8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2016 6:16 PM by Intel Corporation

Can't install Ubuntu-12.04 on NUC5i7RYH

vick

Hi Forum,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu-12.04.5 on an Intel NUC Broadwell 2.5" Wifi I7-5557U (NUC5i7RYH) but having zero success.

It would appear that this older version of Ubuntu doesn't support the fancy graphics card on this NUC and as such, the Ubuntu graphical installer is garbled and I'm unable to go through the install process, i.e., can't click on buttons, select options, etc., since things are blacked-out on the screen.

I've carried out installation from this same medium on an older HP laptop, and everything went well, so I'm sure the installation medium (USB-stick) works, and the ISO image itself is fine. I've also successfully managed to install a newer version, Ubuntu-14.04, on the NUC, and that was successful, so it is possible to have 'something' running on the NUC.

My challenge is that I MUST have the Ubuntu-12.04 version (related to a kernel feature integrated with this kernel) so any other version of Ubuntu, newer or older, while installable on the NUC, will unfortunately not serve my purpose.

My question is whether there is a way to 'downgrade' the graphics hardware somehow (e.g., via BIOS) to make it work in 12.04 mode?

FYI, I've also tried doing a command-line install of 12.04, but then hit a different problem: GRUB installer failed. So, my 12.04 OS is on the disk but I can't boot into it!

Any suggestions on how I can get Ubuntu 12.04 running on my Intel NUC Broadwell 2.5" Wifi I7-5557U (NUC5i7RYH) would be greatly appreciated!

--vick

• 1. Re: Can't install Ubuntu-12.04 on NUC5i7RYH
          N.Scott.Pearson

My expectation would be that you won't get this to work. If the kernel doesn't have support for the processor generation and/or chipset/SOC features, it isn't going to work, plain and simple. If you are into customer Kernels, you can try either integrating this feature you want into a later kernel or integrating support for this processor generation and/or chipset/SOC features into this kernel.

Sorry I didn't have a better answer,

...S

• 2. Re: Can't install Ubuntu-12.04 on NUC5i7RYH
            fugounashi

You need to be using hardware older than your kernel.  Try to find an older nuc or try an emulator.  Or better still, find a supported alternative for your software requirements or you are going to keep having problems...

• 3. Re: Can't install Ubuntu-12.04 on NUC5i7RYH
              N.Scott.Pearson

Yes, absolutely true; you could likely run this kernel in a VM.

...S

• 4. Re: Can't install Ubuntu-12.04 on NUC5i7RYH
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

N. Scott Pearson, thanks for all your help.

To: vick

Hello vick,

I will be more than glad to assist you with your current concern.

Before I can provide you further support I would like to confirm if the information provided was able to provide you with some steps in order to solve your questions?

Regards,
                Angie

• 5. Re: Can't install Ubuntu-12.04 on NUC5i7RYH
                  vick

Thanks everyone for the replies! Yes, I too had reached the VM conclusion to run my 'older custom kernel' as a virtual machine.

I tested this yesterday (Ubuntu 14.04 host running VirtualBox, and my 12.04 as a VM) and it does work. It does suffer some performance issues compared to bare-metal performance but that's probably acceptable for my current needs.

However, my main concern with this are the practical aspects, namely in the additional complexity in starting/shutting down the system since it involves 2 steps - the host OS plus VBox+guestOS. The NUC is planned to be left unmanned at a remote site with non-tech staff, and I'm not confident that this would be the wise way to go.

My original intention with this post was to inquire if there was some way to run this NUC with the graphics hardware in some sort of 'legacy mode', e.g., via BIOS setting or magic keystroke a'la CTRL-ALT-F11-Q-SHIFT(!), so that older operating systems could use graphics, but I guess that doesn't seem possible.

--vick

• 6. Re: Can't install Ubuntu-12.04 on NUC5i7RYH
                    N.Scott.Pearson

Unfortunately, while it sounds simple, it definitely isn't. For the most part, providing for a "legacy mode" is just not in the cards. From one processor generation to another, some fairly drastic changes in the design of the hardware engine may be necessary to get the performance gains expected. While attempts are made to keep the hardware interfaces the same, this isn't always possible (and, more often, simply isn't practical). They rely on device drivers and software interfaces - such as Direct X - to abstract the hardware interface. For your situation, where it is the very availability of the applicable device drivers that is the issue, this isn't going to help.

...S

• 7. Re: Can't install Ubuntu-12.04 on NUC5i7RYH
                      vick

Thanks for following up on this Scott, and confirming that there's no trivial way of downgrading the graphics card.

Nonetheless, taking a different path, I did however manage to achieve the installation I was after, i.e., Ubuntu-12.04.5 on the NUC5i7RYH.

The original problem was that by booting off the 12.04.5-desktop.iso, it was impossible to proceed due to garbled graphics for the subsequent installation steps.

Instead, I booted off the 12.04.5-server.iso, which has a text-based/ncurses installation process, which was successful. Once this was done, I could log in to a terminal-based Ubuntu system. It was then possible to install a minimal GUI via 'sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop'. During this install process I suspect that the software probes the graphics hardware and configures itself accordingly (unlike the desktop ISO which has a pre-configured graphics setup). Rebooting then brought up Ubuntu-12.04 - in graphical mode!

Interestingly enough, I also had other hardware-related problems with the GRUB installation in the 12.04 server setup. It appears that the installer couldn't install GRUB for a /dev/nvme0n1 type disk (M.2). When I replaced this with a standard 2.5" SATA disk, everything installed fine fist-go.

Since my earlier test of installing Ubuntu-14.04 went flawlessly, I'm convinced that this is an obvious problem of running old software on new hardware (which I'll have to address eventually for my particular case).

--vick

• 8. Re: Can't install Ubuntu-12.04 on NUC5i7RYH
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

N. Scott Pearson, thank you for your assistance along this thread.

To: vick

Hello vick,

It is really appreciated all the information provided with the results of your test.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you require further assistance.

Regards,
                        Angie.