Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14505 Discussions

One of the CPU cores heats up to around 90-95 degree

idata
Employee

Hello,

When gaming (Call of Duty ghosts, or any heavy game) with charger plugged in, one of the CPU cores heats up to around 90-95 degree that causes the body of the laptop be extremely hot, but other cores temperature's are below that with 10-15 degrees. Note that the laptop turned off (or restarted, I can not remember well) automatically two times because of the high temperature.

By chance , I unplugged the charger, and the CPUs temperature's goes down to a normal value (as I think) between 40-50 degree (the max reached temperature they reach now is 51 degree).

I have HP envy 15t slim quad - with 6700HQ CPU - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0165310QI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0165310QI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that:

1- I bought the laptop a couple of months ago, so, the CPU fan is still clean.

2- The laptop is standing on a desk (not a bed or something similar).

Kindly advice why the CPU temperature heats up when the charger is plugged in?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

I just got an Intel laptop and that must be turbo frequency kicked in when plugged to AC. Both voltages and frequencies increase and increase of power is not linear but exponential.

At least its much better than AMD's FX8150 which needs to be under 61 degrees Celcius but stock cooler cannot keep it under 90 degree Celcius LOL.

Now my ıntel cpu cannot even reach 86 degree Celcius in prime-95 or furmark and it is a laptop and it needs to run under 90 degree celcius so its fine for me.

Are you reading TJUNCTION or TCASE? I heard TJUNCTION is for laptops but I'm not expert. I'm just gaming codin benchmarking.

0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello Omar.Nassar,

Generally, Windows provides laptop or other smart devices with two power plans, AC plugged-in and battery. When charger is plugged in, it works in AC plugged-in plan, processors could work in the most optimal mode, it might reach its highest frequency, it would become hotter. For this question, I think you'd better contact with the vendor of your laptop or HP support. I wish they could give you the fair solutions.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

idata
Employee

Hello all,

Peers, thank you for inputs.

Omar.Nassar bear in mind that your processor, http://ark.intel.com/products/88967/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz) Specifications, TJUNCTION is 100°C. So, what I am trying to say is that any temperature under that parameter is considered expected, when it comes the cores one will always be higher than the others specially if you are running a CPU extensive task, gaming can be conspired a CPU extensive task.

Now, if your computer is restating or turning itself off due to the temperature this not normal, and I would recommend getting in contact with HP since it's possible that they are aware of the situation and provide the proper troubleshooting steps in your case.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos