8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2016 4:12 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC 6i3SYH - RAM Problem

J.H.

Hall zusammen,

ich habe ein leidiges Problem mit einem neuen NUC 6i3SYH welchen ich mir gekauft habe.

Da der NUC bis 32GB laut Intel Spezifikation bestückt werden kann, habe ich  2x 8 GB von Crucial bestellt.

Crucial CT2K8G4SFD8213 DDR4-2133 SO-DIMM CL15 Dual Kit

Mit diesem RAM bootet der NUC nur wenn Bank 1, also nur 8GB, bestückt sind.

Sobald Bank 2 auch bestückt ist, habe ich einen Schwarzen Bildschirm. Es gibt aber auch keinen Blinkcode o.Ä.

Ein Kreuztausch der Riegel, also den vermeintlich zweiten Riegel auf Bank 1, zeigt das identische Ergebnis.

Somit ist der RAM nicht defekt aber inkompatibel.

http://www.crucial.de/deu/de/nuc6i3syh/CT8058160#productDetails

Laut Crucial soll der Speicher aber mit dem 6i3SYH kompatibel sein. Was stimmt nun?

Nun habe ich bei Intel auf den Supportseite die Liste der unterstützten Speicher angeschaut und dort einen Speicher ausgesucht.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-kits/000016245.html

Ich habe mich für den Samsung M471A1G43DB0-CPB entschieden.

Gestern ist der RAM nun angekommen und ich habe das exakt selbe Ergebnis.

Der NUC bootet nicht mit beiden bestückten Bänken. Nur wenn Bank 1 bestückt ist, geht auch der Monitor an.

Ich bin mittlerweile schon leicht genervt, weil die Rücksenderei der Riegel auch auf meine Kosten geht und ich gerne einen funktionierenden NUC hätte.

Ist hier der NUC Defekt oder sind die Speicherriegel von der Qualität her schwankend?

Danke für Eure Tipps.

Jakob

• 1. Re: NUC 6i3SYH - RAM Problem
          lw1948

Hello Jakob,

1. Is your NUC updated with the latest BIOS (0054?).

2. Any way, I'll try to update the BIOS using recovery method: BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC.

3. Set the Bios to default values (press F9) and then F10 to save and exit.

4. Check the RAM again.

• 2. Re: NUC 6i3SYH - RAM Problem
            N.Scott.Pearson

I am using this exact RAM (CT2K8G4SFD8213) in both SY and KY NUCs. I am also using the 16GB versions (CT2K16G4SFD8213) in another KY NUC. Bottom line, this is NOT a compatibility issue.

As Leon has indicated, the first step is, with a single DIMM installed, to update the BIOS to the latest version. I too recommend that you do so via the Recovery Method. After updating the BIOS via the Recovery Method, you should always (via F9) reset the BIOS configuration to defaults.

If, after this update, you are still seeing the issue, you have two options. First, if you can return the NUC to the place of purchase and get a replacement through them, so do. If you cannot get it replaced through them, you should directly contact Intel Customer Support, using their phone, chat or email services, and arrange a replacement via the RMA process. I recommend that you call them on the phone. You can look up the local phone number to call here: Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Europe, Middle East and Africa.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: NUC 6i3SYH - RAM Problem
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

To lw1948 and N. Scott Pearson, thank you very much for all the information provided.

To: J.H.

Hello J.H.

I would like to know if the information provided was able to solve your concern?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
              Angie.

• 4. Re: NUC 6i3SYH - RAM Problem
                J.H.

Dear all,

thank you for the fast feedback.

I have already updated the BIOS to 054, but i´ve done it by the Windows executable.

I´ll do it once again by recovery method and reset the BIOS as proposed.

I think i will do it today or tomorrow evening after work and give you the feedback!

Thanks from Germany

J.H.

• 5. Re: NUC 6i3SYH - RAM Problem
                  Intel Corporation

Hello J.H.,

Thank you very much.

Do not hesitate to reply back once that you have further results.

Best regards,
                  Angie.

• 6. Re: NUC 6i3SYH - RAM Problem
                    J.H.

Hello gents,

thank you for the hints, but the actions were not successful.

After forced BIOS update and BIOS reset...

The NUC 6i3SYH still doesn't boot up with 2 RAM PCBs.

I have to send it back to amazon.de . But i´ve checked it 2 hours ago, amazon.de does not have anymore this item in stock....so i have to send it back and receive my money back. This is not what i am expecting.

It is frustrating, i´m working on this computer for 3 weeks, and i´ve invested already time and money for checking and sending back "non compatible" RAM PCBs to suppliers.... and this part is still not working.

Best regards

JH

• 7. Re: NUC 6i3SYH - RAM Problem
                      Intel Corporation

Hello J.H.,

In regard to your concern, you can find the description of the supported specifications for the memory of your NUC:

Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i3SYH Technical Specifications

Also at the following link, you will be able to see the list of memories that have been tested on your NUC:

System Memory for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i3SY/NUC6i5SY

The Samsung M471A1G43DB0-CPB it has been tested, but for 8GB only.

Please let me know if the information provided was able to help you, or if you need further assistance?

Best regards,
                      Angie

• 8. Re: NUC 6i3SYH - RAM Problem
                        Intel Corporation

Hello J.H.,

I would like to know if the information provided to you was able to solve your concern?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
                        Angie.