Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

(If) miniaturisation in the future slows, will intel stack more layers ex. 60 for x2 speed if not already trying?

idata
Employee

(If) miniaturisation in the future slows, will intel stack more layers ex. 60 for x2 speed if not already trying?

If all of the circuitry in a layer is only a few dozen atoms high, then there should be tons of room to make the chip basically a cube of layers stacked - just doubling the amount of stacked layers would "give you x2 the power next year".

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for the feedback provide related to the manufacturing process or technology used.

About your question, I will further investigate and come back to you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Also, since a CPU or "cube" only takes up a small space in a tower pc, will intel ever experiment with for example a tower pc that is made of sectioned cubes (to take away heat) that each hold either a "cube" or flat CPU that each connect to a motherboard somehow? Basically if you make the CPUs into cubes and fill a space such as the size of a skull, just that would give so much power. I think it's time intel start doing this too, they have focused too much on the miniaturisation, it's time they fill up that space like the brain in a skull/tower does! Intel has already did the first part, now they have to make the circuit bigger, there's no reason they must keep the CPUs half an inch wide etc.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I much really appreciate the ideas and implementations you are providing us!

This will be sent to a specialized department for it to be reviewed.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Also also, note the brain is made of neurons which are quite spaced apart, so if intel did make a 3D brain of its nano architecture then it would have more computational power. But, while this is great, that this brain would be 100s of times more compact, it may be better to keep the architecture bigger than Skylake/Haswell but still more compact than the neurons are spaced so that when the brain is created it would "survive" the heat made by this brain better!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Dota,

That sounds quite amazing actually!!

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is the specialized department going to reply back to you, or possibly here, or don't reply back?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Basically, the feedback is received, we send it to the team in charge, they review it and if applicable, they apply or proceed with it.

I am sorry this was not clarified before.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos