8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2016 2:29 AM by Cesar Badilla

Jbod with S3420GPLC on board raid?

UNIXguy

I have a client running Windows Server 2008 on an S3420GPLC system board with two 150G WD Raptor drives in RAID1

using the embedded RAID controller setting in BIOS. .

The client is running ACT 2012 CRM and lately the performance is very slow.

I'd like to add an SSD drive to the system so that it comes up as D:  and is not a part of any RAID. I plan to move the ACT

indices folder (contains index files for the ACT application running SQL server express 2008)  to the SSD D: drive to try to improve ACT performance.

Can I connect the SSD to the on-board controller and get this working?  If not, what do I need to add SSD connection via PCI slot?

• 1. Re: Jbod with S3420GPLC on board raid?
          Gize2

If the RAID is set up as Intel Matrix / Rapid Storage Technology, the SSD should be seen without any intervention.

If the RAID is set up as Intel ESRT2, you have to go into the ESRT2 Option ROM and set the SSD as a RAID 0 in order for it to be seen (single drive).

Both of the above assume that the SSD you're using is compatible with 3Gbps SATA.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Jbod with S3420GPLC on board raid?
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Steve,

Yes, you should be able to add the SSD to the on-board controller of your Intel® S3420GPLC.

However, since it is being added to the RAID controller, you only need to configure the SSD as a single drive RAID 0.

You could get more information from http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000007554.html

Best regards,
            Caesar B.

• 3. Re: Jbod with S3420GPLC on board raid?
              UNIXguy

Here is the confusion: The BIOS is set to ESRT2 but the Server 2008 device info identifies the disk as MegaSR. This is a production

server and I can't experiment on it. The system was built and delivered Sept 2011 with Windows server 2008 R2 standard installed.

I simply powered it on and completed the licensing. I did not set the BIOS and had no reason to change it.

Can I (should I) switch the BIOS to Matrix RAID without causing problems?

esrt2_IMG_3090.jpg

BIOS Splash ScreenIMG_3104.jpg

device_manager.jpg

The Windows 2008 server driver details:

driver_detail_for_installed_driver.jpg

I have installed the Intel RAID Web Console and tried to run consistency check with the following result. I don't want to initialize the array

as that will erase all data and force me to restore the disk from a backup. Can I safely ignore the error and press continue on the

consistency check?

Raid_consistancy.jpg

• 4. Re: Jbod with S3420GPLC on board raid?
                Gize2

UNIXguy wrote:

Here is the confusion: The BIOS is set to ESRT2 but the Server 2008 device info identifies the disk as MegaSR.

Intel ESRT2 is LSI / Avago based (MegaSR), the driver and firmware are developed by LSI / Avago and verified by Intel afaik.  So, MegaSR is correct.

UNIXguy wrote:

Can I (should I) switch the BIOS to Matrix RAID without causing problems?

No and no, unless you want to reinstall everything.  Intel Matrix RAID uses a different driver / OpROM combination, so it's not compatible with ESRT2 arrays.

UNIXguy wrote:

I have installed the Intel RAID Web Console and tried to run consistency check with the following result. I don't want to initialize the array

as that will erase all data and force me to restore the disk from a backup. Can I safely ignore the error and press continue on the

consistency check?

I think the initialization happens on its own in the background eventually (BGI).  I'd check the user guide on that:  http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/d29305023_raid_swug_r23_5.pdf

There's also a guide for the ESRT2 OpROM:  http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/ESRT2_Software_UG.pdf

• 5. Re: Jbod with S3420GPLC on board raid?
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Please us know if you were able to add the SSD to the on-board controller of your Intel® S3420GPLC and configure it as a single drive RAID 0.

Regards,

Caesar B.

• 6. Re: Jbod with S3420GPLC on board raid?
                    Cesar Badilla

Gize2

Were you able to add the SSD to the on-board controller by configuring it as a Single RAID 0 Drive?

• 7. Re: Jbod with S3420GPLC on board raid?
                      UNIXguy

In a word yes.   Long story:   The client's Windows 2008 server was corrupted (Remote Desktop License Server fails for no licenses and SQL 2008 Server Express won't start) by power loss due to  failed UPS battery (UPS non-monitored). I was forced to restore from a full system backup. The problem was the only two backup archives failed verify with the message: Byte-for-Byte failure at LBA 72732388 offset 0 (11/18/16) and Byte-for-Byte failure at LBA 4883644 offset 0 (11/17/16). So I was reluctant to restore to the RAID1 array.

I pulled the two RAID1 array members and connected the SSD as a single drive and switched the SATA controller from RAID to AHCI because the WinPE boot CD I created when the system was installed did not have the Windows 2008 server MegaSR RAID drivers and would not "see" the RAID1 array. I restored the 11/18 archive to the SSD drive and then Windows Server 2008 would not boot, apparently because Server 2008 does not allow you to switch the Hard disk controller on the fly (did not auto detect the AHCI connected SSD).

I set the BIOS back to ESRT2 and entered the RAID configuration utility on boot up. It took many attempts to set the single drive as RAID0 as I had to fumble my way through the setup. Finally with the single SSD running as RAID0, Windows Server 2008 booted ok. I installed the latest update for Image For Windows and built a new WinPE CD with the MegaSR RAID drivers.  I was then able to remove the single SSD RAID0, connect the two RAID1 disks, boot the RAID configuration utility and Initialize the RAID1 array, boot the new WinPE CD and restored the 11/18 archive. I re-installed the IFW version upgrade and performed the steps to re-create the WinPE recovery disk on the restored server.

Since my original posting, we have determined that adding the SSD to try to improve ACT 2012 Premium will not fix the performance issues. The error messages for the LBA Byte-to-Byte verify failures may have resulted in restoring damaged files but that has not become apparent at this time. The IFW 2.99 version backup reports do not have the LBA verify errors. Since this is a production server, I put it back in service as is and with the owner's permission will perform a test of the system running on the single RAID0 SSD drive some time after the Christmas rush is over.

• 8. Re: Jbod with S3420GPLC on board raid?
                        Cesar Badilla

Hello UNIXguy

We are glad to hear you were able to add the SSD as a Single Drive RAID 0 to your S3420GPLC 

Please test your newly rebuild RAID 1 array with the SSD configuration and let us know of the results.

Additionally, let us know if you have any questions related to this RAID configuration.

Best regards,

Caesar B.