1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2016 2:48 AM by yiannis17

SD card reader  problem

yiannis17

I bought my NUK skull a month ago and everything was smooth until last night. The SD card reader on the pc doesn’t allow to write or delete anything at  the inserted card. Only read… My operating system is Windows 10 home. Any ideas are welcome! 

• 1. Re: SD card reader  problem
          lw1948

Hello yiannis17

1. Check if the lock switch on your SD card is in unlock position (towards contacts).

2. If the switch was in unlock position and the SD card is still write protected, format this card using Windows.

3. See Method 1 and 2 in the following link:3 Ways to Remove Write Protection on an SD Card - wikiHow

• 2. Re: SD card reader  problem
            yiannis17

Thank you for your answer  lw 1948. I checked the lock switch and it's at the right position. The thing is that I have the same issue with different sd cards and more over i cannot disconnect the sd card from the pc  using the ''Safely remove hardware and eject media'' option. it looks like that the card is being used. I think the problem is with the card reader and not the card or cards...

• 3. Re: SD card reader  problem
              lw1948

Hello yiannis17,

1. Did you try to format this SD card in your NUC? It is possible?

2. Do you have an USB adapter for SD card to check/format trough USB port?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: SD card reader  problem
                yiannis17

Lw1948 i did not try to format the sd card. I will try to re-install the driver for the card reader and then, if this doesn’t work,  i will try to format the card either directly or by using a USB adaptor. I hope re-installing the driver will solve the problem!

• 5. Re: SD card reader  problem
                  Lithorien

In your BIOS, do you have the SD card set to Read/Write, or Read Only? (It's under Advanced > Devices > Onboard Devices.)

See attached picture for what I am talking about. (The text next to SD Card is unreadable, but on mine it says Read/Write.)

IMG_0986.JPG

• 6. Re: SD card reader  problem
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

The BIOS version 0042 might help on this matter.
                    Please confirm if you already have that version, or update it to the latest version.

Allan.

• 7. Re: SD card reader  problem
                      yiannis17

Hi! I updated the bios from 033 to 043 but the problem is still there. I also checked as Lithorien suggested the settings of the card reader in bios. It’s set to read/write. So any other options?

• 8. Re: SD card reader  problem
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thanks for the update.
                        It seems to be hardware issue since BIOS and drivers were loaded on this computer.
                        Please contact Intel support for warranty options.

Allan.

• 9. Re: SD card reader  problem
                          yiannis17

Thank you Allan! Before contacting Intel support , do you think a format could solve the problem?

• 10. Re: SD card reader  problem
                            N.Scott.Pearson

Are you running Windows 10? If so, has the 1607 Anniversary Update been installed? There have been instances where this update - which actually installs as an O/S upgrade, not an update - inadvertently deletes files required by device drivers and applications. My suggestion is for you to (1) uninstall the SD Card Reader drive, (2) reboot (important!) and then (3) reinstall the driver.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 11. Re: SD card reader  problem
                              yiannis17

Thanks Scott!  My OS is Windows 10 and last time checked the 1607 anniversary update was not installed. I will uninstall the card reader and reinstall it after rebooting the pc as you suggested!

• 12. Re: SD card reader  problem
                                N.Scott.Pearson

Let us know what happens...S

• 13. Re: SD card reader  problem
                                  yiannis17

Well Scott i tried what you suggested with no success unfortunately... So now as i see it there are two options, first format and second , if format doesn’t solve the problem , Intel support… But I strongly believe that this is a software issue somehow. I will let you know.

• 14. Re: SD card reader  problem
                                    N.Scott.Pearson

In this situation, what I would do (before blowing it away and starting again) is force Windows 10 to install all available updates (including the anniversary update; this is what I call "getting the pain over with all at once").

To do this, click in Start, then Settings and then Update & Security. By default, the Update Status display will be generated. If it says updates have already been downloaded (by listing them), tell it to go ahead and install and reboot. If it says updates have been installed (also listing them), tell it to go ahead and reboot. If it just says "Check for Updates", click on this and have it check again. If it says updates are there, start the installation process.

After any reboot, go through this process again. Only when you click on "Check for Updates" and it comes back and says there are no updates available, will you know you are completely done.

Once this process has been completed, you then want to download the latest drivers for your NUC from Intel's site and install them. In the case of the WiFi, Bluetooth and SD drivers, uninstall any existing driver, reboot and then install the one that you downloaded. If you ever get a message saying that the driver already installed on your system is newer, ignore this message and install the one that you downloaded.

I should point out that this painful process is only necessary if the possibility of a major update exists (like the Anniversary Update - which installs as an O/S upgrade rather than a simple update). You don't need to do this normally (though I do anyway - but I am anal)...

...S

1 2 Previous Next