8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2017 3:47 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC5i5RYK boots very slowly

venik212

I am using a NUC5i5RYK with 16 gb of Crucial ram and 250 gb Samsung SSD, running linux/Mint 18.0 with Cinnamon 3.07.  It used to boot in about 8 seconds, but now, after upgrading the BIOS to the latest version (359), it spends about 8 seconds between showing the INTEL NUC logo and the BIOS menu (f2... f7... etc), and the rest of the boot process is much slower as well. I checked all the things I know how to check, but could not find the culprit. 

systemd-analyze produces the following output:

18.8 sec (firmware), 5.5 sec (loader) 1.9 sec (kernel) 8 sec (userspace). Total: 34.5 seconds.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: NUC5i5RYK boots very slowly
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello venik212,

In regard to your concern, you can try to follow the steps for a fast boot provided by Linux at the following link:

LPC: Booting Linux in five seconds

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
          Angie

• 2. Re: NUC5i5RYK boots very slowly
            venik212

Angie,

Thanks-- there was a lot of interesting information in the url you sent, but much of it required major surgery on Linux.  Since I did NOT make any changes to Linux which could cause the slow down, going into it with a sledge hammer to undo damage done by a BIOS upgrade seems unreasonable.

In particular, the 8-9 seconds that the NUC spends now between the appearances of the INTEL NUC logo and the BIOS menu are certainly not the fault of Linux, and in fact what the NUC is doing then is invisible to the systemd-analyze diagnostic tool of Linux.

I only hope that other people's complaints about it will encourage Intel to figure out the problem and eventually fix it.

• 3. Re: NUC5i5RYK boots very slowly
              Intel Corporation

Hello venik212,

Thanks for your reply

I have sent a private message to you in regard to your current thread.

Regards,
              Angie

• 4. Re: NUC5i5RYK boots very slowly
                venik212

Hi Angie,

I am using Mint 18.0 with Cinnamon 3., Linux kernel 4.4.0-47. BIOS version 359 (latest).

I should tell you that I have been investigating this issue (slow boot), and have now  made some changes to my installation of Linux: suppressed the NetworkManager and a few other  minor changes I cannot recall now.  To my astonishment, the BUC now boots in 21 seconds, and the 8 seconds delay between the appearance of the INTEL NUC logo and the BIOS menu has disappeared.  21 seconds is still longer than the 12 seconds of my previous boot delay, but I can live with that.

Perhaps I should add that the NUC mini display port is hooked up to the HDMI input port of a Yamaha RX-V581 AV receiver, since I use the NUC5i5RYK as a HTPC.  I am not sure if that could have any effect, but I disabled the HDMI control on the Yamaha receiver.

Thanks for your help and your attention to my issues--

Yours,

EK

PS-- I tried to send this as a reply to your message, but it bounced back, so I am posting it here.

• 5. Re: NUC5i5RYK boots very slowly
                  Intel Corporation

Hello venik212,

I do apologize for the delay on my reply.

We still continue working with your concern to confirm if there is any solution that we can try to provide from our end.

As soon as I have further details, I will let you know.

Best regards,
                  Angie

• 6. Re: NUC5i5RYK boots very slowly
                    Intel Corporation

Hello venik212,

I do apologize for the delay on my reply.

I would like you to please try my following recommendations:

• Could you please try to create a live OS that boots from a USB device, in order to test another Operating System (OS). At the following links, you will find some information related to this matter:
                    LinuxLive USB Creator

Live OS
                    • Also, could you please try to confirm if you have the latest BIOS version, if not you can complete the BIOS update with the F7 method. The next links will provide you the information needed:
                    BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK

Please let me know your findings.

Best regards,
                    Angie
                    • 7. Re: NUC5i5RYK boots very slowly
                      lw1948

Hello venik212

Check your NUC boot time after disabling in BIOS settings Network boot.

Leon

• 8. Re: NUC5i5RYK boots very slowly
                        Intel Corporation

lw1948, thanks for your assistance.

To: venik212

Hello venik212,

I would like to know if the information provided to you was able to solve your concern?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
                        Angie.