1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 4:21 PM by floydg

clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive

floydg

Looking for reference documentation discussing the process of replicating my development system environment and image to a secondary storage device (SD Card or USB Thumb Drive) to allow for quick upgrade to newly birthed systems.

Can this be performed in the BIOS?

I have an OSTRO image in eMMC, that I need to backup/save to secondary storage. And then I shall flash my working Ubuntu image from the USB Thumb drive into the eMMC.

• 1. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
          floydg

I have tried the following with no success, possibly due to FAT32 file limitations of 4GB (Ostro does not recognize SD Card as NTFS or exFat).

SD Card 16GB - mmcblk1

root@intel-corei7-64:~# lsblk

NAME         MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT

mmcblk0rpmb  179:40   0    4M  0 disk

mmcblk0boot0 179:8    0    4M  1 disk

mmcblk0boot1 179:16   0    4M  1 disk

mmcblk0      179:0    0 14.7G  0 disk

|-mmcblk0p1  179:1    0   15M  0 part

|-mmcblk0p2  179:2    0   15M  0 part

`-mmcblk0p3  179:3    0 14.7G  0 part /

mmcblk1      179:48   0 14.4G  0 disk

`-mmcblk1p1  179:49   0 14.4G  0 part

mmcblk0gp0   179:24   0    4M  0 disk

mmcblk0gp3   179:32   0    4M  0 disk

mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /mnt

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/joule_backup.img

root@intel-corei7-64:/dev# dd if=/dev/mmcblk0  of=/mnt/joule_backup.img

dd: writing '/mnt/joule_backup.img': File too large

8388609+0 records in

8388607+1 records out

root@intel-corei7-64:/dev#

• 2. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Floydg,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Joule Platform.

Thanks for all the information provided, I believe that the message you are getting is due to FAT32 file limitation of 4GB as you mentioned above. We would like to suggest you to try to compress the mmcblk0 files, take a look at this link: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/ddcommand.htm, maybe that information could help you with this.

Hope this information helps, if you have any questions or updates, let us know, please.

Regards,
            -Yermi

• 3. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
              floydg

Updated Joule BIOS to latest BIOS

Performed Clone to SD Card:

Formatted SD Card on Win7 Fat32 block size 4K

Ostro image to SD Card Clone (time ~13 minutes

1.    mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /mnt
              2. dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | gzip > /mnt/joule_image.gz

root@intel-corei7-64:~# mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /mnt

root@intel-corei7-64:~# dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | gzip > /mnt/joule_image.gz

30760960+0 records in

30760960+0 records out

root@intel-corei7-64:~#

root@intel-corei7-64:~# ls -l /mnt

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root root     816643768 Nov 16 15:18 joule_image.gz

Restore SD Card to eMMC memory

1.    Mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /mnt
              2.       gzip -dc /mnt/joule_image.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0

command line output errors did occur, which I was not able to capture.

The Joule system eventually rebooted, and the display output was continuous. Powered the Joule off and then on.

Error

20161116_075416.jpg

• 4. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
                Intel Corporation

Hi Floydg,

Thanks for all details provided, please let us investigate and as soon as we find helpful information we’ll let you know. We’ll appreciate your patience.

Regards,
                -Yermi

• 5. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
                  floydg

Thanks.

As a side note, I followed the online Intel document to flash the on-board Joule eMMC using a USB and or SD Card (with the "default/golden" Ostro image), and was unsuccessful. Was using the latest Joule BIOS.

Have you successfully performed this procedure?

• 6. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Floydg,

Regarding to clone the image you can also format the drive (SD card or USB drive) as another file system. Moreover, we would like to know which error you are getting when flashing the Joule.

We’ll be waiting your reply.

Regards,
                    -Yermi

• 7. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
                      floydg

Yermi,

thanks for responding, but you did not answer my question above:

"Have you successfully performed this procedure?"

Please answer yes or no, and if yes, please provide additional information regarding process.

Note:

I cannot tell the system display was updated rather quickly, and I was unable to read and capture the failure.

Also, were you capable of successfully performing the following (yes/no answer would be beneficial):

1) Cloning eMMC (Ostro image and file system with user files and environments) saved/flashed to SD Card test #1

2) Restore/clone the SD Card test 1 image back into eMMC, after erasing eMMC

3) Cloning eMMC (Ubuntu image and file system with user files and environments) saved/flashed to SD Card test #2

4) Restore/clone the SD Card test 2 image back into eMMC, after erasing eMMC

We’ll be waiting your reply.

• 8. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Floydg,

I would like to apologize for not having answered your question previously. Currently, I have not successfully performed this procedure, however, I’m trying to perform the 1 and 2 steps you have mentioned and I’ll post my outcome as soon as possible.

Regards,
                        -Yermi

• 9. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Floydg,

I have been working on performing successfully this procedure and I would like to share my results:

Cloning eMMC image (Ostro)

1. Mount the SD card
                          mkdir /mnt/mmc
                          mount /dev/mmcblk1p1  /mnt/mmc

2. Backup the image 

1. First I tried to backup the eMMC using a SD card formatted in FAT32 and used this command
                          dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/mmc/backup

I have got the same issue that you had got previously.  Message: File too large.

b. Also, I confirmed that this issue is because the SD card is formatted as FAT and the file limit for FAT is ~4GB.

c. So, I ran the command that I had suggested you.

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | gzip > /mnt/mmc/backup

And I was able to clone the image, please check the picture below.

d. Then, I checked for the file in the SD card, see the following picture

Note: I tried to use the SD card formatted in NTFS and exFat, but I got these error messages:
                          NFTS

exFAT

Restore SD card to eMMC

1. Mount SD card
                          2. Restore the image 
                            1. I ran this command:
                          gzip –dc /mnt/mmc/backup | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0

When the procedure finished (I haven’t got any error message) I got the following output:

I rebooted the Joule and it works well. I hope this information helps.

Regards,
                          -Yermi

• 10. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
                            Intel Corporation

Hi Floydg,

I would like to know if you have any updates or questions. Were you able to clone and restore the image?

Regards,
                            -Yermi

• 11. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
                              floydg

Yermi,

I performed the following:

1. mkdir /mnt/mmc 
                              2. mount /dev/mmcblk1p1  /mnt/mmc 
                              3. dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | gzip > /mnt/mmc/backup

Error - gzip: short file

backup file created is 4661248 Bytes

• 12. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
                                floydg

In regards to the gzip error above (short file), the SD Card maybe corrupted.

I formatted as FAT  with Ubuntu, and Ostro still gave the same error when attempting to perform a "clone" - dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | gzip > /mnt/mmc/backup

Inserted a "new" SD Card into the Joule, at "time 0" performed a clone to SD Card

intel_powerclamp: Start idle injection to reduce power

Intel_powerclamp: Stop forced idle

Intel_powerclamp: Start idle injection to reduce power

Intel_powerclamp: Stop forced idle

system display crashed at 10 mins

serial debug port operational.

dmesg:

[  432.009995] mmc0: new high speed SDHC card at address 1234

[  432.021530] mmcblk1: mmc0:1234 SA16G 14.4 GiB

[  432.030240]  mmcblk1: p1

[  453.882691] FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): Directory bread(block 68) failed

[  453.894391] FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): Directory bread(block 69) failed

[  453.902791] FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): Directory bread(block 70) failed

[  453.911282] FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): Directory bread(block 71) failed

[  453.919659] FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): Directory bread(block 72) failed

[  453.928015] FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): Directory bread(block 73) failed

[  453.936362] FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): Directory bread(block 74) failed

[  453.944728] FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): Directory bread(block 75) failed

[  453.952980] FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): Directory bread(block 76) failed

[  453.961168] FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): Directory bread(block 77) failed

[  984.729400] intel_powerclamp: Start idle injection to reduce power

[  988.744045] intel_powerclamp: Stop forced idle injection

[ 1008.800161] intel_powerclamp: Start idle injection to reduce power

[ 1012.817128] intel_powerclamp: Stop forced idle injection

[ 1032.880370] intel_powerclamp: Start idle injection to reduce power

[ 1036.896753] intel_powerclamp: Stop forced idle injection

• 13. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
                                  floydg

Win7 format Fat32 of 16GB SD Card (Full format - not quick)

re attempted clone (~35 mins to complete):

Output from dmesg:

root@intel-corei7-64:~# dmesg | tail

[ 1044.700565] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm:broxton_ddi_phy_verify_state [i915]] DDI

PHY state mismatch

[ 1657.636559] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm:broxton_ddi_phy_verify_state [i915]] DDI

PHY state mismatch

[ 2121.990164] CPU2: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (t

otal events = 252)

[ 2121.990247] CPU3: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (t

otal events = 252)

[ 2121.990260] CPU0: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (t

otal events = 252)

[ 2121.990262] CPU1: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (t

otal events = 252)

[ 2121.991270] CPU3: Package temperature/speed normal

[ 2121.991283] CPU0: Package temperature/speed normal

[ 2121.991285] CPU1: Package temperature/speed normal

[ 2122.045381] CPU2: Package temperature/speed normal

root@intel-corei7-64:~# ls -l /mnt/mmc

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     12801561740 Nov 30 18:28 backupOstro

The Joule I am testing with, for the clone restore from SD Card, has a panic error (crash) while booting Ostro, since the eMMC image is bad. Shall test clone restore, after I get a good image installed or running Ostro from USB Drive.

Booted from USB Thumb drive (Ostro).

image is not recognized on SD Card after mounting: ls -l /mnt/mmc

FAT-fs (mmcblk101):Directory bread(block 8192) failed

FAT-fs (mmcblk101):Directory bread(block 8201) failed

Updated BIOS

attempted to clone to SD Card (dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | gzip > /mnt/mcc/backupOstro): unsuccessful:

[  980.674802] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm:broxton_ddi_phy_verify_state [i915]] DDI

PHY state mismatch

[ 1688.944724] CPU3: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (t

otal events = 29)

[ 1688.944809] CPU2: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (t

otal events = 29)

[ 1688.944822] CPU0: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (t

otal events = 29)

[ 1688.944825] CPU1: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (t

otal events = 29)

[ 1688.945820] CPU2: Package temperature/speed normal

[ 1688.945833] CPU0: Package temperature/speed normal

[ 1688.945835] CPU1: Package temperature/speed normal

[ 1689.010168] CPU3: Package temperature/speed normal

gzip: short write

Yermi:

The 16GB of eMMC Flash is only ~17% used. Why does the entire 4GB USB drive "sdb1" fill up if the backup file is compressed?

gzip -9   "best"  was included in the operation, and still ran out of space!

Yermi the Ostro image you tested may not have been as large as my development file system. Did you use a "best case" clean/minimal default Ostro install?

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on

devtmpfs                  1.9G         0      1.9G   0% /dev

/dev/disk/by-partuuid/12345678-9abc-def0-0fed-cba987654320

14.3G      2.3G     11.3G  17% /

tmpfs                     1.9G         0      1.9G   0% /dev/shm

tmpfs                     1.9G     25.0M      1.8G   1% /run

tmpfs                     1.9G         0      1.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

tmpfs                     1.9G         0      1.9G   0% /tmp

tmpfs                     1.9G      8.0K      1.9G   0% /var/volatile

tmpfs                   382.9M         0    382.9M   0% /run/user/0

/dev/sda1                 1.9G      1.9G         0 100% /mnt/sda1

/dev/sdb1                 3.7G      3.7G     33.3M  99% /mnt/sdb1

root@intel-corei7-64:/#

• 14. Re: clone eMMC image to SD Card or USB Thumb Drive
                                    Intel Corporation

Hi Floydg,

Thanks for all details provided, regarding your questions, I’m not sure why the 4GB USB is filling up, have you copied the backupOstro file, which you compressed above, into your USB drive?
                                    As a note, I have noticed that in my Joule the eMMC is 100% used, look the following screenshot:

Regarding your last question, I’m using this image (see screenshot below) and just ran the instruction I have posted above. 

I’ll be waiting for your reply as well as any updates or questions you could have.

Regards,
                                    -Yermi

1 2 Previous Next