13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2016 10:47 AM by Intel Corporation

Joining the Bleeding Edge NUC6i7KYK

pdavitt

Well, I have decided to join the "Bleeding Edge" of technology.  My new NUC6i7KYK

should arrive this Wednesday.  I am a retired Senior Systems/Applications Architect and Oracle DBA, but it has been

a long time since I have been directly involved with PC's.  I will use my NUC primarily for photo post processing with Adobe CC and other PP applications.

I don't play games and am not interested in video work.  Hopefully I have made a good decision.

My configuration will be as follows:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit - Have already bought and downloaded (to a USB 3.0 stick) the OS image using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.

Samsung 512GB 950 Pro M.2 NVMe (Boot Disk)

Samsung 1TB 850 Evo M.2 Sata

(2)Crucial CR16G4SFD821 16GB DDR4 2133 MHz SO-DIMM (32GB Total)

Dell KM714 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

NEC NEPA272WBKSV 2560 x 1440 Wide Gamut Monitor

Connected with NEC Mini Display Port to Display Port Cable

For the initial setup I also have a Logitech LOMK120 USB wired Keyboard and Mouse.

Once the dust settles I plan to get a Thunderbolt 3 RAID enclosure.

I know this is after the fact, but does anyone see any problems with my choice of components?

Also, In reviewing posts to this forum, an Internet search, and the Intel support site I cannot find a detailed, definitive initial setup and

Windows 10 installation document.  Does such a thing exist?

I have already downloaded the BIOS updates and drivers.

Lacking further guidance, my setup steps will be:

1.  Install only 1 stick of 16GB memory in the lower socket which I assume is socket 0.

2.  Install only the 950 Pro M.2 NVMe drive in the center most socket which I assume is socket 0.

3.  Plug in the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.  Power up the monitor then

the computer.  Keep tapping F2 to get to the BIOS setup.

4.  Check the BIOS version and update to the latest (42), if required, using the F7 option.

5.  Shutdown the computer after BIOS update and insert the Windows 10 USB stick.

6.  Start the computer and hopefully the Windows 10 installation will start.  Select Custom Installation

so I can delete all the partitions on the boot drive and setup privacy.

7.  Assuming the Windows 10 installation is successful, I will then install the following Intel Drivers:

Chipset

Management Engine

Gigabit Network (LAN)  I will be using a wired connection)

8.  Shutdown the computer, plug in the Ethernet cable, and start the computer.

Now here is where it gets fuzzy.  Do I initiate the Windows Update function and let Windows 10 install the rest of the drivers and use them, or

do I install the Intel Drivers and then do the Windows update?  I have read a number of posts in this forum pertaining to Windows Drivers vs. Intel drivers

and there does not appear to be a clear answer.

9.  Shutdown the system and install the remaining 16GB memory stick and the 1TB 850 Evo M.2 Sata drive.

10. On startup check the BIOS to ensure the boot drive is the PCIe drive.

11.  Hopefully I now have a functioning system.

Other than the drivers question, are my setup/OS installation steps correct?

Sorry for this rather long winded post, but I am very detail oriented.

Thanks,

Pat