9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2016 10:30 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC i7 for photo / video editting

Willyc

I like the NUC idea and want to buy an i7 version NUC for photo/video editing. However, the latest version NUC6i7KYK only has M2 for storage and cannot connect SATA hard disk. For photo/video editing PC, we need to install large size hard disk and thus need the SATA port. The NUC5i7RY looks more suitable but I would not buy the old gen version.

Personally, I believe the market position for NUC6i7KYK is not that clear. Its outlook appears that it is aim for gaming, but serious gamers will not buy this as this NUC does not allow installing powerful graphic card and there is over heated problem as reported by other users. Without the capability of installing powerful graphic card, another possible powerful users would be from photo/video editing purpose. But such users would not buy this as it lacks the capability of connecting large size internal hard disk.

As NUC is a very small device when comparing to other PCs in the market, users would not mind to increase the size a bit to improve its connectivity and thus make it more user friendly. Would Intel consider to launch a new version of i7 NUC that includes SATA port?

• 1. Re: NUC i7 for photo / video editting
          cwizardtx

I see several options, for starters you can use two 1TB SSD and put them in RAID-0 for 2TB of usable storage and incredible speed.  Keep your data backed up and you'll be fine.  Another option is just use two 1TB SSD and primary is OS/Apps and secondary is data.  Third option is to use any of the prior options but add external storage for your large data needs or just use a NAS.  What size files are you generally working with and how much storage do you need on device at any given time?  I'd still consider this unit viable if I were in your position!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: NUC i7 for photo / video editting
            N.Scott.Pearson

I would also add that an external SATA drive, connected via USB 3.0, can transfer data almost as fast as an internal SATA drive can. The USB 3.0 interface should not be a bottleneck. The USB 3.0 interface is capable of transferring 640MB/s. The SATA interface is capable of transferring 600MB/s. Thus, you can use the internal M.2 connectors for fast SSD(s) and still have lots and lots of well-performing (by HDD standards) storage connected externally.

...S

• 3. Re: NUC i7 for photo / video editting
              Willyc

Thanks cwizardtx for the reply. 1T SSD is good, but also a very expensive option. I need to use storage 2TB.

• 4. Re: NUC i7 for photo / video editting
                Willyc

Thanks Scott for the feedback. Internal SATA would be much preferred as a frequent plug and play external HD has higher chance of causing data damage. Meanwhile, connecting external HD also not that user friendly.

• 5. Re: NUC i7 for photo / video editting
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to cwizardtx and N.Scott.Pearson for the comments and suggestions posted previously.

To Willyc:

In this case for the configuration you trying to use and based on the requirements you need, the options above will the best thing to try, in order to make the NUC work as you needed.

Additionally, there are some users that were able to use a video card with the NUC. As you can confirm on the following link:

http://imgur.com/a/KNSta

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 6. Re: NUC i7 for photo / video editting
                    cwizardtx

A crucial MX300 1TB M.2 isn't very expensive considering the cost of the rest of the system around it.  I would do that, and use a NAS from D-Link or QNAP to accomplish your storage needs without having to plug and play frequently.

• 7. Re: NUC i7 for photo / video editting
                      Intel Corporation

Hello:

Once again, thank you very much to cwizardtx for sharing all those details with all the peers viewing this thread.

Regards

Alberto

• 8. Re: NUC i7 for photo / video editting
                        Willyc

Alberto,

I understand that there are work around by using the M.2 and NAS while this solution will come up with a much higher setup cost that making the system much more expensive than what it can be.

There are many gaming PC out there in the market, but seldom PC aiming photo/video editing. Photo/video users do not require strong 3D graphic capability and the NUC i7 setup would potentially become a cost effective setup. I still believe that the current connectivity option effectively reducing the attractiveness of choosing NUC i7 as photo/video editing purpose and wish you can share this comment with your product team. I personally still not convinced to buy the current product.

• 9. Re: NUC i7 for photo / video editting
                          Intel Corporation

Hello Willyc:

First of all we just wanted to let you know that we understand and respect all the comments and any feedback from our peers on this thread or any other thread.

And yes, of course, I will send your suggestion to the proper department so they can get your opinion about the product, the feedback from our customers is very important for us.

Regards

Alberto