2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 11:50 AM by Intel Corporation

Galileo send/recieve data

JimmyIsTheBoss

I am wondering if there is a way i could easily send and receive data to my Galileo from an app that can be made in android studio

what protocol should i use

i want to be able to control pins on my Galileo from a button press on the app. i would also like to receive data such as temp. to display on my app

thks (-:

• 1. Re: Galileo send/recieve data
          FGT

Hi JimmyIsTheBoss,

JimmyIsTheBoss wrote:

I am wondering if there is a way i could easily send and receive data to my Galileo from an app that can be made in android studio

what protocol should i use

i want to be able to control pins on my Galileo from a button press on the app. i would also like to receive data such as temp. to display on my app

thks (-:

"My best" in terms of less required hardware and software (not even an Android App):

a) Connect your Intel Galileo to an Ethernet wireless router (all I have seen so far have at least 1 Ethernet port -RJ45- to plug in an Ethernet cable)

b) Set a fixed IP in the Intel Galileo

c) A sketch web server (such as those at Webserver Ethernet(Galileo) Ex., eglibc img., etc.) provide a web interface, including buttons

that's it... open a browser in your Android device and use the web server... This is the way in which I've made several small projects such as those at ftinetti - Real-Time & Embedded Systems, specifically those described as

"Arduino Car - A few changes to the web interface: cell phone and tablet control (identical web access for mobile and nonmobile devices)"

If you really need to develop a specific Android App, I think among the most simple would be:

a) Connect a bluetooth module to an Intel Galileo (Rx-Tx are handy for this, because they are not used for programming and for the Monitor, as in Arduino)

b) Use a sketch for handling everything recived by the bluetooth module

c) Develop your own Android App with user interface (including buttons) and using the Android bluetooth for Intel Galileo communication.

Edit: maybe is worth mentioning another option: use the Intel Galileo as in the first case ("My best") and program an Android App using sockets for communicating with Intel Galileo.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Galileo send/recieve data
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello JimmyIsTheBoss,

Do you have any updates about this?

-Peter.