5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2016 12:42 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC6i7KYK rebooting - Kernel 41

ve3nsv

Hello,

I purchased a NUC6i7KYK around 6 weeks ago. It was crashing daily using BIOS 37 so I updated it to the latest BIOS of 42. I managed to get 3 weeks of run time without it rebooting but unfortunately it has started rebooting daily again.

OS is Windows 7

Hard drive is a Samsung 850 EVO M.2 - Samsung Magician says the Firmware is up to date and the power options are optimised for SSD performance.

Memory is a single 16GB G.Skill F4-2400C16S-16GRS running at 1997mhz according to CPUZ.

NUC Crashing.PNG

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK rebooting - Kernel 41
          N.Scott.Pearson

What is your BIOS event log saying has been happening?

As has been recommended to so many others, you should be using 2133 memory. Try manually dialing it down or replacing it.

...S

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK rebooting - Kernel 41
            ve3nsv

Hi Scott,

There is nothing showing in my BIOS event log besides showing that it's enabled.

I went in the BIOS this morning and changed the multiplier from 18 to 16 which brought my memory speed down from 2400 to 2133. I'll let you know in a day or so if that worked or not.

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK rebooting - Kernel 41
              ve3nsv

Hi Scott,

I managed to get 5 days before the unit rebooted again today with the same error in the event viewer. Anything else you can think to try?

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK rebooting - Kernel 41
                ve3nsv

And it rebooted again within a couple hours after my last post.

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK rebooting - Kernel 41
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Well, it's still my belief that the RAM is responsible for these issues. I can only suggest that you get true 2133 DIMMs.

I would also point out that 2x8GB is better performing than 1x16GB; because there are separate memory controllers for each DIMM socket, two DIMMs will allow interleaved R/W operations to be performed. It is also important to purchase matched pairs, so there are no differences in the operation of the two memory buses. I know this makes it difficult to implement a plan where you purchase one DIMM now and one in the future, but you potentially aren't going to be able to match exactly with any significant amount of time in between.

The two KY NUCs that I am running both have matched-pair kits (Crucial 2x16GB 2133 kit (CT2K16G4SFD8213) and Crucial 2x8GB 2133 kit (CR2K8GS4SFD8213), respectively). I have never seen a reboot occur with either system - nor any with the i5 SY NUC that I am also testing, which also has one of the latter kits installed.

...S