9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2016 9:37 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel Skull NUC Random Freeze and restarts.

Gemi

This is in continuation with my original question .

Skull Canyon Random freeze while shutting down.

My PC hangs after using it for 4-5 hours. I run custom applications. and when i try to shut down, the Display goes off. The CPU never goes off.

Tried the shutdown method provided in the above thread but no luck. The CPU never gets shut down. Tried for 45 minutes.. Yes. 45 Min.

The CPU never went down. Display goes off but CPU doesnt go off. Tried holding the Power switch for 2, 3, 4, 5, and till 10 seconds and tried releasing. But no luck. The PC didnt shutdown. and was forced to take the ultimate approach. Pulling off the power. Was rattling from inside to pull the power off but there was no other choice.

Second Issue

PC Restarts automatically, when working. I really do not know, why and when this happens. But it happens. The system goes down automatically when working and starts immediately. All applications running are closed automatically including applications like Eclipse. Which actually prompt when you exit. I get no message. Display goes off and the PC restart screen displays in a flash. And i am going nuts ....

I somehow started to believe that i did a mistake by buying Intel's top of the line machine which isn't completly ready. After reading threads like the one

below, i trusted the Intel product blindly.

NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC runs HOT!

• 1. Re: Intel Skull NUC Random Freeze and restarts.
          Gemi

After buying Intel's top of the line Skull NUC. i think, i could apply for a new job as Windows Log checker.

I don't have any Games installed or any kind of bloat ware installed on my machine. I just use Windows + Eclipse + MySQL + Chrome.+ Itunes. Thats it.

I own another mini PC from Zotac, which works flawlessly (3+ years of trust.). It also has a Nvidia GPU in it for Gaming. What boggles my mind is the fact that Intel couldn't create a proper PC without issues. Sad.

I am currently working on debugging windows. I shall keep you posted.

Update: Attached the logs.

One is related to the system automatic reboot and the other is related to failed shutdown.

Update 2:

System is constantly throttling down when the temperature rises. This is good as few cores are downgraded to protect cpu. technically there shouldnt be any other issue which should cause these random shutdowns. And please advice on how to shutdown in case of a freeze.

• 2. Re: Intel Skull NUC Random Freeze and restarts.
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Gemi,

We have several KYK units running, but none of them showed this behavior when running some apps in the background. My recommendation at this stage is to contact our phone or chat support in order to check the replacement options for your NUC, see here for the contact information Contact Support.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Amy.

• 3. Re: Intel Skull NUC Random Freeze and restarts.
              Gemi

Amy, Thanks for your response.

But, i have moved the machine to a different country now and i am not interested in wasting time in returning for a replacement. I am more inclined towards resolving this issue.

Kindly suggest on how this could be taken forward.

• 4. Re: Intel Skull NUC Random Freeze and restarts.
                Intel Corporation

I understand, as mentioned before none of our unit showed the behavior; however, I can try to replicate this on more time. Please, fill out the following form; https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761, and post it here. Make sure follow closely all the instructions in order to have a better look a your case.

Regards,

Amy.

• 5. Re: Intel Skull NUC Random Freeze and restarts.
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Gemi,

I  am following up your thread; we are very interested in replicating your case; however, I need the information requested above, so please provide the form in order to proceed.

Regards,

Amy.

• 6. Re: Intel Skull NUC Random Freeze and restarts.
                    Gemi

The issue occured few more times recently.

There seems to be two issues.

-     One is with Random restarts. This happens during browsing with Chrome and using CPU ~70% (Background processes). Didn't see any issue while using other browsers.

-   

• 7. Re: Intel Skull NUC Random Freeze and restarts.
                      Gemi

Thanks Amy for trying to replicate this issue.

The issue occurred few more times recently and below are my observations. I have wall mounted NUC and the exhaust is pointed upwards to pump out heat out of the chasis asap. (Not sure whether this adds any value or not. but giving you all of the details.)

RAM: 4GB X 2

SSD: Samsung SM951 series

Everything Stock. No changes to anything.

There seems to be two issues.

-     One is with Random restarts. This happens during browsing with Chrome and using CPU ~70% (Background processes).

Display goes off. NUC welcome screen comes. I have already shared the log of this earlier.

-     Second, the issue with PC not shutting down. I faced this issue couple of more times.

After updating itunes and leaving the computer not to shutdown and shutting down at a later time.

Using the CPU for ~80-100% for few hours. End the processes and shutdown the system. (Courtesy : MySQL & Java)

Windows Update and then shutdown.

Nope. There were no running custom processes, when shutting down. There weren't any memory leaks in the custom Apps. Checked & Confirmed because, i don't shutdown when running something. When something ends, i check db and other areas for consistency.

These were the incidents, which caused this problem. I have already shared the logs and i don't have any energy now to pull them out again. Also, i initiated a discussion with my reseller regarding this issue.

• 8. Re: Intel Skull NUC Random Freeze and restarts.
                        Intel Corporation

Thank you for that information.

Please provide the following report;

Intel SSU (System Support Utility):

Download Intel® System Support Utility

Download the utility

Run the exe and select 'Scan'

Save and include as an attachment int he Intel Community Forum

Regards,

Amy.

• 9. Re: Intel Skull NUC Random Freeze and restarts.
                          Intel Corporation

Hello Gemi,

Were you able to get that file? That will help me to set up my Intel® NUC Kit as closed as possible to match the configuration and drivers that you have.

Regards,

Amy.