1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2016 10:42 AM by NovHak

How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?

NovHak

Dear forum readers and contributors,

I've started playing Crysis Warhead on my laptop recently and noticed the game always choosing a 40 Hz mode while in fullscreen instead of the usual 60 Hz. While the Cryengine is the one to blame on this issue, it certainly would not happen if there were no 40 Hz modes available, that's why I want to do this as a workaround.

I'm aware of the borderless windowed solution which I tried already, but I have some issues with it, such as the pointer shifted one millimeter or so above the pointed area, and the game window being completely black when the game starts. I have to go fullscreen then back to windowed to gain an image. That's why I'm sticking to a true fullscreen with the 1920x1080@60 display mode.

Is there any way to do this, even temporarily ? Removing only my native resolution (1920x1080@40) would do the trick too. If there are shim-based solutions forcing the game to go 1920x1080@60, that's OK as well. I have Optimus and an Nvidia GTX 880M.

Thanks for your insights,

• 1. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello NovHak:

In order to better assist you, we just need to gather the following information:

What is the model of the laptop?

What is the model of the processor?

Which Windows version are you using?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
            NovHak

Hi Alberto, thanks for your reply.

Additional specification follows :

Laptop model : Clevo P170SM-A

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

Here's a link to the manual in case it may be useful. Annex D (page 394) contains some more details for my model (model E in the manual). Of course, I'm still available for more questions !

• 3. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
              Intel Corporation

Hello NovHak:

Thank you very much for that information.

In regard to your question, the option to remove the 40Hz value is not available.

Did you try to change the hertz on Windows?

Right-click on Desktop and click on Display Settings
              Go to Advanced display settings
              Under Related settings, go to Display adapter properties
              Go to Monitor tab and select another refresh rate from Screen refresh rate:
              Click OK

Alberto

• 4. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
                NovHak

Hi Alberto,

This option is already set to 60 Hz and it has always been so. Usually there are no problems, games running in full screen always choose 60 Hz, except for Crysis Warhead. That's why I want to be able to remove non 60 Hz display modes. It's annoying to learn that's not possible at the moment... I've read somewhere else on this forum that there's a high demand for a monitor EDID override feature to be included in the driver, I hope it will become achievable this way !

• 5. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
                  Intel Corporation

Hello NovHak:

Thank you very much for that information.

At this point we can always try to replicate the issue, since it is happening just with one game.

In order for us to be able to do that we need the following information, please fill the chart with as much details as you can:

CategoryQuestionsAnswers (N/A if not applicable)
                  DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issue 
                  Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")Always (100%):
                     Often (51-99%):
                     Sporadic (20-50%):
                     Very Sporadic (<20%):
                  Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system. 
                  Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                     ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                     LFP
                  = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                     EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below). 
                  Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                     ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below). 
                  Software (SW)Operating System version (see note2 below). 
                  VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”. 
                  Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below). 
                  SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue. 
                  ConfigurationsSingle display, clone, or extended (see note2 below). 
                  Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below). 
                  AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not? 
                  How to reproPlease provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                     A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

Right click anywhere on the desktop and look for the option: Intel® HD Graphics control panel, once you open that, choose "options and support", then select "information center", and then choose where it says "file" at the bottom, you will get a text file, please attach it to this thread, so we can verify it.

Please install the SSU tool (System Support Utility):

You will be able to download it on the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Once you do that, the tool will allow you to save the information as a file, so, once you save it, please also attach it to this thread, in order for us to see it.

Alberto

• 6. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
                    Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if you saw the information we requested previously?

That information will be very useful for us to better assist you.

Alberto

• 7. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
                      NovHak

Hi Alberto,

Sorry for the late reply, here finally comes the requested information. I attached a zip file containing all additional files (SSU scan, hardware ids from the device manager, a text report from the CUI information page and a screenshot from Crysis Warhead).

CategoryQuestionsAnswers (N/A if not applicable)
                      DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issue

When running Crysis Warhead and Crysis Wars full screen at the native monitor resolution (1920x1080), the refresh rate is set at 40 Hz instead of 60 Hz.

Another game, Project Zomboid may be affected, but that isn't confirmed yet.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")Always (100%):X
                      Often (51-99%):
                      Sporadic (20-50%):
                      Very Sporadic (<20%):
                      Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system.Clevo P170SM-A
                      Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                      ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?
                      Hybrid, based on Nvidia Optimus
                      Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                      LFP
                      = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                      EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP : 17.3" (43.94cm) FHD (1920 * 1080) 16:9 Backlit Panel

(SSU scan file attached)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16 GB

(SSU scan file attached)

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                      ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc
                      Likely, an Optimus-based system with an Intel iGPU having 1920x1080@40 and 1920x1080@60 display modes is enough.
                      Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_74811558&REV_06

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_74811558

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&CC_0300

(screenshot attached, as asked in note 1)

Software (SW)Operating System version (see note2 below).Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit
                      VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

I didn't see any specific mention of VBIOS there, I supposed it's the GOP version : 5.0.1034

Anyway, I attached a text report generated from the CUI information page containing the information.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

Intel : 20.19.15.4444

Nvidia : 375.70

(SSU scan attached)

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Crysis Warhead : 1.1.1.711 (latest)

Crysis Wars : 1.1.1.6729 (latest)

Project Zomboid : 34.28 (latest on gog.com)

ConfigurationsSingle display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single display

(SSU scan attached)

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

Desktop is 1920x1080@60

(SSU scan attached)

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?"AC" mode (power cable plugged in)
                      How to reproPlease provide steps to replicate the issue. These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                      A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.
                      1. Start Crysis Warhead at the native resolution, full screen. No need to go further than the menu screen.
                      2. One method that shows clearly enough a 40 Hz refresh mode had been selected : when VSync is active, FPS stay at a constant 40. When running windowed, FPS stay at a constant 60.
                      3. Bringing up the console (press ~ on a US keyboard), then typing "r_DisplayInfo 1" (without the quotes) shows the FPS without resorting to third party software (screenshot attached)

Hope this helps !

• 8. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
                        Intel Corporation

Hello :

No problem at all, thank you very much for that information, it will be very helpful for us to be able to replicate the issue.

In the mean time, please try the following driver, it is version 4501 the latest for the graphics controller of the processor:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26229/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496

Have you try a BIOS update on the laptop?

I tried to look for the BIOS files and graphics drivers for this laptop but I did not find a site for it.

Did you try to get in contact with Clevo about this problem?

http://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_contact.asp?lang=en

Alberto

• 9. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
                          NovHak

Hi Alberto,

This is not a hardware issue, I mean I won't ask Clevo to replace my laptop screen with one that explicitly rejects 40 Hz modes.

Concerning a BIOS update, flashing one's BIOS is usually the best way to get more problems than beforehand, I won't do that lightly... if there was a BIOS update available that is, which is not the case on Clevo's website (drivers and possible BIOS updates can be checked for in Services => Downloads). Anyway, the website only contains long outdated graphics drivers.

That being said, this is not even a BIOS issue, managing authorised display modes is pertaining to the main display driver. I'm going to update my Intel Graphics driver and come back here but let's face it, unless Intel actively addressed the issue, which the changelog didn't say anything about, I won't bet on the success of this operation...

• 10. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
                            Ronald_Intel

Hello NovHak,

I would like to chime in here if that's ok.

According to the info you have provided, the laptop is equipped with the Nvidia GTX 880M. I would suggest making sure that both Crysis Warhead and Crysis Wars are running on this video card. This can be done within the Nvidia* Graphics Control Panel.

I read online and some other users have been encountering a similar issue (e.g. both games using a lower refresh rate, like 24hz). Examples:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-linux-society-1000004/how-do-i-set-the-refresh-rate-for-crysis-27592458/ http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=362913

Crysis & Crysis Warhead 24Hz Problem... - Guru3D.com Forums

Most users in those threads mention that using a custom resolution (within the Nvidia* control panel) fixes the issue for them. Other suggest a simpler test, which is hitting Alt + Enter 2 or 3 times.

I'll suggest giving that a shot and let us know how it works.

Regards,

• 11. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
                              Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much to Ronald for the information posted previously.

To:

I just wanted to let you know that all the recommendations posted above are just suggestions or possible options to try to fix the problem.

When we recommend to check with Clevo directly, is just to verify with them if they have a workaround or a possible fix for this problem, not to replace the laptop, I just wanted to clarify that and I apologize if my comments were misunderstood.

Please let us know the results of the suggestions posted by Ronald.

Alberto

• 12. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
                                NovHak

Hi Ronald, you're welcome to participate !

Yes of course, the games run on the Nvidia GPU, I can see it from the Nvidia control panel and Nvidia Inspector as well, that shows a clear increase in dGPU activity. Having almost everything maxed out, running on the iGPU would certainly make for a terribly laggy game !

I tried alt-enter and custom resolution already.

Some people say the alt-enter trick only works with Crysis.

On the subject of custom resolution, the Intel CUI is too rigid, every try at a resolution that doesn't exist already is either rejected or rounded up/down to an already existing resolution. Eventually it's possible if I use the underscan percentage slider, but anyway, while I clearly specify a 60 Hz refresh rate, it creates its 40 Hz counterpart as well and guess what ? The game uses the 40 Hz one, of course...

In case I'm not clear enough I'll give a precise example of what I tried : input : 1920x1080@60, underscan : 50%, resulting mode : 1824x1026@60, but 1824x1026@40 created behind the scenes as well.

I've read somewhere that 40 Hz modes are used by Intel for power saving purposes, i.e. switching to 40 Hz when on battery power. I disabled every power saving feature on the CUI in the hope the 40 Hz modes would be removed, but that didn't work.

@Alberto : That's fine, no harm done !

My theory on this problem is that some games choose the first display mode that shows up for a given resolution, no matter the refresh rate. It's fine for desktop users since the first mode that comes up has the nominal refresh rate, but since the Intel HD Graphics driver adds a 40 Hz counterpart to every mode for power saving purposes, all laptop users using the Intel GPU as their display manager will encounter this problem with these games.

EDIT : Forgot to say, but I had updated to the latest 4600 drivers before posting this.

• 13. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
                                  Ronald_Intel

Hi again NovHak,

To expand on your comment about the Intel CUI custom resolution, this is being addressed as we speak. A new driver is in the works that should correct the issue most people get (e.g. "custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth"). All updates on this topic are posted here: [9024844] Custom resolution not working

Even with the Intel CUI custom resolution working correctly, I'm still intrigued by the Crysis Warhead* behavior you reported. Mainly because I was under the impression that because the game was running on the Nvidia* GPU, the custom resolution workaround would have to be done within the Nvidia* Graphics CUI. I hate guessing, so let me test this game with a Laptop I have here that features both discrete and integrated graphics (hybrid graphics).

My test won't be apples to apples since this laptop has Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 + Nvidia* GTX 970M, but at least would let me see if I can come up with another workaround.

I'll try to get some results in a week.

• 14. Re: How can I remove 40 Hz modes from my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600's list of display modes ?
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much once again to Ronald for the comments above.

To :

Thank you very much for providing all those details about this matter.
                                    At this point the best thing to do will be to wait for the results from Ronald to find out if there is a possible solution for this issue.

Regards

Alberto

1 2 Previous Next