5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2017 4:28 PM by Intel Corporation

SX1276 and Lora

mikaye

The edison supports the SX1276 as described briefly at SX1276 LoRa | Intel® Software . However, other than a brief discussion of the fact that the jsupm_sx1276 library uses SPI or GPIO, there's no documentation on how to connect the SX1276 Lora chip with the Edison. Also, the code sample shows how to send and receive messages via C++ and Node but it seems to me there should be some additional information on getting the SX1276's device ID.

Also, if anyone has any information on how to create a private network and/or public gateway with the Edison and SX1276, that would be great.

• 1. Re: SX1276 and Lora
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Mikaye,

Thanks for contacting us!

I have been looking for SX1276 documentation and I found the following: http://iotdk.intel.com/docs/master/upm/classupm_1_1_s_x1276.html, there you can find very useful information regarding the API for the SX1276 and how to use those functions. Also, the SX1276 Lora chip uses SPI interface and working with 3.3v, so, in order to connect the device with the Edison you should use the SPI protocol and be sure to use the 3.3V (use 5v could damage your SX1276).

I would like to know which SX1276 shield you are using. However, I would like to let you know that I don’t have any SX1276 shield for testing, but I could try to help you.

Regards,
          -Yermi

• 2. Re: SX1276 and Lora
            mikaye

Hi Yermi,

I don't have the chips yet and am planning to get them soon. I'd be interested in working with you if interested. In short, I'm trying to build a general purpose, edison-based Lora private network. I'm less concerned about if or how the gateway communicates with the cloud. In my case, the gateway node will be connected to a firebase instance but it could be anything.

I had seen the link you included. It lists SPI GPIO as the interface. I'm not sure if that means SPI or GPIO or just SPI.

Also, given the API, I don't see how you address a particular device when sending a message or assign a device's unique Id.

Thanks,

Mike

• 3. Re: SX1276 and Lora
              Intel Corporation

Hi Mikaye,

The SX1276 Lora chip uses the SPI pins (for communication) and the GPIOs pins (please look at the datasheet for DIO functions) as access points. We suggest you to take a look at the SX1276 datasheet, there you can find very useful information regarding your inquiries.

We hope this information helps,

Regards,
              -Yermi

• 4. Re: SX1276 and Lora
                Camerart

Hi,

I have SX1278 chip-modules, and have a PIC connected for programming.

Firstly, I am working through the modes, before LoRa, so OOK, continuous, to see if I can make a Morse Transmitter/receiver.

Is it ok to join your thread please.

Regards, Camerart.

• 5. Re: SX1276 and Lora
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Camerart,

Thanks for contacting us!

We’d suggest you to open a new thread in order to assist you better. Please, post there how we can help you.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
                  -Yermi