12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2017 9:10 AM by Bazsi77

NUC5i5ryh wakes up immediately after shutting down/suspend

Bazsi77

My NUC started to act strangely after I upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04. But now it exhibits this behaviour even if the OS is not yet booted.

This is what happens:

• at the initial connection to the power, it remains turned on
      • if I turn it off via its power button, _before_ booting into the OS, it turns back on
      • if I let the OS boot (ubuntu xenial), shutting it down from the menu/shutdown command causes it to turn back on
      • if I suspend from the OS the same thing happens.

I went through all settings, disabled Wake On LAN|USB whatever, still the same. I've now upgraded the BIOS to  RYBDWi35.86A.0359.2016.0906.1028, still the same.

I was disabling acpi wakeup sources through /proc/acpi/wakeup, didn't help.

There's no sign of the wakeup reason either in the dmesg log, nor in dmidecode. No sign in the BIOS event log.

I am stuck. I've already did a CMOS reset, basically everything I could think of.

It is driving me crazy, as I have to manually unplug the box after every boot, frustrating.

Anyone knows how this could be troubleshooted? Any other idea?

Thanks

• 1. Re: NUC5i5ryh wakes up immediately after shutting down/suspend
          Bazsi77

Just one note, as I had a typo there, at the initial connection to the power it remains turned off.

• 2. Re: NUC5i5ryh wakes up immediately after shutting down/suspend
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

I will be more than glad to assist you with your current concern.

I have sent a private message, please check your Inbox. 

Regards,

Allan.

• 3. Re: NUC5i5ryh wakes up immediately after shutting down/suspend
              Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information you have provided privately. 

In order to try to isolate this issue, please fill out the requested information. 

Problem description:
              •Exact symptoms; error messages; steps leading up to the failure.
              •Attach screen shots.
              •System usage model:
              •General desktop or HTPC
              •If embedded, explain the ecosystem in detail. Provide block diagram.
              •When did the failure occur?

NUC model:
              AA# or SA#:
              Serial number(s):

BIOS version:  
              Operating system:

Other hardware:
              •Memory (make/model/size/speed):
              •SSD (make/model/size):
              •USB devices:
              •Other devices:

Thank you for your patience and understanding. I am trying to gather as much information as possible to help on this matter. 

Allan. 

• 4. Re: NUC5i5ryh wakes up immediately after shutting down/suspend
                Intel Corporation

Were you able to get all requested information?

Allan.

• 5. Re: NUC5i5ryh wakes up immediately after shutting down/suspend
                  Bazsi77

Problem description:

•Exact symptoms; error messages; steps leading up to the failure: no error message, I turn the box off (using the power switch), or from the menu and it powers back on after a few seconds. The same with suspend, it goes to sleep properly, then after a few seconds it comes back. Sometimes, the first suspend succeeds and remains asleep, but right after the wakeup, the next suspend already exhibits the behavior. Also, the same thing happens if I turn the box off while booting, even before the boot loader (which is grub2 in my case).

•Attach screen shots: n/a

•System usage model: don't know

•General desktop or HTPC: I am using a stock Desktop ubuntu, but it serves HTPC purposes.

•If embedded, explain the ecosystem in detail. Provide block diagram: none, the box is on its own, HDMI, power and an USB keyboard attached.

•When did the failure occur? always

NUC model:

AA# or SA#:

Serial number(s):

BIOS version: 

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes

Base Board Information

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Product Name: NUC5i5RYB

Version: H40999-502

Serial Number: GERY5050031V

Asset Tag:                                 

Features:

Board is a hosting board

Board is replaceable

Location In Chassis: To be filled by O.E.M.

Chassis Handle: 0x0003

Type: Motherboard

Contained Object Handles: 0

Operating system:

I am running Ubuntu xenial, 16.04. I've tried multiple kernels, originally the one that came with ubuntu. 4.4.0-47.68. Right now I am running as I was experimenting with upstream kernels whether they would resolve the situation:

$ uname -a

Linux nuc 4.8.3-040803-generic #201610200531 SMP Thu Oct 20 09:33:01 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Other hardware:

•Memory (make/model/size/speed): 8GB, SO-DDR3, low voltage 1.35

•SSD (make/model/size): sandisk x300s, m.2, 64GB

•USB devices: logitech mk320 mouse+keyboard combo

•Other devices: hdmi attached TV

The box did work for a year and a half. This started when I upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04, but going back to the older kernel didn't help. Also it exhibits the problem even if it's not yet booted into the OS. I would love to know if there's any tool (in the bios or anywhere), which would report the reason for the wakeup. Is there something?

Thanks again for looking into this.

Cheers,

• 6. Re: NUC5i5ryh wakes up immediately after shutting down/suspend
                    Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information. I have forwarded this information to the appropriate team. This thread will be updated as soon as possible.

Allan.

• 7. Re: NUC5i5ryh wakes up immediately after shutting down/suspend
                      Bazsi77

Thanks. Any tool that can indicate the wakeup reason would be helpful. (dmi, acpi, EFI,kernel interface or BIOS)

• 8. Re: NUC5i5ryh wakes up immediately after shutting down/suspend
                        rguevara

Hi Bazsi77,

This issue appears to be a bug in multiple Linux Distributions and not necessarily associated with the NUC in this case, I see similar reports on very different platforms.

Please see for instance the following URL: Ubuntu 16.04 hangs on shutdown/restart - Ask Ubuntu

There is a workaround suggested. Can you please look at it and see if this correspondents to the issue that you are reporting.

I hope this helps,

Ronny G

• 9. Re: NUC5i5ryh wakes up immediately after shutting down/suspend
                          Intel Corporation

Hi,

I was wondering if you were you able to check the information on the Ubuntu forums?

Allan.

• 10. Re: NUC5i5ryh wakes up immediately after shutting down/suspend
                            Bazsi77

I wrote this in the public thread just now:

Like I wrote a few weeks ago, the issue has resolved itself, but then a few days ago it started again, right after I installed a hard drive and and installed Windows on it.

Now it again has issues staying asleep.

I can confirm It is NOT related to the OS. 

After the initial poweron, neither "shutdown" nor "suspend" works. After a few seconds, it wakes up. It even restarts if I use the power button manually.  I have to disconnect the power cable every time I want to turn it off. Obviously sleep is completely unusable this way.

Additionally, when in Windows, the "sleep" function does not work. It doesn't go to sleep at all, just locks the screen.

The strange thing is that at the last time I've tried to fix this, I've tried everything, reset BIOS, remove the CMOS battery, everything. And it magically started to work after a while (probably not related to any of my actions).

I am completely lost how this could be diagnosed.

Please help.

• 11. Re: NUC5i5ryh wakes up immediately after shutting down/suspend
                              Intel Corporation

This problem seemed to be identified as an operating system issue. My suggestion would be checking this information with different peers at Ubuntu Forums

Allan.

• 12. Re: NUC5i5ryh wakes up immediately after shutting down/suspend
                                Bazsi77

Like I said, this is independent from Ubuntu and happens even if I shutdown from windows7, even if Ubuntu has not booted since the same powercycle.