2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2016 12:00 PM by allan_intel Branched to a new discussion.

Intel SSDPEKKW256G7 NVMe SSD causing Power Surge warning on NUC5i3RYH with Windows 10

newnerd

I recently installed an  256GIntel SSDPEKKW256G7B m.2 NVMe PCIe SSD in my NUC5i3RYH PC and then installed a 64-bit UEFI version of Windows 10 Pro.  Since Windows 10 has built-in drivers for NVMe PCIe ssds I didn't need an Intel driver.   The SSD is working and the PC is VERY fast.  However,  I am getting occasional Power Surge warnings saying: " Unknown usb device needs more power than the port can supply".  This is occurring with only a Microsoft wireless Mouse/Keyboard receiver plugged into any of the 4 USB 3.0 ports. 

I have tried using wired mouse and keyboard instead of wireless....same warning.  I have uninstalled the USB drivers in device manager and re-started so the Windows 10 drivers will re-install...no help.  I have uninstalled the Windows 10 usb drivers and installed the latest USB 3.0 drivers from Intel....no help.   The warning pops up 2 or 3 times then quits popping up and then later comes back.

All of the USB ports continue to work.

I never had this Power Surge warning with a SATA m.2 ssd using either Windows 7 Pro or Windows 10 Pro operating system.  This is making me wonder if the new m.2 NVMe PCIe ssd drivers could be faulty and causing the warning message or perhaps the m.2 ssd IS drawing too much power.   The Intel m.2 NVMe ssd is supposed to be approved for use on the NUC5i3RYH but it is kinda new technology and perhaps Intel needs to issue their own driver for the SSD6 series NVMe m.2 ssds?  The other manufacturers do have their own customized NVMe drivers.

I am not sure the SSD could be causing the USB Power surge warning or if that is  not possible.  It just seemed like USB drivers handle storage devices and somehow could be related to PCIe ssds?  I have attached  screen clips of SSD benchmarks for both the SATA and NVMe PCIe m.2 ssds.  I could go back to the SATA m.2 ssd but as the benchmarks show,  I enjoy much faster performance with the NVMe PCIe m.2 ssd.

Anyone have any suggestions about the Power Surge warnings and whether I am risking damaging the PC by continuing to use the NVMe PCIe ssd?