1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 1:38 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems

David_Goodenough

The specifications for the STK1A32SC found here: Intel® Compute Stick STK1A32SC Specifications state that it has an Intel (R) Atom x5-Z8300.  I recently bought one of these compute sticks, and was initially having all sorts of problems installing drivers.  The penny finally dropped when I check My Computer / Properties, and saw that the CPU in the stick I have is an Intel (R) Atom x5-Z8330.

This doubtless explains the difficulties I've experienced trying to install drivers on my new stick.  I have Windows 8.1 Pro installed on it, and in particular, the SOC drivers found here: Download System-on-a-Chip (SOC) Driver Package for Intel® Compute Stick STK1A32SC and the Graphics drivers found here: Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 10/8.1 for Intel® Compute Stick STK1A32SC both fail to install.  Given that the CPU has changed from the original specification, this does not come as a surprise.

So where should I go to download the necessary drivers for a STK1A32SC that is built using the Intel (R) Atom x5-Z8330?

Thank you for any help that can be provided.

Message was edited by: David Goodenough - correcting download links

• 1. Re: CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems
          SanJM

Hi, the links you show are for the STK1AW32SC stick, 32 bits, Windows 10 home.

Look here: Downloads for Intel® Compute Stick STK1A32SC for the windows 8 drivers.

What I learned is that you need to install in this order, SOC, TXEI, GFX (display), bluetooth and wifi

Hope it helps

• 2. Re: CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems
            David_Goodenough

My mistake.  I'd actually downloaded the files from the page you've specified, when composing my original post I must have mistakenly linked to the STK1AW32SC page.

That said, the page you linked to sends me to here for the SOC drivers: Download System-on-a-Chip (SOC) Driver Package for Intel® Compute Stick STK1A32SC and to here for the Graphics drivers: Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 10/8.1 for Intel® Compute Stick STK1A32SC which is regretfully when I originally downloaded the failing drivers from.

As noted in my original post, there appears to have been a hardware upgrade in the STK1A32SC from the x5-Z8300 to the x5-Z8330 CPU, without a corresponding upgrade of the drivers.  That is the root cause of the problem, I need to find the new drivers for the upgraded STK1A32SC rather than the original ones for the earlier model.

• 3. Re: CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems
              SanJM

I have the same Z8330 CPU like you but running Windows 10, 32 bits.

Clean installed it to W10 1607 and no driver install issues, only issue I have that HDMI output in most cases is not there when I start the stick after several hours off. But had that already with the stock version with W10 installed , don't know if thats related also to the Z8330 CPU and bios/ drivers that only ment to be or not for the Z8300.

During my tests I can recall that I also had one time the problem that the SOC driver was refused to install.

With Media Creation Tool from Microsoft you can select the only 32 bits, 64 bits or the combined 32/64 bits version.

When I used the combined 32/64 bits version and selected the 64 bits during install proces I had your issue.

When I installed the seperate 32 or 64 bits version, so no selection to be made to install 32 or 64 bits version, both versions where able to install all the drivers from Intel.

Don't ask me why....and need to install SOC and then TXEI drivers first otherwise the graphical driver GFX will not install.

Because you use Windows 8, I can't say if this is your issue.

BTW 32 bits run much better in matter of graphical perfomance and more responsive, PRO version I think give even more drag because of more unused processes running on background.

• 4. Re: CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello David_Goodenough ,

This drivers should be the same for these processors, this is the same series Intel® Atom™ x5 Processor Series, make sure you install the install the TXEI driver if you are going to install the System-on-a-Chip (SOC) Driver Package for Intel® Compute Stick STK1A32SC, make sure you install the SOC first.

Note: Windows 8.1 32-bit is not supported with this driver.

You can also run the Intel® Driver Update Utility to download the correct drivers.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 5. Re: CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems
                  David_Goodenough

Ivan,

Thank you for responding.  I have already downloaded the driver files from the link you provided here:  Download System-on-a-Chip (SOC) Driver Package for Intel® Compute Stick STK1A32SC and as outlined in my original message: these drivers do not install correctly on my device.  In addition, I tried the Intel® Driver Update Utility you linked to, that did nothing other than download the SC_Win8.1_64_Drivers_07252016.zip file accessible from the first link.

I checked the compatibility page here Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Compute Stick prior to purchasing this, since it is my intention to install Windows 8.1 64 bit on it.

For what it's worth, checking the error log from the SOC driver install it fails on the first entry listed in the config.xml file: MBI.inf.  The most likely cause of this is that MBI.inf references a device with the following hardware ID, see line 41 of the file for details:

%MBI.DeviceDesc%=MBI_Device, ACPI\VEN_INT&DEV_33BD&REV_0002

yet there is no such device visible in this system when I study the contents of HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum.

• 6. Re: CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems
                    N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, the SIO and TXE packages are for *all* CherryTrail-T processors; it has nothing to do with x5-Z8300 vs. x5-Z8330 -- but be glad you have the x5-Z8330; it's a [albeit only slightly] better-performing processor.

Second, I can also attest that the packages for Win10 x86 will install properly. I am not leaning towards this being a Win8.1 vs. Win10 issue, however.

cvare - My gut is telling me that the issue is likely in the O/S selection (i.e. x86 vs. x64) feature in the BIOS. Based upon other inputs, there is likely a difference in the devices exposed when one or the other is chosen. This needs to go back to the BIOS team for assessment...

...S

• 7. Re: CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems
                      cvare

Scott, I have enough work to do!  Stop giving me more!

Let me try it myself and see what I find. 

• 8. Re: CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems
                        N.Scott.Pearson

Hey, it's why they pay you the big bucks. I am here doing it for free...

• 9. Re: CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems
                          cvare

Ha!

Daivid, I tried it on my Compute Stick and you are correct it does not install.  Escalating this one, will let you know!

• 10. Re: CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems
                            Intel Corporation
                            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you cvare for trying that for us, we really appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

• 12. Re: CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems
                              David_Goodenough

Glad to hear I am not losing my sanity.

That said, is this the SOC drivers, the Graphics drivers or both?

SOC divers failed for me trying to install MBI.inf, the error appears to be caused by the fact that HKLM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM doesn't have an appropriate entry for the hardware ID in the inf file.

In a similar vein, the Graphics drivers failed claiming I didn't meet the minimum system requirements.  That goes hand in hand with the following data points:

The graphics display doesn't look right, it's 1920 x 1080, but on the monitor I have attached (a Samsung 1080p device), all I can describe it as is it's like the actual monitor is looking at a slightly smaller subsection of the entire screen.  Imagine what you'd see if you stuck a half inch wide strip of masking tape on all four edges of your monitor.  That said, the whole frame buffer is there, if I install TightVNC and attach a client, I can see the entire 1920*1080 framebuffer on the client.  The monitor is known good since I'm using it just fine via DVI for my main desktop machine.

In addition, Right click on desktop/Screen Resolution/Advanced Settings/Adapter Tab describes it as Microsoft Basic Display Driver, and when I look in Device Manager, there's no entry anywhere for the display adapter.  As noted upthread, with a Z8330 CPU I'd have expected to have seen exactly one of VEN_8086&DEV_22B[0123] somewhere in HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI, but there's no sign of those.

If I didn't know better, I'd say that the display adapter and a few other devices are failing to correctly enumerate when the system is coming up.  This is happening *really* early on, because if I hit F2 during boot, I get into the BIOS settings screen, which suffers the same display corruption as the normal Windows desktop.

• 13. Re: CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems
                                cvare

Ha!  I have to say that nearly everday!

Wow, quite the response, sounds like you know what's going on "under the hood". 

I would imagine most of those issues would be fixed with a GFX driver that worked.

Don't worry, i'm not giving up on you, but can I ask why Win 8.1 instead of Win 10?  Just curious.

• 14. Re: CPU change in STK1A32SC causing driver problems
                                  David_Goodenough

As to why Windows 8.1 rather than Windows 10, that's due more to the 32/64 bit issue.  Despite the relatively lightweight resources on the x5-Z8330, I still have a couple of apps that I will be running on it that are only available as 64 bit.  Hence that mandates a 64 bit OS.  Since the only pre-installed version of Windows offered is 32 bit, I need to install my own OS.  As to why Windows 8.1 64 bit rather than Windows 10 64 Bit, that's due to the fact that when Windows 10 was released last year, a local computer store sold their remaining stock of Windows 8.1 boxes for bargain basement prices.  I got several copies, with the intent of installing them when I do desktop upgrades (I build my own systems), or in this case when setting up a no-OS compute stick.

If Intel offered the STK1A32SC with Windows 10 64 bit pre-installed, I'd have bought one in a heartbeat, but unfortunately that's not an option.

Now, moving on to how to fix this.  I am not 100% convinced that in my case a driver upgrade will fix things, because at the current time, I don't see any devices listed in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI that match any known Intel graphics devices.  According to this table found on Wikipedia: List of Intel graphics processing units - Wikipedia the HD 400 in the x5-Z8330 is an eighth generation device, which they claim should have a device ID of DEV_22B0, DEV_22B1, DEV_22B2 or DEV_22B3.  I'm not 100% certain about the second pair, because when looking at the INF file in the graphics install package, i.e. ...\GFX_Win8.1_64_15.40.12.4474\Graphics\igdlh64.inf I see the following two lines:

%iCHVGM0%  = iCHVM_w81, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22B0
                                  %iCHVGM1%  = iCHVM_w81, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22B1

as lines 219 and 220 of the file.  These match the first two from the Wikipedia page.

The problem I'm having is that whatever graphics device is in this compute stick is not enumerating, there is no entry for it in the registry.

If there isn't an entry in the registry, then no amount of driver work will fix things, because Windows Plug and Play will have no idea what to do with the driver.  PnP works by matching entries in HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Enum with entries in the inf file.

1 2 Previous Next