Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

Is the Intel® Pentium® Processor P6200 (3M Cache, 2.13 GHz) a 64-bit processor?

MMomo
Beginner

Hello,

Is the Intel® Pentium® Processor P6200 (3M Cache, 2.13 GHz) a 64-bit processor? I'm not sure I understand the specs, they are talking about physical address extension on the one hand and 64-bit architecture on the other.

My Problem: I have this processor in my laptop and I'm running Windows 7 Home-Edition on it. Now I'm taking classes in IT and I installed VMWare-Workstation 12 on my laptop and want to run 64-bit OS on the workstation.

When I try to install a 64-bit OS, it says that I can't run those 64-bit OS because my host doesn't support them.

Can you help me with this? I would like to run 64-bit OS on my VMWare-Workstation.

Thanks, Momo

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It is a 64-bit processor: http://ark.intel.com/products/50176/Intel-Pentium-Processor-P6200-3M-Cache-2_13-GHz Intel® Pentium® Processor P6200 (3M Cache, 2.13 GHz) Specifications

Specifically, look at these features:

Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)NoIntel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) NoIntel® 64YesInstruction Set 64-bit

Doc

0 Kudos
MMomo
Beginner

Hi Doc,

thank you, I thought so, but I was not sure, because of the problem with installing the 64-bit OS on WMWare Workstation. Can you give me a hint about the Virtualization Technology: Can I do something to make it work or is it not possible?

Momo

0 Kudos
MMomo
Beginner

I forgot to say, that I'm able to install 32-bit OS on the VMWare Workstation 12, it works fine.

0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello momo1212,

Thank you for the assist of Al Hill, one could find the information on Pentium P6200 from the link shown below,

http://ark.intel.com/products/50176/Intel-Pentium-Processor-P6200-3M-Cache-2_13-GHz Intel® Pentium® Processor P6200 (3M Cache, 2.13 GHz) Specifications

This processor lacks the virtualisation feature, which VMware or other hypervisors need to virtualise the 64-bit Operating Systems, so you have no chance to virtualise 64-bit O/S on your system. I do not suggest you upgrade your processor, but upgrading your processor from Pentium to Core i3/i5/i7, this problem could be solved.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello momo1212,

I believe the peers in the thread answered your inquiry; however, if you need further assistance let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
MMomo
Beginner

Hello All Hil, Aaron and Amy,

thanks a lot for your help, it's clear for me now.

Best regards,

Momo

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Awesome :)

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos