1 2 3 Previous Next 60 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2017 1:40 AM by Manics3746

RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues

Boyd

I've followed the two other topics related to this and tried the suggestions, but I still have issues with HDMI.

I've updated the BIOS and HDMI firmware, reset the BIOS to default settings, uninstalled and reloaded the latest graphics and audio drivers.

Ultimately, I've isolated one issue:

If Windows 10 is allowed to "sleep" the display, then the HDMI video feed never seems to recover.

One time I disconnected and reconnected the HDMI cable and got a bunch of really small artifacts on a mostly black screen.

I can workaround this issue by turning display sleep off, since I turn my TV off when I'm not using it anyway.

The audio issue is another entirely, that may or may not be related to sleep.

It's true that if the NUC goes to sleep, the audio will not recover.

However, I've also extended my "sleep" timer to 3 hours and come back after turning the TV off for a while (without the NUC ever going to sleep) and the audio still stopped working.

I've never had any such issues with my old Mac mini that was connected to the TV via HDMI.

I've also seen suggestions that AnyNet+ might be causing part of the issues, but disabling it didn't seem to help at all.

• 1. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
          Boyd

I just discovered that I can go to "Device Manager" and under "Sound, video, and game controllers" disable and then re-enable the Intel Display Audio and regain the sound.

However, this seems like it's going to be a huge pain to do each time I come back to my NUC and isn't really a solution as much of a painful and annoying workaround.

• 2. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Boyd,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK

In order to better assist you, I would like to gather up some information from your system.

There is a tool from Intel that can do this for you. The Intel SSU.

How can you use it?

-Access: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility
            -Download the utility
            -Scan your system with the utility
            -Export the report (hit next and then save) and attach it to your answer with the advanced editor option (reply button and then check upper right corner)

Additionally, some troubleshooting that you can perform in the meanwhile as well further information required.

-What is the model of the TV used with the system?
            -Have you tested different cables?
            -Do you happen to remember the driver versions tested with the system so far?

Regards,
            Esteban C

• 3. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
              Boyd

I've not yet tried switching HDMI cables, but it seems unlikely that the cable is the cause since my Mac mini worked just fine with the same cable.

My TV is a Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA and the NUC has been the only device that has had issues with video or audio.  I've got several consoles (and my Mac mini) that work just fine.

As far as the drivers, I've tried the latest 15.40 and the 15.40 Beta Intel Graphics Driver.

I've got the 0x7_0x20 HDMI 2.0 firmware and Bios 0042.

If there's anything newer, I'm more than willing to try them.

The XML report should be attached.

• 4. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
                Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for the information provide, Boyd.

Let me further investigate this and will let you know.

Regards,
                Esteban C

• 5. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
                  Boyd

Esteban,

I think I've discovered some more information:

The issue seems to be linked to the TV either turning off or switching sources while the NUC is asleep.
                  Sometimes the TV will even note "Incorrect mode/resolution" acknowledging that the NUC is trying to send something... but it's not the correct format.

I decided to re-flash the HDMI firmware just in case and it seems like now switching to another source on the TV and back to the awakened NUC will occasionally resolve the issue.

• 6. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Boyd ,

Thank you for the answer provided!

We have seen some TVs having issues to recognize the wake-up signal from NUCs.

What we have noticed that helps with this would be turn off and on the TV.

This is certainly being treated at the moment, please let me know how it goes with the recommendation above.

Regards,
                    Esteban C

• 7. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
                      Boyd

As I mentioned earlier, I discovered that switching sources (probably just as effective as turning the TV off) will recover the video.

I haven't really noticed any audio outages since reflashing the HDMI firmware.

Since you say the issue is "being treated" does that mean that Intel is working on a potential fix?

• 8. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Boyd,

Thank you for the quick answer and the clarification!

Correct, we are aware of the issue and we are treating it, no ETA so far.

Please keep your system up to date to get a possible fix, and it is good to hear the workaround worked for you.

Regards,
                        Esteban C

• 9. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
                          RyGuy

Duplicate post from another thread, but this thread is more on-topic:

I can report the same problem that Mosaic mentioned. Up-to-date drivers as of today (and I tried a recent Beta, as well) for Windows 10 and

NUC6i7KYK NUC and while my 4K experience is flawless upon boot with a 2-monitor 4K@60Hz setup (HDMI 2.0 and mDP/DP) with multiple Seiki Pro SM28UTR monitors, often (but not always) when the displays sleep the HDMI 2.0 port will fail to ever come back on.

We have this setup for various workstations in our office and I can say I've narrowed it down to the NUC's HDMI 2.0 port itself by mixing and matching different 4K HDMI 2.0-rated cables (5 different cables) and various identical monitors. Every once in a while the HDMI 2.0 port will NOT wake after the display is put to sleep (NOTE: display sleep, not OS sleep or hibernation). A reboot does not solve this problem; however a shutdown and cold boot will reset the HDMI 2.0 port.

I have two identical setups and I've only been able to replicate in one of the workstations (i.e. only one of the NUCs has this problem). I've attached system reports for both NUCs, but as far as I can tell the hardware setup is identical.

I'm an embedded hardware engineer, and while I don't specialize in display technologies, this looks exactly like a bad reset/init in the driver that only gets kicked in a cold boot. Odd that I haven't been able to replicate in another NUC with identical setup. I've attached SSU output for the machine that is known bad and have tried to replicate in another identical NUC with identical setup, for which I have attached the SSU output.

• 10. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
                            Intel Corporation

Thank you for the collaboration!

We have seen the following behavior:

There are some TVs that have a setting which turns off the TV after a certain time the unit is without a signal, this feature has been what we have seen so far that triggers the issue.

If the TV/monitor turns off (completely) after a while, then the signal is not recovered, the unit goes back on, but the display is not, which requires the user to turn off and on the TV/Monitor.

Would you guys check if you have the option mentioned in your displays?

Are you using different displays with the NUCs with and without the issue?

RyGuy

Boyd

Regards,
                            Esteban C

• 11. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
                              Boyd

If I'm not misunderstanding you, you're suggesting that I leave the TV on indefinitely?
                              I turn my TV off when I leave the room, so if the issue has to do with some HDMI synchronization then that's probably the case.

However, as I noted, other devices do not seem to have the same issue as the Intel NUC.

I don't consider leaving the TV on forever a "solution" as much as a work-around.  I'd rather just leave the "Display sleep" disabled in Windows.

• 12. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
                                RyGuy

No, it's the same dual-monitor setup with 2x SeikiPro SM28UTR 4k monitors all purchased at the same time. Each monitor has 3x HDMI inputs, DisplayPort, and DVI input. I've tried just about every combination of cable, cable adapter, and input port starting with the HDMI 2.0 port on the NUC and they all have the same problem for this one NUC. I've tried three different SM28UTR monitors as the endpoint with both a single monitor or a dual-monitor setup.

My conclusions is that the problem is with the NUC and it's definitely the HDMI 2.0 port failing to wake up after sleep. The monitors do have an EnergyStar sleep mode when the NUC puts monitors to sleep that I am not able to disable.

However; when the HDMI 2.0 port is in this bad state, I know that I can unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in to wake up the monitor. The monitor will not detect any signal on the HDMI cable after about 10 seconds and then will go back to sleep. Nothing but a shutdown and cold boot will re-set the HDMI 2.0 port when it is in this state.

I just got a USB 3.1 to DisplayPort adaptor for the bad NUC and I can report that this port has no problems waking from display sleep. This is a sufficient workaround, though it does preclude a three-monitor setup. Again, I believe it's safe to conclude that this is a problem with this NUC's HDMI hardware since the second NUC does not have this problem (for now) with HDMI and identical internals and external equipment. Sounds like a very tricky manufacturing problem that only appears sometimes and under very specific operating conditions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello All,

Thank you for the information provided!

I already put it together in order to further investigate the issue, Boyd.

RyGuy, if this is happening with one unit only, please reach us over the phone, chat or email to check warranty options.

Regards,
                                  Esteban C

• 14. Re: RE2: NUC6i7KYK HDMI sleep issues
                                    Mikke

I wanted to add I have the same problem Boyd is experiencing.  My nuc is connected to a Sony KDL-52XBR9 via hdmi.  I have to reboot the Nuc every time it goes to sleep to get audio functioning.  The full sized computer I replaced was connected with the same hdmi cable and never had this problem.                                                                                     

1 2 3 Previous Next