11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2017 12:08 PM by Intel Corporation

Just got the intel aero, now what to do?

ljay123

Hi!

I just recieved the intel aero board along with the vision acsessory kit and I had a few questions on how to get started.

I already have looked through the git hub wiki page to get started and I am having some problems setting up the enviorment on the board for the yocto project. The main problem i am having is wrting the image to a usb drive. The directions tell you to execture this line of code,

sudo $HOME/source/poky/scripts/contrib/mkefidisk.sh HOST_DEVICE \

tmp/deploy/images/intel-corei7-64/core-image-minimal-intel-corei7-64.hddimg TARGET_DEVICE

The only problem is that whenever I try to run the command, i get an error message saying command not found or something like that. Am I missing something I must download? Also I dont know what to input for the host device. I know what the target device iis or at least i think. Essentially I put lbslk to find the name of the usb drive I want to wite the image to, In this case (sdb1) then i type instead of tagret device, /dev/sdb1/. But i am not sure what exactly to type in for the host device.

Last quesiton on the vision kit. So I bouaght this board and kit in hopes of having 3d imaging on a drone; however the more I read about the boad, the less I think I can accomplish this goal. I know th R200 camera has the capabillties to do 3d imaging, however can the aero board process that information and be able to generate a 3d scan that I can look at from my ground station while the drone is in the air? I really hope this is true other wise I am going to have to look for another solution. Thanks a lot and have a great day!

• 1. Re: Just got the intel aero, now what to do?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ljay123,

Thanks for reaching out!

Could you please point me out to the instructions you are following?

As far as I understand, to write the image to a USB drive, the instructions are:

mkdir intel_aero; cd intel_aero;
          repo init -u https://github.com/intel-aero/intel-aero-manifest.git
          repo sync -j4

cd poky
          export TEMPLATECONF=meta-intel-aero/conf/
          source oe-init-build-env

bitbake intel-aero-image

sudo dd if=tmp/deploy/images/intel-aero/intel-aero-image-intel-aero.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

These steps are not only to prepare the USB drive; the first steps download, source and build the board's image to later be converted and transferred to the USB drive.

I also found some steps on the Yocto project documentation that are similar to what you mentioned, in them it is mentioned the following:

For the command:

tmp/deploy/images/intel-corei7-64/core-image-minimal-intel-corei7-64.hddimg TARGET_DEVICE

"...In the previous command, HOST_DEVICE is the device node on the build host (e.g. /dev/sdc or /dev/mmcblk0). TARGET_DEVICE is the name of the device as the board sees it (e.g. /dev/sda or /dev/mmcblk0)..."

Did you take this into consideration?

Regarding your question about the R200 camera, it is indeed compatible with Aero, nevertheless, I’m not sure if the R200+Aero bundle is capable of 3D imaging. Please let me verify if this is indeed possible, I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

-Peter.

• 2. Re: Just got the intel aero, now what to do?
            ljay123

The thing I am talking about is the development of the yocto project enviorment. The problem is, when I type the command

I get a response back saying command not found.

• 3. Re: Just got the intel aero, now what to do?
              Intel Corporation

Have you set the environmental variable HOME? If you go to the path (path you determined as HOME)/source/poky/scripts/contrib/, do you see the file mkefidisk.sh?

Could you please post the steps you have followed up until this point? They would be of much help.

I'll be waiting for your response.
              -Peter.

• 4. Re: Just got the intel aero, now what to do?
                ljay123

Yes the file mkefidisk.sh is still there, I honestly have no idea what is going wrong and this is getting very frustrating. I have followed every step and i keep getting the same thing,I keep trying but to no avial. Please by any chance may I be able to set up a phone call with someone who can take me through these steps. I have already done the bitbaking process, its just these steps are extermely confusig when it comes to writing the image. Thanks!Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 11.46.43 PM.png

• 5. Re: Just got the intel aero, now what to do?
                  Intel Corporation

I'm sorry, I'm confused by the screenshot you posted above, what were you trying to do there?

Also, have you set the environmental variable HOME? You can verify this by entering the command: "printenv HOME". Then please verify that you are working in the correct directory. 

Enter the following commands:

cd $HOME
                  ls

If everything is right, you should find a directory called "source". If that is not the case, then something is wrong. But if you indeed find this directory, please enter the following commands:

cd /source/poky/scripts/contrib/
                  ls

Is mkefidisk.sh there? In case it isn't, there is something wrong. If it is there, then you should be able to run the command:

However, HOST_DEVICE and TARGET_DEVICE must be changed to the appropriate device. I mentioned the configuration you must follow above.

If there was something wrong, I suggest you to follow the steps I posted above to build the image and put it on a USB drive as those are the instructions on Aero's Github page.

Let us know how it goes.
                  -Peter.

• 6. Re: Just got the intel aero, now what to do?
                    As2399

I tried what you asked and couldn't find the source or the mkefidisk.sh scrript. I have opened another thread which i posted my step by step instructions, i will post them again here.

• 7. Re: Just got the intel aero, now what to do?
                      As2399

This is attachment 1

IMG_2956 3.JPG

And this is attachment 2IMG_2960.JPG

• 8. Re: Just got the intel aero, now what to do?
                        Intel Corporation

The fact that you were not able to find the directory source or the mkefidisk.sh tell me that there is something wrong with the instructions you are currently following. I also noted that the steps include the process of building two different images. I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve there. I mean, you download Krogoth (Yocto 2.2), build it and then you download Aero's BSP.

These instructions should guide you building the image. Please erase any directories that would be coincide in name and start over with the following:

sudo apt-get install gawk wget git-core diffstat unzip texinfo gcc-multilib build-essential chrpath socat libsdl1.2-dev xterm

mkdir intel_aero; cd intel_aero;
                        repo init -u https://github.com/intel-aero/intel-aero-manifest.git
                        repo sync -j4

cd poky
                        export TEMPLATECONF=meta-intel-aero/conf/
                        source oe-init-build-env

bitbake intel-aero-image

If you'd like to build the image, please try those steps and let me know how it goes.

If you would like to simply flash your Aero to the standard image, please follow these steps:

***On Ubuntu 14.04.

Download intel-aero-image-intel-aero-v01.00.03.iso from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26389/UAV-installation-files-for-Intel-Aero-Platform?v=t

***Ensure md5sum of downloaded ISO is same as listed on the Download Center. If md5sum differs, then DO NOT proceed to next step, as it may brick your board.

Plug in your USB and verify the path of the block device you want to modify.
                        ***Double check that you are using the correct sdX, otherwise you can destroy your build system's hard disk.

Enter the command:
                        sudo dd if=tmp/deploy/images/intel-aero/intel-aero-image-intel-aero.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

Then you can follow the instructions in https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/Quickstart-Guide#flash-intel-aero-image.

To update the board's BIOS, follow this instructions:

Download the Capsule/BIOS file from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26389/UAV-installation-files-for-Intel-Aero-Platform?v=t

***You need to pass this file to your Aero, so you can do it with a flash drive or with a transfer protocol such as sftp.

If you use a flash drive make sure is has a vfat partition and follow this instructions (if the flash drive doesn't have a vfat partition the command will send the error message: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error, In some cases useful info is found in syslog  - try dmesg | tail)

***Enter these commands on Aero after you have copied the Capsule/BIOS file into your flash drive (remember that it must have a vfat partition or it will not work)

mkdir temp
                        mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 ~/temp

If you decide that using a transfer protocol is better, you can use WinSCP to pass the file from your PC to Aero.

Then enter this command to install the rpm capsule:
                        rpm -ivh capsule-01.00.11-r0.core2_64.rpm

Now you can reboot your board and you should see the BIOS update messages as below on the HDMI screen followed by an automatic reboot with the updated BIOS.

***DO NOT remove power from the Intel Aero Compute Board during capsule update process. The BIOS might get corrupted and the Compute Board may not boot again.

I hope this helps.
                        -Peter.

• 9. Re: Just got the intel aero, now what to do?
                          Intel Corporation

Hello ljay123,

Regarding your question of the R200 camera on the original post:

We have not tested 3D scanning on the Intel Aero Compute Board. You can attempt to accomplish this with the Point Cloud Library (PCL) but we have not experimented with this.  Librealsense is included in the image which is open source. PCL has some support for RealSense, including some open Pull Requests to deal with integrating support for librealsense although I am not sure what the minimum requirements will actually be. Additional information about Intel RealSense can be found on the Intel RealSense community: https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/realsense

I hope this helps.
                          -Peter.

• 10. Re: Just got the intel aero, now what to do?
                            DGeise

Suggestion:  Intel should consider putting together a pre-fab turn-key development environment so avoid these problems in the future.  I'd suggest building a Vmware Player compatible virtual machine that has all of the software components pre-installed & pre-configured and ready to go.  Upload that and allow developers to download and get started.

Just trying to be helpful here.

-Dave

• 11. Re: Just got the intel aero, now what to do?
                              Intel Corporation

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your feedback, we truly appreciate it! 

I will make sure to pass this to the appropriate team, so they can handle it appropriately.

-Peter.