6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2010 6:02 PM by kingarthur

D975XBX2 and 8GB ram

kingarthur

I currently have a BadAxe2 board coupled with a QX6700 CPU. Running Windows 7 ultimate.

I tried to upgrade the ram to 8gb from 4gb and Windows will not load. I have 4 x 2gb chips from Kingston KVR800D2N5/2G. I know these specific chips haven't been tested but the Kingston KVR800D2N5/1G are on the Intel tested memory for my board.

I am running the latest BIOS from intel.

If I remove 2 sticks of ram, the computer boots fine and performs as expected. With all 4 sticks, system will post and report 8gb ram, windows starts to boot, I see the Starting Windows screen and it just hangs there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: D975XBX2 and 8GB ram
          kingarthur

Anyone?

There must be at least 1 other person with the same issue...

• 2. Re: D975XBX2 and 8GB ram
            GasPipeJimmy

Use your yellow jumper on the motherboard and reset your board to default settings.

Remove your RAM and look at it. Are they all the SAME revision number, voltage and timing? If not, then group them into sets of two that are matching. I assume you bought these in factory matched sets of two and not individually.

They really should all be exactly the same.

If you bought your RAM individually and no two of them share the exact same timing, voltage and revision numbers, then you should sell them all and get a proper matching 8GB RAM kit from the factory.

If you do have two sets of EXACTLY matching RAM, then use one group of matching ram and populate the blue ram slots and the put rest of the RAM in the black slots and attempt to boot.

If that does not work, then switch the two ram sticks in the black slots with one another and try to boot again.

If that fails, then remove the RAM from the black slots and boot into your BIOS and raise the voltage on ALL your RAM from 1.8v to 1.9v and set your timings to match your highest latency (ex: 5-5-5-18 or 6-6-6-18), save your BIOS settings (F10) and shut down.

Try your RAM sticks in the black slots again.

If that fails to correctly boot, then switch the RAM modules in the black slots around and try again.

If all of these procedures are unsuccessful, then you truly have incompatible or improperly functioning RAM and you will have to either run at 4GB with the RAM you have, or obtain compatible AND matching RAM.

• 3. Re: D975XBX2 and 8GB ram
              kingarthur

Sorry for the long delay, haven't had time to play around with the PC.

I finally tried configuring the ram as you suggested. Still no go.

I have upped the voltage to 1.96 in .04 increments and all failed to boot the Windows 7 correctly.

As mentionned before, the BIOS sees all 4 sticks of RAM.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks    

• 4. Re: D975XBX2 and 8GB ram
                Diego_Intel

Is the system locking up on the system BIOS when all 8 Gbs of memory are installed?

Furthermore, you may try updating the Service pack of the operating system you are using or testing another operating system image

• 5. Re: D975XBX2 and 8GB ram
                  kingarthur

The system is not locking up at all in the BIOS.

Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 is not out yet, so I guess I will have to wait for it to do more testing.

I might have a spare HDD that I could use to load XP 64bit and test.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• 6. Re: D975XBX2 and 8GB ram
                    kingarthur

It appears that my motherboard is defective. When populating the 1st black slot only, the system will not post.

I can have 3 sticks in the system working correctly.

Thank you everyone for your help