9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2016 12:04 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC5i7RYH Powering Up Problem

HeshamM

Power Problem: I have a NUC5i7RYH( 16GB RAM 2 slots, 250 SSD hard drive) for almost a year and it was working fine, i'm using it as a PC windows 10, Moderate usage not for long hours, no problems at all through out this year. today it won't turn on suddenly, the upper power led won't give any diagnostic pulses, i checked the internal power led also no response, i removed one RAM card from the slot also no response, i removed both also no response, i switched them together also no response. I checked the output of the power adaptor (FSI) and it was 19V, I also connect the adaptor to an power socket inlet with a fuse and I don't tend to leave the NUC connected to the electricity after i turn it off, so the adaptor is in a good working condition. The electronic board also in a good condition and looks clean no sign of any short circuit.  My question is what seams to be the problem here?, and what else do i need to check? thank you.

• 1. Re: NUC5i7RYH Powering Up Problem
          N.Scott.Pearson

Just to be sure I understand, when you press the power button, nothing happens? No blower spinning, no LEDs lighting, no nothing?

• 2. Re: NUC5i7RYH Powering Up Problem
            HeshamM

Nothing at all, not even the inner on-board power led,and the output of the fsp adapter is correct which is 19V. The last time i was using the NUC it was running very smoothly no sign of any trouble. One morning i tried turnung it on and there is nothing. As if it was dead

• 3. Re: NUC5i7RYH Powering Up Problem
              N.Scott.Pearson

Well, this being the case, I can think of three possibilities for what is wrong, (1) something has failed in the power adapter (it may no longer, for example, provide sufficient current or suffers too much voltage droop under load), (2) something plugged into the board (RAM, SSD(s), HDD, USB devices) has failed (unplug everything and see if it will power on then) or (3) something has failed on the board.

If you cannot trace it to something you've got plugged into the board - and since Intel does not replace the power adapter separately - items (1) and (3) are essentially the same, namely, you need to contact Intel Customer Support directly to discuss and RMA (start here: Contact Intel Customer Support)...

...S

• 4. Re: NUC5i7RYH Powering Up Problem
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson for the information posted previously.

To :

I just wanted to confirm the information posted above as correct, it seems to be a problem with the NUC itself.

As an option, if there is a PC repair store close to you, they might be able to test the NUC with a different power adapter just to make sure and rule out a possible problem with it.

Besides the option above, if you are interested in the replacement, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select NUC on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 5. Re: NUC5i7RYH Powering Up Problem
                  HeshamM

Well i tried all of that, i removed the SSD and the two RAM cards, still no power. But many thanks for the tips. However, I encountered an error lately "processor overheat trip" once, but that was once and it worked fine after that for a week; then the no power problem appeared as explained above, if the thermal paste was dry would it make that problem, knowing that the ambient temperature of the room is 25 c degrees(highest of the day), and i tend to use it mostly at night, for around 4 to 5 hours.

• 6. Re: NUC5i7RYH Powering Up Problem
                    HeshamM

Many thanks Alberto, i'll try to change the adapter, can i use any adapter with 19V output just for testing just to rule the adapter out?

• 7. Re: NUC5i7RYH Powering Up Problem
                      N.Scott.Pearson

No, I mean unplug everything - keyboard, mouse, DIMMs, SSD(s), HDD(s), everything! The only thing connected should be the power brick. With it like this, it should partially power up (including spinning the blower) and provide beep code (via flashes of power LED). If it works this way, start adding things back one at a time until the addition results in the system failing again. The last thing added would be the culprit.

I don't have much hope of this actually working, BTW. I am thinking it is RMA time...

...S

• 8. Re: NUC5i7RYH Powering Up Problem
                        HeshamM

I did all of that, I disconnected everything; still dead. Thanks anyway for the tips and the help, i think i will proceed with RMA i guess.

• 9. Re: NUC5i7RYH Powering Up Problem
                          Intel Corporation
                          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Yes, at this point to replace the NUC will be the next thing to do.

Please use the link posted above to get in contact with Intel directly to start the replacement process.

Regards

Alberto