12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2016 10:45 PM by TimButterfield

NUC6i7KYK with portable monitor

TimButterfield

I'm planning to order the NUC6i7KYK and will build it with 32GB of HyperX Impact RAM and a Toshiba OCZ RD400 1TB SSD.  I'd like the Samsung 960 PRO, but that won't be available until next year. This will be running Ubuntu with VMWare for Windows development for work.

Though my primary usage will be with a 4K monitor, I would also like to use it with a portable monitor.  (I just had ACL reconstruction surgery in my left knee and was hoping this would let me work on a lap desk in my recliner so I could keep it elevated.)  ASUS has a couple of 1920x1080 portable monitors that might work.  The MB169B+ has a USB 3.0 connection.  The MB169C+ has a USB Type-C DisplayPort connection.  I think the MB169C+ might work using the Thunderbolt3 USB-C from the NUC to the monitor.  Can anyone confirm whether this USB-C connection should work?  Or, would it be safer to get the MB169B+ USB 3.0 option?

Thanks.

Tim

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK with portable monitor
          N.Scott.Pearson

Actually, you can pre-order the Samsung 960 Pro SSDs through Amazon, with a release date of November 13th (just 3 days from now). The prices are US$330 for the 512GB version and US$630 for the 1TB version. Here are links to these items: Amazon.com: Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD and Amazon.com: Samsung 960 PRO Series 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD. No news on the release date for the 1.5TB version as yet.

...S

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK with portable monitor
            TimButterfield

Scott,

When I checked the 1TB link, it shows "This item will be released on January 1, 2017."  There will be a 2TB version released sometime after that.  What I'm planning to do is get the Toshiba OCZ RD400 for now.  It lets me get started quickly.  After the 2TB Samsung is released next year, I can upgrade to that and use the Toshiba 1TB either in an external case or as a second drive.

But, my real question is which portable monitor to get, USB 3.0, USB Type-C, or if neither one would work.  Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Tim

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK with portable monitor
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello TimButterfield,

In regard to your concern in order to confirm the compatibility with any portable monitor to get, USB 3.0, USB Type-C and wich monitor will be compatible with your Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK. You can go to the following link, where you will be able to find all the tested peripherals until now:

Tested Peripherals for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK

If any of the devices that you would like to know the compatibility details you will need to confirm with the manufacturer (OEM) if the monitor has been tested with our Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK.

On this case for the specific monitors that you have mentioned, you can find the contact for each of the manufacturers at the following links:

Toshiba Support

Samsung Support

I am looking forward to heard from you.

Regards,
              Angie.

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK with portable monitor
                TimButterfield

Hi, Angie.  Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately, the list does not include the information I needed.  Also, the Toshiba and Samsung references were only about the SSD, not the monitor.  The only monitors mentioned were from ASUS.

I was hoping someone might have a guess as to which interface had a higher probability of working with the NUC and Ubuntu.  I have already ordered the NUC, RAM, and SSD.  I can set it up with the monitor I already have.  Once it is set up and running with everything I need on it, I can try getting one of the portable monitors to test.  Maybe by then, someone else will have already tried it and can relate their experience.

Thanks.

Tim

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK with portable monitor
                  GoneNative

I own the NUC6I7KYK and the Asus MB169C+ . They work without a problem together.  (Asus gets its power from the KYK over the USB-C cable)

Regards,

Joost

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK with portable monitor
                    TimButterfield

Thanks, Joost.  That's what I was looking for.  I'll order the MB169C+ also.

Tim

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK with portable monitor
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, I knew that the 512GB and 1TB versions were both announced (versus the 2TB being delayed) and thus I presumed the same release date (and only looked at the date in the first entry)...

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK with portable monitor
                        TimButterfield

Hi, Scott.  It's not a big deal.  We each have to do our own research before ordering anyway, or at least as much as we can.  Thanks for the effort.  Hopefully, I will receive the NUC, RAM, and Toshiba SSD next week and have Ubuntu and VMware set up on it not too long after.  Once that is completed and working, I can order the MB169C+ that worked for Joost and see if it works for me also.

Thanks.

Tim

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK with portable monitor
                          karl_c

Hi Tim

I have paired the NUC6i7KYK with the Asus MB169C+ and I have them working with no issues as a single and dual monitor setup using Arch Linux and Kubuntu.

Regards

Karl

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK with portable monitor
                            TimButterfield

That's great, Karl.  Thanks for letting me know.  My NUC will not arrive until later this coming week.  Given the experience of you and Joost, I now feel comfortable going ahead and ordering my MB169C+ also.  Thanks again.

Tim

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK with portable monitor
                              femton

I have the older version of Asus portable monitor (MB169B+) which is connected to the USB-C port. It works well but I don't think the Iris Pro graphics works with this set-up. Compare the attached images showing a performance test in Solidworks. The first picture shows the performance test result  with the Asus monitor attached to the NUC (score 46.7 sec). The other picture shows same test with the NUC attached via HDMI to a 4K TV (score 26.8 sec).

It would be interesting if you could address this vast difference with the Asus 169C+.

P.S. Also the HD-graphics settting panel don't show with my 169+ when left clicking and it cannot be started from the MS start menu. (This is my second Skull Canyon and the first one was identical in this respect.)

Solidworks performance Nuc II with Asus balanced power mode.PNGSolidworks performance Nuc I with HDMI display power mode.PNG

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYK with portable monitor
                                TimButterfield

Hi, femtom.  It is interesting the performance differences between the two monitors or the two interfaces.    I thought the MB169B+ was USB 3.0, not USB Type-C.  It's nice that it worked at all.  Sorry it didn't have similar performance.  If the port used is the Thunderbolt3/USB-C and not the normal USB port, I would have expected similar performance via the Iris Pro.  If it is using the regular USB port, I'm not too surprised by the performance difference.  I'm not sure why as I have no experience with this hardware yet; just a gut feeling.

I would not be able to test the Solidworks performance myself.  My usage will be different.  I will be running Ubuntu Linux with VMware workstation in order to do Windows 10 development with Visual Studio 2015 and SQL Server 2016 for a client project.