1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 14, 2016 1:45 PM by Intel Corporation

Trouble SSH into Intel Edison

rbqpark

Hello Intel community! I ask for some assistance as I try to SSH into my edison. I own the mini break-out board and have ubilinux flashed onto it.

Currently I have no problem connecting to the Intel Edison via serial port using PuTTY.

I have been able to configure /etc/network/interfaces such that it looks like the following:

auto wlan0

iface wlan0 inet dhcp

# For WPA

wpa-driver wext

wpa-ssid <SSID NAME>

wpa-ap-scan 1                                          # I have noticed that the edison can still connect to my university's wifi without having the lines with comments on the side.

wpa-proto RSN                                         # Removing these lines had no effect on my attempt to SSH into the edison.

wpa-pairwise CCMP                                 #

wpa-group CCMP                                     #

wpa-eap PEAP

wpa-key-mgmt WPA-EAP

wpa-anonymous-identity <IDENTITY>     #

wpa-identity <IDENTITY>

wpa-password <PASSWORD>

post-up iwconfig wlan0 power off             #

Here's what returns when I run ifconfig:

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1

RX packets:79 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:79 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:8696 (8.4 KiB)  TX bytes:8696 (8.4 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 78:4b:87:aa:4c:a8

inet addr:10.142.34.4  Bcast:10.142.35.255  Mask:255.255.252.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:41838 errors:0 dropped:2 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:889 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:7627267 (7.2 MiB)  TX bytes:92475 (90.3 KiB)

When I try to ping the edison's IP address, I get the following message: "Request timed out."

When I try to ping my computer from the edison, I get the following instead: "Destination Host Unreachable."

One of my peers has seen success both pinging and SSH-ing into the edison with his computer (we are all on the same network). I am able to SSH into my edison without fail when I am at home with both devices connected to my personal router. This error only occurs when I am attempting to SSH while connected to my university's wifi (note the IP address).

Something tells me it may have to do with Firewall settings that is preventing a response from the edison.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance from the Intel community! Thanks in advance. Please let me know if you need any more information.

- RP.

• 1. Re: Trouble SSH into Intel Edison
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi rbqpark,

We’ll try to help you on a best effort basis, even though we don’t support the Ubilinux image. The image we support is the Yocto image, and it can be found here https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/edison/downloads . If you want to seek assistance from the team that supports Ubilinux you should contact https://emutex.com/about-us/contact-us .

Now, in regards to your problem, there are a few things you should check to avoid having this kind of connectivity issues:

1. -Disable firewalls
          2. -Make sure you’re not connecting through a VPN.
          3. -Use the command netstat –r to check the IP routing table and double check all the connectivity and network settings are properly configured.
          Let us know what’s the reply from the Ubilinux team and if you find our suggestion useful.

-Sergio