4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 8:25 AM by Intel Corporation

SSD + HDD with flash cache

Ukiya

Hello, I've been searching google for my questions and this forum  as well but I can't seem to get a direct answer, hopefully someone can put me in the right direction --- currently I have a laptop (Z Book HP) with two (2) m.2 slot, my OS is currently in m.2 SSD (Windows 10), and my files are in HDD, I'm thinking if I can take advantage of Intel's Smart Response Technology (SRT) with a 32 gb flash cache in the other m.2 slot, would it make a difference? or would it help speed up my HDD as secondary drive? or its totally redundant and useless as my OS is already in SSD?

Hope my questions is not confusing.

Thank you and looking forward for any help or feedback.

• 1. Re: SSD + HDD with flash cache
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Ukiya,

Thank you for your question.

The SRT* feature the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology is intended to help speed up computers where the OS is running on a hard drive. It does so by pre-loading frequently accessed program data into a small solid state/flash storage solution. Since in your case the operating system is already running out of your SSD, it's unlikely that you would receive any noticeable performance benefits.

It's also worth mentioning that this technology was released back in 2011, when a 240GB SSD would cost you around $500. Now days you can find a much faster drive of the same capacity for only around $99USD (Intel® SSD 540s Series). Thanks to which this type of solution is not as relevant as it used to be.

If you have any more questions or doubts, please let us know.

Best regards,
          Carlos A.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SSD + HDD with flash cache
            Intel Corporation

Hello Ukiya,

We're following up on your thread since we have not heard back from you.

If you have any additional questions on the subject, or your question has been successfully answered, please let us know.

Best regards,
            Carlos A. 

• 3. Re: SSD + HDD with flash cache
              Ukiya

Hi Carlo, thanks for the response and follow up I appreciated all your inputs --- sorry got a bit busy, you just save me money!

• 4. Re: SSD + HDD with flash cache
                Intel Corporation

Ukiya,

You're welcome.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
                Carlos A.