9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 7:55 AM by Intel Corporation

USB performance with X1000

marc@esd-electronics

Hi everyone,

for a new project we need a CPU with maximum USB Datarate / we need to copy two USB Memory Devices - 8GByte each to an Ethernet interface (GB Ethernet connected to PCIe) in minimum time. Are there any benchmarks available? Has anyone experiance with USB on Galileo? Can anyone do a quick test (copy a big file of 8GB size to /dev/null, measure time) - my gratitude would chace you eternal ;-)

Thanks Marc

• 1. Re: USB performance with X1000
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Marc,

Thank you for contacting us. I haven’t tested the Galileo’s data transfer but we’ll be happy to run the test for you. Just to make sure I understand your request correctly, you want to transfer a big file ~8GB from an external USB to /dev/null and measure the time it takes for it to be completed, right?

I’ll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio

• 2. Re: USB performance with X1000
            marc@esd-electronics

Hi Sergio,

yes - you are right. Transfer a big file to /dev/null and measure the time.

Later on the data has to be transfered to the network but I expect that the 100MBit Interface is to slow. At least I have to reach a datarate of about 17 to 20 Mbyte per second. So if we overcome this hurdle in the first step I will get me a Galileo Board and a mPCIe GB Ethernet card and do the further test on my own.

Thanks in advance - Marc

• 3. Re: USB performance with X1000
              Intel Corporation

Hi Marc,

I tried to run the test and did several attempts but was unsuccessful. I tried moving both directories and files to the /dev/null folder and each time the result was mv: write error: No space left on device. I did some research on the /dev/null directory and it is in fact not a directory but a file. It was also explained that you can’t actually move things to /dev/null. How did you perform this test on different systems, were you successful when moving files to /dev/null?

I’ll be waiting for your response

-Sergio

• 4. Re: USB performance with X1000
                FGT

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hi Marc,

I tried to run the test and did several attempts but was unsuccessful. I tried moving both directories and files to the /dev/null folder and each time the result was mv: write error: No space left on device. I did some research on the /dev/null directory and it is in fact not a directory but a file. It was also explained that you can’t actually move things to /dev/null. How did you perform this test on different systems, were you successful when moving files to /dev/null?

I’ll be waiting for your response

-Sergio

Hi Sergio,

What's the actual program/command you are trying to run?

Fernando.

• 5. Re: USB performance with X1000
                  Intel Corporation

Hi FGT,

To run the test I used both the mv and cp commands. I tried to move folders and files to /dev/null. The syntax I used was cp folder_or_file_name /dev/null and mv folder_or_file_name /dev/null. The contents were transferred from a USB drive. Have you moved files to /dev/null? If you have information about this, feel free to share it with the community.

-Sergio

• 6. Re: USB performance with X1000
                    FGT

Hi Sergio,

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hi FGT,

To run the test I used both the mv and cp commands. I tried to move folders and files to /dev/null. The syntax I used was cp folder_or_file_name /dev/null and mv folder_or_file_name /dev/null. The contents were transferred from a USB drive. Have you moved files to /dev/null? If you have information about this, feel free to share it with the community.

-Sergio9

I've only used /dev/null to discard command output (usually verbosity and/or uneeded terminal output). Thus, I've never used cp or mv to /dev/null (it does not make practical sense, except for cases as the one requested by Marc).

I've tested in Galileo, and it is possible only to cp single files to /dev/null, I'll send my experiments as a reply to Marc, just in case they are useful.

Fernando.

• 7. Re: USB performance with X1000
                      FGT

Hi Marc,

My experiment: I think a 1.4 GByte file could provide a "good" insight in USB read performance, so I used a 4.0GB USB thumbdrive (actually, the one I had at hand...), connected to an USB OTG via the Intel Galileo USB host (where it's recognized as /dev/sda).

root@galileo:~# cd /mnt/

root@galileo:/mnt# mkdir usbdrive

root@galileo:/mnt# mount /dev/sda usbdrive/

root@galileo:/mnt# ls -lh usbdrive/

total 1.4G

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1.4G Jun  1  2016 file.bin

root@galileo:/mnt# date; cp usbdrive/file.bin /dev/null; date; umount /dev/sda; date

Thu May 12 15:13:25 UTC 2016

Thu May 12 15:15:06 UTC 2016

Thu May 12 15:15:06 UTC 2016

i.e. about 1.4GB in about 101 seconds.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 8. Re: USB performance with X1000
                        marc@esd-electronics

Hi Sergio, hi Fernando,

sorry - the community server was not reachable for me yesterday -so my answer is late. The command we used in the end is:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=512 count=204800

14MByte/sec is in the range I have expected - so I think now is up to me to get me a Galileo and do the further test.

Many Thanks to you - Marc

• 9. Re: USB performance with X1000
                          Intel Corporation

Hi,

@Fernando-Thanks again for all your help and remaining involved in the community!

@Marc-Thank you for confirming you got the information you needed. Feel free to ask again in case you need further assistance.

-Sergio