6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 2:11 PM by Intel Corporation

D54250WYKH the WD HDD has disappeared today

zipppy

Noticed the other day I could hear the disc turning more loudly than usual but everything has been all OK etc. Today I went to open Turbo Lister to do some listings on Ebay via the shortcut and noticed after reading the error message that my D drive is nowhere to be seen. Is there anything I can do to get everthing back? Is this the end of the HDD?? Normally we back up on external HDDs but have not had time due to family loss this year. Has anyone else had this problem?

• 1. Re: D54250WYKH the WD HDD has disappeared today
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello zippy:

In regard to the problem with the hard drive, did you try to disconnect it and re-connect it to the NUC?

This problem could be related to the cable, do you have another hard drive that you can connect on the NUC just to rule out that option.

And to answer your question, if the hard drive is not working anymore there is no option to recover the data on it, but as an option you can always try to connect it to a different NUC if it possible the same model or to a different board, in order to verify if a back up can be done.

If the problem is related to the NUC, then if you replace it for the same model, then you should be able to boot from that hard drive and recover the information.

Please let me know the results of trying the steps above, because we can always replace the SATA cable or the NUC itself, it has 3 years of warranty.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: D54250WYKH the WD HDD has disappeared today
            N.Scott.Pearson

My suggestion would be to hook this drive on another computer and see if it can be accessed there. I use a device like this to temporarily attach drives: Amazon.com: iDsonix USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive Docking Station. If you can read the drive this way, great, I would then get everything copied off of it as quickly as you can.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. I will warn you, I have had drives fail in this (abrupt) manner before (though not a 2.5" drive and not on a NUC) and I was only able to get data off the failed drive once (and that was a hack using the circuit board from another drive).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: D54250WYKH the WD HDD has disappeared today
              N.Scott.Pearson

I forgot to mention: There are companies that specialize in recovering data off failed hard drives. This can be an expensive proposition. I would check whether the drive manufacturer will help (is your drive still under warranty)?

• 4. Re: D54250WYKH the WD HDD has disappeared today
                zipppy

Many thanks for your advice. However, today when I powered on the NUC like magic D Drive had reappeared!! So I quickly did a full backup and will keep an eye on it and keep your link for the HD docking station. Have just re-powered NUC again, and it's still there so hoping it was a once off anomaly.

Cheers xxx

• 5. Re: D54250WYKH the WD HDD has disappeared today
                  zipppy

Please see my reply to N. Scott Pearson.

All is good but thankyou to you both for your help and I'll keep a copy of it all (not on the WD HDD though!) in case it re-occurs.

Cheers

• 6. Re: D54250WYKH the WD HDD has disappeared today
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello zippy:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the hard drive is working again and you were able to do a back up on it to save the information.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto