2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2016 10:58 AM by newnerd Branched from an earlier discussion.

Re: Intel SSDPEKKW256G7 NVMe SSD causing Power Surge warning on NUC5i3RYH with Windows 10

N.Scott.Pearson

The Power-Surge status is something that is reported by the USB Hubs and is passed up through the USB software stack. It has absolutely nothing to do with the PCIe interface or the NVMe SSD. This issue is more likely something that is occurring as a result of something occurring during the O/S install. My suggestion would be to make sure you have the latest Intel drivers installed for the Chipset. My recommendation is you go to the downloads page for your NUC (here: Search downloads) and manually download and install all of the latest drivers for your O/S version; do not waste your time trying to use the Intel Driver Update Utility; it is just too buggy.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 1. Re: Intel SSDPEKKW256G7 NVMe SSD causing Power Surge warning on NUC5i3RYH with Windows 10
          newnerd

Thanks for the suggestions!  Actually,  I always download the latest OS drivers for the OS I am installing prior to installation.  Remarkably,  after the Windows 10  install,  Device Manager showed no missing or malfunctioning drivers.  I went ahead and installed every driver I downloaded from Intel thinking that they might be better or more complete than the basic Windows drivers.  One of the Intel drivers wouldn't install with a pop-up message saying the OS driver was newer.  I can't remember which one ...duh.  I'll check and see if the installed chipset driver is newer than the one I downloaded and install it if newer.  

Since you stated the ssd can not be a possible cause,  I'm thinking I'll probably have to re-install the O.S. to fix the problem.  Not looking forward to that because I have already installed Ubuntu in UEFI in a dual boot on the second hard drive and will probably have to re-install it too and it works fine compared to windows 10.

• 2. Re: Intel SSDPEKKW256G7 NVMe SSD causing Power Surge warning on NUC5i3RYH with Windows 10
            newnerd

I found the problem......I think!   I re-installed Windows 10 but still got frequent power surge warnings....everytime I woke it from sleep as well.  I remembered a problem I had with USB ports on a previous NUC pc that caused the wireless keyboard and mouse to malfunction and the cure suggested was to unplug the wireless receiver and plug it into a USB extension cable.    Just on a hunch I tried that with the NUC5i3RYH that was acting up and EUREKA.....I haven't had a power surge warning for two days...even when I use all 4 ports, including one connecting my HP monitor with 4 USB 3.0 ports. 

I think Intel still has work to do with either the NUC firmware or chipset driver.   This shouldn't have happened if the NUC was working right.  I am using the latest downloads for Chipset, MEI, wireless, CIR drivers for Windows 10.