID 153) the miscroSD is no longer accessible using Windows Explorer or Windows disk management. Task Manager shows a 100% activity for microSD card even if I stopped all the running programs such as DiskMark.
                            Also rebooting the OS stops working and I have to wait 15-30 minutes (until the card is detected again by the OS), or to reset using power button.

I tested again the card with a digital camera (after re formatting) and it works fine. At the moment I haven’t another microSD card to run other tests. This is the second card I try to use (the first has been replaced by the store just bought).

Thanks

• 11. Re: Troubles on STK1AW32SC : microSD not working and very slow Wi-Fi connection
                              Intel Corporation

Hello Moon-IT,

Please let me know if after this new test the issue persist.

Best regards,
                              Angie