8 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2013 6:21 AM by Jim Turner

DG43GT: Can't find/install "SMBus Controller" Driver !!

Walt

I have a new DG43GT motherboard with Win XP Pro SP3 installed.

If I go into Device Manager, all looks OK except for the SM Bus Controller.  That is listed under Other Devices, and has

the yellow question mark next to it.

I have tried to manually install it by doing the typical Update Driver.  No luck. 

• I have tried pointing to (having it search), one by one and collectively, the driver directories on the CD that came with the board.  That failed.

• I have tried downloading and installing (twice !) the latest INF for my board, INF_allOS_9.1.1.1025_PV.exe.   That failed.

• I have tried pointing to Windows INF directory. That failed.

Does anyone know where this driver is?   It would sure help if I could get the exact driver, so that I could "force" (don't search, I will choose the driver to install)  its installation.

• 1. Re: DG43GT: Can't find/install "SMBus Controller" Driver !!
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Run the chipset driver using the following switch from command prompt.

-OVERALL      
                          Updates ALL INF drivers on all available devices even if third party drivers are currently installed. This flag works in Interactive Mode only.

If not fixed, Post the screenshot of the unknown device and the hardware id fo the device from the device manager. We will assist you further.

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DG43GT: Can't find/install "SMBus Controller" Driver !!
            Walt

Much thanks for the quick reply!

I tried executing from a command prompt, the latest INF file with the -OVERALL switch.  Didn't work.

Here are the screen shots you requested...

http://i46.tinypic.com/16kcg0o.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/dx1s11.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/nvxrnq.jpg

I hope there is a clue in there, somewhere, that you help ID a solution.

Again thanks! 

• 3. Re: DG43GT: Can't find/install "SMBus Controller" Driver !!
              Walt

Maybe I am "barking up the wrong tree here".

I think the driver install file I need would be called "ichasmb.inf", because my board is using the ICH10 chip.  The problem is, I can't seem to find such a file, though I have found references to it! 

I searched around Intel's website, and ended up downloading a slightly older version of the INF files because Intel also offered the download in a .zip file format.  I unpacked the .zip file, search down thru all the .inf files in the .zip, and there are several icha___.inf files BTW, but not a ichasmb.inf file.

Am I on the right track here?  If so, where is this elusive ichasmb.inf ?? 

• 4. Re: DG43GT: Can't find/install "SMBus Controller" Driver !!
                Aryan2411

Hello,

To my knowledge, you are on the right track. Me too i was thinking the same yesterday, i wanted to check.

After installing the chipset driver, you shoud have a folder named Intel in the drive C:/.

Go to this location: C:\Intel\Logs\

Open the file IntelChipset.log

Look for Device ID 3A30, you will see that the driver for this unknown device is listed.

Here is what you will see:

Current INF = C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\IPMx2\All\ichasmb.inf
                            Date = 02/25/2008
                            Version = 9.0.0.1005
                            ClassGUID = {4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
                            PackageInfo.Name =
                            PackageInfo.Sequence = 0
                            PackageInfo.INFSource =
                            Manufacturer = INTEL_SYS,NTamd64
                            Resolved Manufacturer = INTEL_SYS.NTamd64
                            Inf supports 64 bit.
                            Description: Intel(R) ICH10 Family SMBus Controller - 3A30
                            HardwareID = PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A30
                            Description: Intel(R) ICH10 Family SMBus Controller - 3A60
                            HardwareID = PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A60
                            Matched HardwareID = PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A30

Possibly, you may go to this location:

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\IPMx2\All\ichasmb.inf

And try to see if you can install the driver manually.

Let me know how it goes.

By the way, have you installed Intel (R) Desktop Utilities?

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DG43GT: Can't find/install "SMBus Controller" Driver !!
                  Walt

OK, I got it solved ! ! ! !  

The solution was that I had to find an INF driver dating back from 2008

As far as I can tell, that was the last time Intel included the required ichasmb.inf and ichasmb.cat files within the INF. 

I am not sure why Intel removed these required files from newer INF drivers, but they sadly did.  Possibly most people today are simply upgrading and are not doing a new fresh install.  However, I now consider omitting these files an Intel bug.

In searching the 'net, I found that I was not the only one with this problem.  Not only is my Intel motherboard affected, but I found some ASUS customers affected too (ASUS motherboards using the same Intel G43/ICH10 chipset).

Now, Intel doesn't offer INF drivers from 2008 for downloading anymore, but I did find them still available on ASUS's support website.  On there I downloaded Intel_ChipsetInf_V9001011.zip.  In its "all" directory, one can find the long sought driver files.

• 6. Re: Can't find/install "SMBus Controller" Driver !!

Aryan,

Maybe you can help me. I have the same problem with the "SM Bus Controller" driver. When I run the programs you suggest it tells me my computer does not meet the minimum requirements?? after if unpacks the files. I have a 2005 HP Windows XP SP3 Media Center Edition Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz chip. There is no reference to this chipset on the lists. My log is huge! Don't know what mother board # it is and I don't know what to try next. I'm stuck and have router setup problems on this PC, USB ports are not working on my Toshiba Laptop!!

Steve

• 7. Re: Can't find/install "SMBus Controller" Driver !!
                      Aryan2411

Hello,,

Try to use Intel Desktop Identification tool to see if you are using an intel (r) desktop board.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-012681.htm

Another option:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-030327.htm

What is the issue with the board? If you have an unknown device, please post a screenshot of hardware id and device id from device manager.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 8. Re: DG43GT: Can't find/install "SMBus Controller" Driver !!
                        Jim Turner

I have the same problem but with an Asus F3JC Laptop.

I note the chipset link you recommended is for Desktops.

I have used the driver scan utility on the website and it showed two updates. I installed these but the yellow exclamation mark is still there.

I ran the chipset identity utility and it showed

Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Chipsets or Intel(R) 945GT Express Chipset

HELP!!!