7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2016 2:20 AM by Tugrul_8192bit

IP over USB

Tugrul_8192bit

There are devices converting USB to ETHERNET, if I plug my laptop's USB 3.0 to a modem or switch, can I have a second ip on my laptop? For example, can I transfer files from one network through USB, and at the same time playing counter strike multiplayer from fast ethernet connected to modem? One with 192.168.1.x and other 192.168.1.y?

I also have a second question:

I built a network with:

• (laptop) <--- wireless 54 Mbit/s ----> (modem) <-------  100 MBit/s  ------> (desktop pc),
      • it can ping-pong 100MB data between laptop and desktop in 40-45 seconds.
      • when I plug 10/100 Mbit ethernet cable between laptop and modem, it ping-pongs in 12-15 seconds so it is 3x the speed of wireless

is the 3x speed originated from 100/54 speed rate ~2 multiplied by: (cable packet loss ratio) / (wireless packet loss ratio)?

If I buy a gigabit(1000 Mbit/s)-switch(both computers support gigabit ethernet), will it have even less packet loss than fast ethernet(100MBit) and in the end would I have more than 10x (lets say 12x) bandwidth increase?

• 1. Re: IP over USB
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Tugrul_8192bit,

I will be investigating your concern in order to provide your further assistance.

Also, could you please provide me the model of your Intel processor or Intel device that you are using?

Once that you reply I will continue with the research.

Regards,
          Angie

• 2. Re: IP over USB
            Tugrul_8192bit

Celeron N3060 in a Easynote entg81ba (acer pakard bell) connected to huawei something 630 something.

When I plug ethernet cable I'm sure of it disables wireless(qualcomm), doesn't use both(realtek + qualcomm) automagically I think.

USB: 3.0 Intel extensible host controller 1.0(microsoft) + there is Intel trusted execution engine interface somewhere near.

Qualcomm wireless + realtek gigabit ethernet + Intel HD 400 iGPU + this USB sharing same PCI-e node

• 3. Re: IP over USB
              Intel Corporation

Hello Tugrul_8192bit,

Thank you for the confirmation. I am still investigating your case.

With the new details that you have provided, I will try to reply to you with further details as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience and time.

Regards,
              Angie

• 4. Re: IP over USB
                Tugrul_8192bit

Thank you, this is not a critical importance project. I'm just learning cluster computing using my opencl wrapper program in visual studio 2015 and 2 windows pcs and 1 modem. I'm planning to buy a fast or gigabit switch to make two computer communicate better. Adding a second link between two computer would be cool for me as it would enable a chance of multi adapter network optimization on software for me so I learn even more. 

• 5. Re: IP over USB
                  Tugrul_8192bit

I just read this somewhere:

Gigabit Ethernet was introduced with the support of based standard of IEEE 802.3-2008. Now the Gigabit Ethernet utilize the five physical layer standard for Gigabit Ethernet using the either 1000BASE-T twisted pair cable, 1000BASE-X optical fiber and 1000BASE-CX shielded balanced copper cable. All these standards use the 8b/10 b encoding system that inflates the lien rate by 25% from 1000 Mbit/s to 1250 Mbit/s.

so similar to old pci-e vs new pci-e, there is %25 extra gain from 100Mbps to 1Gbps so it would be possible with Easynote ENTG81BA? so 12 times bandwidth instead of 10 times not considering packet loss ratios.

• 6. Re: IP over USB
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Tugrul_8192bit,

Thank you very much for all the information provided.

According to your Intel® Celeron® Processor N3060 there was not available a list of the tested peripherals.

Intel® Celeron® Processor N3060

Although I can confirm to you, there are options that will allow you to complete the IP over USB.

For example, you can go to the following Microsoft link, that will be pretty helpful in case if you are working on Windows:

Configuring IP over USB

Although, since this is not an official Intel guide, my recommendation it is to please contact the manufacturer (OEM) of your device (desktop or laptop) in order to avoid any harm to your equipment or invalidation of your warranty.

If you have an Intel device such as Compute Stick on NUC, do not hesitate to reply back with the model.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
                    Angie

• 7. Re: IP over USB
                      Tugrul_8192bit

Thank you, I will inform you if I get hold of a compute stick.