12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2016 3:20 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYH (built 08/2016) Wifi issues

PGiorgio

BIOS 0054

Driver 19.20.3.4 (Oct. 31, 2016)

OS: Windows 10 64bit recently installed and fully updated

Connection: 50Mbs

From where the NUC currently is, my iPhone 6, my Android tablet and my former computer (iMac 2009) all download at 30/35 Mbs.

The NUC doesn't go faster than 20Mbs (5 Ghz) and a shocking 1Mbs (2.4 Ghz). It is a busy area, full of noises and whatnot, but certainly, at least in terms of sheer speed, the NUC is supposed to fare better?

Is there something I can do to improve the situation?

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH (built 08/2016) Wifi issues
          N.Scott.Pearson

Well, I can certainly understand the latter result; the 2.4GHz band is becoming completely saturated, not to mention your own Bluetooth communication and USB 3.0 device usage are generating interference in this band. While Intel (and, for Americans, the FCC (because you could be violating federal regulations)) don't like me saying so, you could switch to external (and (hint) perhaps even higher-gain) antennas.

...S

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH (built 08/2016) Wifi issues
            PGiorgio

Well, it was easier than I thought... I "just" had to download every possible NUC driver from Intel site...

I don't know what did the trick: bluetooth? Chipset? Audio?

Anyway, right now I'm downloading at full speed (5 Ghz), much better and much more stable than my old Mac.

Speaking of which... When Windows says: "you have the driver for this device, and you have the most up-to-date driver for this device", does it mean "go to the manufacter's site and download a better driver?"

I've had issues with my wireless printer too: I wasted I don't know how much paper trying to print a pdf file... turned out it was a problem with Microsoft Edge...

O well, my bad, I guess...

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH (built 08/2016) Wifi issues
              N.Scott.Pearson

Some driver packages have version numbers that are different from that for the actual driver. For example, the HD Graphics package includes both a graphics driver and an audio driver. Because one, the other or both of these drivers could be updated in a particular release, the version number needs to remain independent. What then happens is that the version number is incorrectly compared (by the Windows 10 update engine) and these messages produced. There is also the chance that a newer driver is available through Windows Update. This can occur because the NUC team always test the driver completely before posting it to the web site and this can take longer to happen than the generic driver release path (to Microsoft) (yes, I agree that this shouldn't happen, but the NUC team has no control over what the Driver teams do). Regardless, unless instructed otherwise by Customer Support (for example, to a beta driver), you should always be using the drivers on the web site (and not let Windows 10 automatically update drivers)...

...S

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYH (built 08/2016) Wifi issues
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello PGiorgio,

I would like to know if your concern has been solved?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
                Angie.

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYH (built 08/2016) Wifi issues
                  PGiorgio

Actually, I've had the same problems since yesterday: after a power failure, I got intermittent results with the speed tests (and downloads from FTP), from 18Mbs to 35Mbs, never above. Since I don't know what caused (and solved) the issue in the first place, I don't know what to do now...

Any idea is welcome.

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYH (built 08/2016) Wifi issues
                    PGiorgio

Things are going from bad to worse... First of all, I'm experiencing intermittent disconnections. It seems I can't do better than 12Mbs on the speed tests. I downgraded the driver from 19.20.3.4 to 19.20.0.6 (?) and then to 18.40 (?) with no noticeable results. I then tried to install the Intel driver I downloaded from the website (Wireless_19.20.0_PROSet64_Win10) but I couldn't because "a newer version is already installed". What am I supposed to do? Reinstall Windows? I would, if I was certain the problem could be solved...

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYH (built 08/2016) Wifi issues
                      N.Scott.Pearson

You couldn't? Of course you can! Just ignore this message and tell the installer to continue.

...S

• 8. Re: NUC6i5SYH (built 08/2016) Wifi issues
                        PGiorgio

Nope. Here's the screen I see (trying to translate from Italian):

Installation has been blocked.

A newer version of the driver is already installed.

Correct the error and try again.

Quit (only button I can press).Cattura.JPG

• 9. Re: NUC6i5SYH (built 08/2016) Wifi issues
                          PGiorgio

Ok, that was the "software"... I uninstalled like it was an app. I guess the available drivers are:

18.40.something = shipped with Win 10

19.20.0.6 = shipped with the "Software Intel Proset/Wireless"

19.20.3.4 = I think I first got it with the "Anniversary Update", anyway can be obtained by clicking on "update driver" (manage devices).

The fact is, none of these drivers seem to have a particular impact on Wifi performances. You know what does? This is incredible... MY DOOR!!! It has a brass doorknob which apparently causes some sort of interference: when I close the door and do a speed test, I reach 38/40Mbs, with the door open, the doorknob "stands in the way".

I still don't get "full speed" though, maybe I had to install the drivers in a particular order? Like first chipset, then bluetooth, then the  "Software Intel Proset/Wireless"?

• 10. Re: NUC6i5SYH (built 08/2016) Wifi issues
                            Intel Corporation

Hello PGiorgio,

In order to confirm the proper order for the driver installation, you can go to the following link:

Driver Installation Order (also, after the chipset please proceed with the Intel® Management Engine driver)

On the next link, you will be able to find the driver list for your Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH:

Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH

Try to install the drivers and please let me know the results.

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Best regards,
                            Angie

• 11. Re: NUC6i5SYH (built 08/2016) Wifi issues
                              PGiorgio

Bingo!

I reinstalled Windows, followed the driver installation order and bang! Now I do use my connection at its best.

I have to say it was a bit of a problem since the Wifi wasn't recognized by Windows, so I had to install the chipset driver, the management engine, and the Wifi driver before I could download the updates. Maybe I should have used an ethernet connection, but I simply couldn't.

Anyway, problem solved!

• 12. Re: NUC6i5SYH (built 08/2016) Wifi issues
                                Intel Corporation

Hello PGiorgio,

I am really glad to know that your concern has been solved.

For any further concern, do not hesitate to use our Intel Communities Support

Best regards,
                                Angie