Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Where can I find driver for Celeron M with Windows XP

idata
Employee

I need to activate an older laptop for internet access backup. I loaded on a licensed copy of Windows XP Pro but am having trouble getting the wireless button to activate. I assume I need a driver.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You first need to determine what the manufacturer is for the WiFi solution in this laptop (it certainly had nothing to do with the fact that the laptop has a Celeron M processor). This is often documented in the stickers on the bottom of the laptop. Once you know the manufacturer, you can then use their support website to locate the available drivers (presuming they still provide drivers for an O/S this old)...

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Scott.

I made a mistake in my original question. I meant to say Centrino instead of Celeron. Must have had a brain freeze! I've downloaded several versions of Intel Centrino drivers but still haven't found the right one. The other issue I am having is when I hook the laptop up to an ethernet connection I can only get certain webpages to open, such as Yahoo, com, MSN.com, but it will not open sites such as Google.com, Comcast.net, or Microsoft.com. I was wanting to open Microsoft.com to download Microsoft Essentials to use as virus protection. Any thoughts on why some webpages open, but other won't?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Which Centre no solution do you have?

Is this a fresh Windows 7 install? I have seen issues like this as a result of downriver versions of Internet Explorer. Either run Windows Update and install IE 11 or use a better browser like Chrome.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! That's what autocorrection did to Centrino...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TLPGS,

The last version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows XP* was 15.8.0 from May, 2013. You did not specify the model of your adapter, however, this should work for any Intel® Wireless Adapter that was supported in this OS version.

You can get the downloads at the following location:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22785/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-XP-?product=66889

Keep in mind that some systems deactivate the Wireless adapter if a Wired Connection is detected, so you may try disconnecting the Ethernet cable, also, check if the chassis of the laptop has a Hardware switch to disable the wireless device, this will prevent you from enabling WiFi in Windows* as well.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TLPGS,

We haven't seen any new messages about this. Please let us know in case you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos