4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 6:13 PM by Aarne

Intel Desktop Utility

Aarne

In the Intel Desktop Utilities, the CPU and Mobo scale

is reversed.The scale has 3 zones;green,yellow and red. 0

is at the end of red zone and 80 at the end of green Zone.

It should be the other way.

When I'm working,it shows and registers higher temperatures on the scales

when the computer is idle than when I'm working with the computer

like CAD or games. Sooner or later I get the warning "Close the

computer, etc."

Computer Home made

CPU: Intel i7-890

MOBO: DP55WG

Memory; Corsair DDR3 4 sticks 2GB

BIOS: KGIBX10J.86A

Please advise

Aarne

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/Kalev2/IntelDesktopUtilities.jpg[/IMG]

• 1. Re: Intel Desktop Utility
          steppinwolf

Aarne, this threw me off at first too, but it seems Intel decided to use a relative scale. Makes sense after thinking about it. Tempurature only has meaning if you are familiar with or have a reference for what is an acceptable range. Actually the green, yellow, red zones provide that frame of reference, but using "thermal margin" instead of tempurature means we only need the number to quickly assess thermal status of a component.

For example, a thermal margin of 2 on the processor indicates you're at the upper limit of acceptable operating tempurature. How accurate the sensors are is another question, but relative values allow us to judge thermal health with a single piece of information (no gauge or reference required). If this is incorrect, hopefully someone who really knows will jump in.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel Desktop Utility
            Aarne

Hi Steppingwolf,your reply went somewhat over my head. I need more time to figure out Intel's Relative scale and the benifits of it.

Your reply was very helpful. Now I know that everything is O.K. with my Intel Desktop Utility. Thanks ,Aarne

• 3. Re: Intel Desktop Utility
              steppinwolf

Arnie, for clarity I should have included a contrasting example where the thermal margin is a very large number like 75. (This happens to be the current average margin for my processor at idle). In that case you know there's a comfortable margin between your current temp and a thermal emergency (margin of 0). But it sounds like you've already got the idea. A big number now means we're OK.

• 4. Re: Intel Desktop Utility
                Aarne

Hi Steppinwolf, thanks for clearing up this matter for me and hopefully for others too. I think I understand it pretty well now.

Thanks again, Aarne